The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I just don't believe everything we've heard is in order to sell a few thousand season tickets.  I accept a takeover may well not happen, that could be for lots of reasons, but I think the idea that it is for season ticket sales is baloney.

I admire your belief but I wouldn't put anything past them.

I really hope they get this done soon.  If we go into transfer season without the sale done and a new manager, there's no way any of the few players worth keeping will stay.  We need to show that there is a positive future, the club will be investing to go straight back up and have someone in charge with enough clout to persuade the likes of Ayew, Gana, Amavi that they should stay to be part of it.  Soon.

• Like 2

I don't think the wealth of the owners is as important as some make out. Lerner was a billionaire when he bought us wasn't he and there are loads of clubs with ultra-rich owners who don't do much. Just as an example, Fulham's owner is worth £4.5bn according to Wikipedia while Brighton's owners are apparently only worth £50m. What's more important is the decisions they make.

11 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't think the wealth of the owners is as important as some make out. Lerner was a billionaire when he bought us wasn't he and there are loads of clubs with ultra-rich owners who don't do much. Just as an example, Fulham's owner is worth £4.5bn according to Wikipedia while Brighton's owners are apparently only worth £50m. What's more important is the decisions they make.

Lerner was only just a billionaire and then in dollars only.  In fact it was around 1.1BN USD IIRC which equated to roughly 760M GBP at the time

12 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Oh Daddy, if this happens my Dreams will be shattered. Villa Park? Never Going Back Again because my Big Love for the club will instead be more akin to my love for a Monday Morning. I'm So Afraid, but That's Enough For Me. It's really Not That Funny. 

Oh well, it'll be a bit of an albatros round my neck, but I'm a man of the world, I can take it.

• Like 1

I think last summer a takeover was really close, then at the last minute they baulked over something that meant they couldn't invest. I doubt it would have been price as they wouldn't have gone that far otherwise, although I can't think what else it could be. Financial irregularities? 

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh well, it'll be a bit of an albatros round my neck, but I'm a man of the world, I can take it.

What is this, are you two a couple of communists?

22 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I think last summer a takeover was really close, then at the last minute they baulked over something that meant they couldn't invest. I doubt it would have been price as they wouldn't have gone that far otherwise, although I can't think what else it could be. Financial irregularities? 

I read this somewhere too, that a deal broke down last minute.

I'm renewing this week and it's nothing to do with any potential takeover and I guarantee any potential takeover isn't anywhere near the top of the list for the thousands of others who'll renew in the next few weeks. If we did get taken over I'm sure they'll be plenty who rush to get a season ticket but not many if any will renew on the thought of a potential takeover. That's why I find it funny when people assume it's PR stunts to boost sales. At the moment you can pay it off over 9 months which is a big help for a lot of people. Hopefully we get some news either way as I want a manager in place to sort this lot out as time is of the essence. 

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Wasn't it the Chinese stock market crash last summer?  It could explain why there are rumours that Chinese investors have come back this year.  I think people need to chill a bit and trust Merv that things are being done, it's going to take a few weeks at least before we get anything concrete coming out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Be funny if the new owners wanted Garde.

I'd quite like the idea of Remi being given money just to clear out the contracts of the likes of Gabby and then build us back up.  I think we were a bit quick to get rid of him considering we were virtually down and it looks like we're getting taken over, but I guess he'd given up by then himself anyway.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

I just don't believe everything we've heard is in order to sell a few thousand season tickets.  I accept a takeover may well not happen, that could be for lots of reasons, but I think the idea that it is for season ticket sales is baloney.

I agree I think it was to deflect thoughts away from the two board resignations as well as to sell season tickets. I hope to be proved wrong but I'm not sure that I will be. I expect these deals to melt away during the summer and for the club still to be in the "suspended animation" that sidcow mentioned with a new season closing upon us,      

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

isn't it depressing that there is a 9 month payment plan for a season ticket that costs less than a first team player would earn in a day.

Yeah and if you unfortunately lose your job or contract expired if working in I.T/Construction in that 9months they Zebra put £20 penalties on top for having to cancel direct debit or £10 charge for writing letter to you each time. :) 

Edited by Villan4Life

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

Yeah and if you unfortunately lose your job or contract expired if working in I.T/Construction in that 9months they Zebra put £20 penalties on top for having to cancel direct debit or £10 charge for writing letter to you each time. :) 

£10 charge for writing a letter, wow.  Send an e-mail ffs.

• Like 1

Just now, Gary Thomas said:

£10 charge for writing a letter, wow.  Send an e-mail ffs.

Exactly! I had two letters few years back as my contract had expired. Paid off in full once i was working again! They made £80 extra on top of season ticket £510 in charges and fees