The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why can't it just be that Leicester are indeed a very good team with great team spirit? Spurs have the best team they had had in years, after consistently investing in top talent for a number of years (we were competitive with them a one point). Arsenal are just Arsenal, would not say they are "shit". Man City have been afftected by the shock of teams getting stronger from previous years in the Premier League, and Chelsea are just an anomaly. I constantly see people taking away from Leicesters feat, to the point where people have been predicting their inevitable fall off from last season!

I didnt say that.

Arse are shit as they were top and blew their best chance ever.

An in form Chelsea and/or ManC and I think the pressure would be different.

But, good on them, they've been the best at getting points so they deserve it. No better season for them to get it right over 38 games.

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why can't it just be that Leicester are indeed a very good team with great team spirit? Spurs have the best team they had had in years, after consistently investing in top talent for a number of years (we were competitive with them a one point). Arsenal are just Arsenal, would not say they are "shit". Man City have been afftected by the shock of teams getting stronger from previous years in the Premier League, and Chelsea are just an anomaly. I constantly see people taking away from Leicesters feat, to the point where people have been predicting their inevitable fall off from last season!

Totally agree, Ranieri has them doing the basics extremely well, look at their shape under the cosh away at old trafford, yet they still carried a threat on the break. Classic Italian mentality, if you can't outplay them, soak it up and score on the break, make sure you don't concede easy first and then see what you can do up the other end. They don't panic, they know they will make chances. Reality is they are doing this better than anyone else in the league, there are better footballing sides, teams full with better players but Leicester are set up amazingly well to win football matches.

On topic: No takeover news?

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Totally agree, Ranieri has them doing the basics extremely well, look at their shape under the cosh away at old trafford, yet they still carried a threat on the break. Classic Italian mentality, if you can't outplay them, soak it up and score on the break, make sure you don't concede easy first and then see what you can do up the other end. They don't panic, they know they will make chances. Reality is they are doing this better than anyone else in the league, there are better footballing sides, teams full with better players but Leicester are set up amazingly well to win football matches.

Remember when we used to have a semblance of that "team"? :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Remember when we used to have a semblance of that "team"? :(

Yes and people were still whinging on here. ;)

We had a structure under MON similar to Leicester but it was too one dimensional e.g. give the ball to Young and hope he could hit a good cross.

Leicester have a little more than that and also a better central striker than we had in those days. Gabby was Vardy lite but never got close to 20 goals in a season. 

• Like 2

On topic: No takeover news?

This is turning out to be the longest 48 hours in history.

Next target, can we beat the Brian Little "2 weeks" forecast?*

(*To be fair, I can't remember if the alleged Little comment was that precise and can't be arsed to check.)

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We were 80% there under MON I'd say, switch Gabby and Carew for Vardy and Mahrez and we would have easy been top 4 not top 6. Unfortunately MON's idea of sorting this out was Heskey and Harewood.

And don't forget the complete absence of squad rotation so the players burnt out by March.

In fact, I'm curious as to why that hasn't happened to Leicester? Or have they been rotating a lot without me noticing?

20 minutes ago, Mantis said:

And don't forget the complete absence of squad rotation so the players burnt out by March.

In fact, I'm curious as to why that hasn't happened to Leicester? Or have they been rotating a lot without me noticing?

Went out of the cups early which wasn't the case for us in 09/10 at least. 

Steroids.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes and people were still whinging on here. ;)

We had a structure under MON similar to Leicester but it was too one dimensional e.g. give the ball to Young and hope he could hit a good cross.

Leicester have a little more than that and also a better central striker than we had in those days. Gabby was Vardy lite but never got close to 20 goals in a season. 

That's a bit harsh on O'Neill - in his last season we had Young, Downing, Milner, and Gabby all arguably at the peak of their game - they were some of the best attackers in the league (hence their inevitable departures...)

On 5/1/2016 at 11:59, dn1982 said:

Selling cheap may get this businessman who sees value as you say but if it's too low it can attract any old idiot who sees us as a way of making money!! We need an owner who can afford to run us as a top half premier league club. There's plenty of owners worse than Lerner throughout the league and you should never forget he does actually spend his own money on us we have just been run very badly of late. Hopefully the 3 apparent bidders do have the money and expertise to get us on a solid platform to get back up straight away. 

Name the worse owners.

I'll give you Oyston, Yeung, Duchâtelet, Cellino...

That's about it for me. Randy may not be a sociopath or a criminal like some of those guys, but then this isn't a personality contest. I'm intrigued to hear your expanded list. 

• Like 1

My point regarding Leicester was that the owners bought them in 2010 - 6 years later they're turning a profit and having not spent £80m+ on players as far I know, they're about to win the Premier League. People will say its a fluke, an anomaly and so on - perhaps it is, but it shows that it can be done. They'll be plenty of potential investors looking at us right now and looking at Leicester's success, wondering if perhaps they can do the same thing. 

Edited by samjp26

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Name the worse owners.

I'll give you Oyston, Yeung, Duchâtelet, Cellino...

That's about it for me. Randy may not be a sociopath or a criminal like some of those guys, but then this isn't a personality contest. I'm intrigued to hear your expanded list. 

Or put it another way, is there another owner out there that has humiliated, embarrassed and shamed their club to the extent Lerner has humiliated, embarrassed and shamed Aston Villa?

I'd love to know, I could do with a laugh. 

49 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Or put it another way, is there another owner out there that has humiliated, embarrassed and shamed their club to the extent Lerner has humiliated, embarrassed and shamed Aston Villa?

I'd love to know, I could do with a laugh. 

Carson Yeung springs to mind :P

I'm sure there are hundreds of teams where the supporters are embarrassed and humiliated by their team and hate their owner. I'd wager a lot of them are teams that are relegated too, but the one shred of hope we have over most of them is that at least our owner wants out. Imagine how supporters of teams with owners who constantly under fund their club and have no intention of selling up must feel, especially teams in the Championship and below knowing that chances are they're never going to have a promotion push, much less play in the top league and challenge for trophies.

I'm not saying we Villa fans have a lot to be thankful for in recent times, but some of us need to get a little perspective.

Edited by Ginko

I haven't been keeping up with what's going on, is any takeover actually likely or are we just being fed a load? I can't help thinking it won't happen and main function of all rumours are to increase season ticket sales. Starting to think like another poster mentioned, seems a bit suspicious that these rumours always come around at this time, and now three seasons in a row, hope it's not but get the feeling it's all a tactic to keep us hoping. If not can we hurry up and get it done now. fed up with Learner. 

Edited by honest_bertie