The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

57 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Carson Yeung springs to mind :P

Really? Small Heath are a lower league club who occasionally get a run in the PL before invariably going down again. It's always been this way and probably always will be,Mao relegation for a club like them is no big deal. He even won them a cup under his stewardship  

To a club like Aston Villa who until this season have spent just 12 years in its entire history outside of the top division relegation is a serious big deal, and the fact that under Lerner's watch we have smashed every shitty record this club has ever set in its history. This is why Lerner (in my opinion) is the worst owner of a football club in the land. 

40 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I'm sure there are hundreds of teams where the supporters are embarrassed and humiliated by their team and hate their owner. I'd wager a lot of them are teams that are relegated too, but the one shred of hope we have over most of them is that at least our owner wants out. Imagine how supporters of teams with owners who constantly under fund their club and have no intention of selling up must feel, especially teams in the Championship and below knowing that chances are they're never going to have a promotion push, much less play in the top league and challenge for trophies.

I'm not saying we Villa fans have a lot to be thankful for in recent times, but some of us need to get a little perspective.

Who are these 'hundreds of teams' you talk of? I'd bet none of them are as big a club as Aston Villa FC, a club that up until now find only one other club in the land that has spent more seasons in top flight football in England. Thanks to Randy that will change from next season. That's perspective for you. 

22 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Who are these 'hundreds of teams' you talk of? I'd bet none of them are as big a club as Aston Villa FC, a club that up until now find only one other club in the land that has spent more seasons in top flight football in England. Thanks to Randy that will change from next season. That's perspective for you. 

Everton?

On 4/20/2016 at 20:39, Harry said:

That pretty much describes Birmingham city centre these days. Funnily enough I was out with work on Monday night in the city centre. Of the four of us only I was a born and bred Brummie and we all agreed how fantastic the centre has become.

The amount of building work being done in the city centre at the moment is incredible. Added to that it is the number one relocation destination for those leaving London. I also read its the number one city to visit, outside  London, for overseas visitors. It has more Michelin starred restaurants than any other place outside London. The city is ram full of Chinese visitors. HSBC are coming (1,650 jobs). There's a software company relocating to the Mail Box (400 jobs) to name just a couple. HS2 is coming. Birmingham City Uni is relocating to by Millennium Point, Grand Central has just opened. Loads of flats are being built. Personally I think it has or will eclipse Manchester.

When Lerner bought the club I remember reading an article by one of the football academics who praised his choice saying the potential catchment area for fans was north as far as Sheffield and south as far as Oxford and west as far as Cheltenham. OK Stoke and Leicester are now successful but they are hardly big clubs (it just shows how much Lerner has cocked up too!).

Overall I don't think the location, accepting London is still the big draw, is a problem. Added to that there is no club to buy in Manchester and probably not Liverpool either.

as you say Harry..........The M5 corridor down to Exeter has potential Villa Fans, but we need a successful team to exploit it.

• Like 1

I did often think in the past, we could be successful, with the right people i.e manager..........despite him.

I now know that is not the case.

4 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Other PL teams that circle the drain like we have the last few seasons, Championship teams, the rest of the lower divisions and then multiply that for each country with a professional football association.

Your perspective is that we are hard done by and that no other club has it worse than we do. In reality that's not the case, there's your perspective.

9 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Other PL teams that circle the drain like we have the last few seasons, Championship teams, the rest of the lower divisions and then multiply that for each country with a professional football association.

Your perspective is that we are hard done by and that no other club has it worse than we do. In reality that's not the case, there's your perspective.

We're not hard done by, we've practically been sabotaged by a man who just doesn't give a damn. A club as big and proud as Villa should never have been as humiliated as we have since 2010. If you want to sit back and think "so what" then fair play to you. I have a bit more pride in my club than that though. 

• Like 2

I said in my previous post that we have every right to be annoyed and dejected by the way our club has been run, but you're acting like we're the only club it's happened to. We're not Liverpool fans so don't act like we deserve to be in the Premier League because of past triumphs or because 'we're Aston Villa' or any of that prideful bullshit, it's embarrassing. We got relegated because we are shit. By all means, be pissed off, I sure as hell am and can't wait to see the back of Lerner, but your insular view is daft.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

i couldn't give a damn about any other club I care about Aston Villa, and yeah, I know clubs are relegated every season, but not clubs as big as our club. Nor is there another similar sized club anywhere that been humiliated as often as we have since 2010. If you wanna just roll your eyes and say "aah well" then good luck to you. As I said before some of us have a bit more pride in Aston Villa. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

i couldn't give a damn about any other club I care about Aston Villa, and yeah, I know clubs are relegated every season, but not clubs as big as our club. Nor is there another similar sized club anywhere that been humiliated as often as we have since 2010. If you wanna just roll your eyes and say "aah well" then good luck to you. As I said before some of us have a bit more pride in Aston Villa. 

We're all hurting mate, and we really do have just as much pride in our club as you. I'm old enough to have seen us relegated to the Third tier of football, so trust me, it has been worse. Things are pretty grim at the moment, but the very fact we are so big, means we will get back. The timescale is questionable, but it will happen. Lets hope it's sooner rather than later. Keep the faith. Up the Villa :)

• Like 4

I have lived for 40 of my 43 years in Leeds. I just hope and pray that we do not end up anything like what they have become.  The fans have almost resigned themselves to another 5 or so years out of the premier. We have to hope that we do not copy them. It really is easy to go the same way. 

45 minutes ago, settle villa said:

I have lived for 40 of my 43 years in Leeds. I just hope and pray that we do not end up anything like what they have become.  The fans have almost resigned themselves to another 5 or so years out of the premier. We have to hope that we do not copy them. It really is easy to go the same way. 

At least they got a 3rd place and a semi final in the champions league with fish tank Ridsdale. All we got under Lerner was  3 6th places,a couple of underwhelming domestic finals,  and a nice pub.

Ken Bates is going to buy us isn't he? And build a lovely premier inn hotel  in the car park.

We need an owner who shows their face at the club. On match days and during the week. A man (or men) who shows the players that they care about the club and won't accept any fooling around. 

For me, Lerner's lack of presence has coincided with all the unprofessional behaviour at Villa. We need people who want to show the players and staff that they really mean business and that Villa isn't a toy. 

• Like 2

I think any potential owners will wait till the end of the season before announcing takeover.  

Just like the new manager would you want your name against any part of this season?

A fresh start for everyone starts as soon as the whistle blows last game of the season.  

New owners/manager will be working in the background at the moment and reveal themselves when timing can be maximised for media exposure and to get the fans excited.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I think any potential owners will wait till the end of the season before announcing takeover.  

Just like the new manager would you want your name against any part of this season?

A fresh start for everyone starts as soon as the whistle blows last game of the season.  

New owners/manager will be working in the background at the moment and reveal themselves when timing can be maximised for media exposure and to get the fans excited.

hope your right mate but logically that makes sense. unfortunately this is aston villa, the word logic hardly comes into play

11 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

The size of the club is irrelevant when you talk about "bad owners" - after all, people support clubs with equal enthusiasm.

For example, Karl Oyston has absolutely no intention of selling Blackpool and is basically just sticking his finger up at the fans as the battle has got personal.  They aren't investing, they're dropped like a rock and he's quite happy to watch it happen.  Lerner is worse because Villa are "bigger"?  Give me a break.

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Lets hope your right.  A few more positive noises in the press would help settle the nerves.....

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The size of the club is irrelevant when you talk about "bad owners" - after all, people support clubs with equal enthusiasm.

For example, Karl Oyston has absolutely no intention of selling Blackpool and is basically just sticking his finger up at the fans as the battle has got personal.  They aren't investing, they're dropped like a rock and he's quite happy to watch it happen.  Lerner is worse because Villa are "bigger"?  Give me a break.

Why does Lerner need to be "worse" than Oyston? Oyston is one of the worst human beings of all time, never mind football club owners. I don't see the relevance to Aston Villa. 

The size of the club is relevant because of how difficult a task it is to completely break Aston Villa. Through sheer luck alone you would expect more. He'd have done better by us in giving the job to a chimp. 

No, he's not a sociopath. But he is a **** terrible football club owner. One of the worst in the league.