The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 minute ago, dounavilla said:

As much as I believe he absolutely has the right to keep his wealth private it's always the first question fans ask and try to seek is "what's he worth?".

Ans then when he gives evidence of what he is worth, the same fans say no "real" wealthy business man should act that way.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I've also never seen a chairman attacked so brazenly that he needs to prove his wealth. 

If Xia got £10 million for every time he was asked how much he's worth he'd be a billionaire even if he wasn't before hand. It's borderline racism that he's getting the treatment he is just because he's Chinese. Yes he's a very private man but that doesn't mean he lacks the funds. There are lots of billionaires in the UK that no one in this country knows about as not everyone is Richard Branson living in the media 24/7. I think if he was trying to convince people of something he is not he would be showing off far more than just a bank statement from a recent sale. He has done the bare minimum that he is comfortable of doing, he doesn't want his wealth out there for whatever reason and the public and the media should respect that. 

Maybe he is a con artist but on the flip side maybe he isn't. Personal wealth is a very personal thing. Xia keeping that to himself doesn't make him a bad guy.

Not that I think anything is untoward about this deal, but if he wanted to keep his wealth private I suggest not buying one of the most well known clubs in world sport.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Reminds me of the scene in the Dark Knight rises:

" Let me get this straight. You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands; and your plan, is to *blackmail* this person?"

These 2 bit hacks do realise they are basically pissing off the Chinese Government?!

Pretty sure it's the dark knight 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ans then when he gives evidence of what he is worth, the same fans say no "real" wealthy business man should act that way.:rolleyes:

Its different a fan asking whats he worth and him telling.  I personally think he should have said nothing about his worth to the media and let us judge him on his actions when it came to the crunch.  Only provide them details to who he has to.

21 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I've also never seen a chairman attacked so brazenly that he needs to prove his wealth. 

If Xia got £10 million for every time he was asked how much he's worth he'd be a billionaire even if he wasn't before hand. It's borderline racism that he's getting the treatment he is just because he's Chinese. Yes he's a very private man but that doesn't mean he lacks the funds. There are lots of billionaires in the UK that no one in this country knows about as not everyone is Richard Branson living in the media 24/7. I think if he was trying to convince people of something he is not he would be showing off far more than just a bank statement from a recent sale. He has done the bare minimum that he is comfortable of doing, he doesn't want his wealth out there for whatever reason and the public and the media should respect that. 

Maybe he is a con artist but on the flip side maybe he isn't. Personal wealth is a very personal thing. Xia keeping that to himself doesn't make him a bad guy.

I don't think it's racism as such, I think it's at least partly that they can't fathom chinese buying club such as Aston Villa is, "Why is he buying Villa and not one of our fashionable London teams?". Also Lerner being the seller will also play into it too, I doubt anyone even in the media doesn't know how horrible decisions Lerner has done, so they probably presume that as he's selling to some obscure chinese millionaire/billionaire, so the buyer is probably a scammer.

I doubt there'd be nearly the same pestering and shitflinging if it wouldn't be so quiet in the english football at the moment, so the journalists scumbag demon spawns will have to fill their columns with something and get clicks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deisler123 said:

In China, we call those irresponsible sports journalists as 'those who will write a piece of sports news when they defecate in the loo', so defecator (if that is a word?)

Absolutely the very best ever description of (much of) the British newsprint media.

Well if he doesn't have the money it will be a shame, because I actually like his manner and such like.  (whether I would after a season or so would entirely depend on how successful he made us, of course, in true fickle fan style !)

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Deisler123 said:

yes, indeed. I made a typical mistake when translating Chinese into English.

When asking a question (it is a sarcasm tho in that case), in Chinese we don't move the 'verb' to the beginning of the sentence. We just put a word at the end of the sentence to show it is a question, rather than a pure statement. 

Thanks for that correction!

Can I give you the terrytini award for 'by far the most useful poster ever' ?(*)  Great stuff Deisler.

(* with apologies to the Trees)

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Ray Wilkins:

“Funnily enough, I’ve got a very dear friend who knows a lot what’s going on and he tells me that that is not going through.

“It’s got to go to the Football League - they want to know what his financial situation is.”

It's as if he's run out of ways to embarrass himself.

Splendid Ray, splendid.  My word.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Ok. i dont know if he has the money or not but this is my take on it and believe why some of us are perhaps a bit nervous.

What did strike me as odd is when he was announced he was very quick to try and prove to the media he had the money and was pulling out receipts from sales of other companies and saying he had 50mill to give to the manager to spend on players.  I've never came ac cross a chairman who announced such a thing in the past   He was either to honest, naive perhaps (which personally i believe is the case) or he is trying to hard to convince people something that is not actually there which is worrying. 

I agree but suspect the reason is he is a relatively normal human being rather than the media trained, business savvy, image conscious bland suits we are all used to.

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I agree but suspect the reason is he is a relatively normal human being rather than the media trained, business savvy, image conscious bland suits we are all used to.

That and he did mention he realized Villa board had to be more forth coming with the fans going forward and that was his attempt to keep us in the loop.  Hope this is the case

1 hour ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Ray Wilkins:

“Funnily enough, I’ve got a very dear friend who knows a lot what’s going on and he tells me that that is not going through.

“It’s got to go to the Football League - they want to know what his financial situation is.”

It's as if he's run out of ways to embarrass himself.

Why is he embarrassing himself? Obviously got asked about it and is saying what he's been told.

Not as if he's confirming anything.

FWIW its my view that if anybody should be making statements its the people doing the checks.  We are paying their wages, and in a sense they are acting for us, yet we don't know who they are, what they are doing, how long it will take, and so on.  Typical cloak and dagger hogwash that covers so many things in this world.  Just be open and give us a timetable, the world wont cave in !

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Why is he embarrassing himself? Obviously got asked about it and is saying what he's been told.

Not as if he's confirming anything.

Well in the first place he is just funny.  You either get that or not.  Especially now he is ex-us, its nice to be ludicrously tribal about these things !

But I think solemn statements like "Its got to go to the Football League - they want to know his financial situation" allow for some mockery - he couldn't have said anything more glaringly obvious and insightless. (not sure if insightless is a word though).

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well in the first place he is just funny.  You either get that or not.  Especially now he is ex-us, its nice to be ludicrously tribal about these things !

But I think solemn statements like "Its got to go to the Football League - they want to know his financial situation" allow for some mockery - he couldn't have said anything more glaringly obvious and insightless. (not sure if insightless is a word though).

Well depends how you look at it? Is he saying it in a way that he thinks he's revealing the news? Probably not.

I read it as, a friends told me it ain't happening but it needs to go to the FL anyway before anything is decided. 

I don't know.... like I said yesterday, I don't think the sources saying there's nothing to worry about are anymore trustworthy than those saying there is.

58 minutes ago, dotcomsimon said:

For some reason SSN have a reporter live outside BMH, he said he expects the deal to be finalised within days and the reason for the delay was 1. The 'fit and proper' tests were previously done before the sale of a club and now they are done after, and 2. The test checks that board members are also cleared

To be honest, not doing these tests BEFORE anyway, is pretty stupid IMHO.

• Like 3