The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:
20 hours ago, terrytini said:
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't put anything past them either.  I just don't think they would encourage thoughts of a sale, and bring all the questioning and spotlight that does, just to sell some season tickets. 

That's a bravely rational stance to take. Until you remember that Randy's "Shunammite" moment in 2014 and rumours of the "mystery Swiss buyer" of 2015 both coincidentally happened in the season ticket sales period.

More like, both coincidentally happened just after the season finished. Is it really so hard to believe that negotiations fell apart/interest die away?

i would not trust anything The Sun has to say......unfortunately the same applies to anything that comes out of Villa Park or Bodymoor Heath at the moment.

If they said it was raining outside, i'd have to go out there first to check before i picked my umbrella up !!!!!

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KSV said:

Surely when you buy the club you clean out whos 'running' the joint and bring your own. So who cares how bad its run now. Whoever will come in will bring in their own people i would think. Theres noone left there anyway. I cant imagine a better club to buy with so much potential and so cheap!

I think the concern is probably how much on top of the sale fee potential buyers will have to plow into the club just to make us stable let alone get us back to the Premier League.

Plus if they are still going to abide by ffp they'll have to come up with some creative ways to supplement out income. 

16 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Plus if they are still going to abide by ffp they'll have to come up with some creative ways to supplement out income. 

Man City showed how easy it is to circumvent FFP rules. Simply channel large funds from a secondary company as "sponsorship". The Etihad was sponsored for £300,000,000.

Edited by meregreen

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

Man City showed how easy it is to circumvent FFP rules. Simply channel large funds from a secondary company as "sponsorship". The Etihad was sponsored for £300,000,000.

Yes, I know that but how many other teams have gone down that route. It's an idea that is only reserved for the truely rich.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It would be easy to say, 'well the end of the season is just when clubs hear about takeover rumours'. Which would be fair if Palace, Everton and Swansea hadn't all had ownership issues come out in the media during the season. 

I don't know the history of the clubs but I know Everton are publically owned with shareholders to buy out. It was the same for us when Lerner bought us out and we all know that struggled to stay secret. Any buyer buying up stocks to majority own something is a very public thing. Buying a privately owned company like Aston Villa is a very non-public thing. So it doesn't surprise me that we now hear about it when it's no longer disrupting our season, I am sure Everton would love to have kept their potential future secret mid-season just in-case it disrupts the players and staff. It also depends on the club.. Swansea may have been perfectly fine opening up to the media mid-season in case it lured other potential buyers into jumping in, every club has different strategies..

32 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You can consider me somebody who's not persuaded that it's a coincidence we keep hearing about takeover rumours at exactly the same point each season. You can say I'm victim to a 'conspiracy theory' if you want, and maybe I am, but for me once is a coincidence, twice is dumb luck but thrice is starting to look like a pattern. 

It would be easy to say, 'well the end of the season is just when clubs hear about takeover rumours'. Which would be fair if Palace, Everton and Swansea hadn't all had ownership issues come out in the media during the season. 

Totally with you, blues fans get exactly the same thing each year - was speaking to one.  All very creative to sell tickets, and it only takes a moment to look in older takeover threads to see the same arguments....

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool twice, shame on me" but fool me 3 times?

56 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Why is it so hard for people to believe that these takeover talks come to nothing because of Lerner? That's far more likely than this silly little conspiracy.

I think there is every chance the guy is caught in his own hellish loop.

He's sees what a absolute pigs bollock he's made of the club and how much of daddies money he's spent and decides he's really going to sell up. But then, if there is any interest shown, it makes him think there must still be something worth buying...and therefore he should keep it. So the deal goes away. At which point he realises what a pigs b he's made again, how much money he has spent again and then he really really tries to sell it. But then, someone shows some interest and his brilliant business brain kicks in again....

It's no conspiracy, it's a very rich but utterly clueless individual that can't help but **** up everything he touches.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Why is it so hard for people to believe that these takeover talks come to nothing because of Lerner? That's far more likely than this silly little conspiracy.

No need to be patronising, and I don't think it's easily dismissed as a 'silly little conspiracy' anyway. 

16 hours ago, villarocker said:

I have a mate at work who works as a steward in the Trinity Road stand on match days. I asked him if he's one of the staff being made redundant and he said "I don't know yet. I asked about it at work (the Villa) and was told that we have to wait and see what happens with the takeover as any new owners might want to keep people on". 

Letters have already gone out asking for voluntary redundancies I believe and there's dates then for compulsory. Unfortunately we carry too many permanent staff so we do need a cull. I doubt match day staff will be affected much unless attendances drop loads which I doubt. 

40 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Letters have already gone out asking for voluntary redundancies I believe and there's dates then for compulsory. Unfortunately we carry too many permanent staff so we do need a cull. I doubt match day staff will be affected much unless attendances drop loads which I doubt. 

What you mean other than the upper trinity being closed ?! 

But depending how the summer pans out I can maybe see the average staying static tbf. 

Edited by thabucks

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What you mean other than the upper trinity being closed ?! 

But depending how the summer pans out I can maybe see the average staying static tbf. 

it's not closed permanently it's just if you sell ST there you have to open it for every game better to not sell tickets for that area incase crowds don't warrant opening it as they have done for years in league cup games. We'd still need the match day staff for the other parts of the ground which would be fuller due to it being closed. 

On 25/04/2016 at 22:04, terrytini said:

Yeah but it all depends when 'it' started - so it could be announced in 5 minutes, or, if nothing has happened, in X months.

I'm pretty sure no new owner would trust Randy to employee anyone who could make a difference as CEO. With Hollis about I'm sure the Sun story is garbage