The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

People 1.1m vs 520k (Birmingham is second only to London)

Canals 35 miles vs however many Manchester has. Debate it if you want. (Birmingham has more than Venice)

Michelin starred restaurants 5 vs 0 (Birmingham has more than any UK city outside London)

GDP $121bn vs $92bn

Parks 571 vs 135 (Birmingham has more than any other city in Europe)

Dry days 123 vs 100

Pre-Raphaelite art (Birmingham has the largest collection of Pre-Raphaelite art in the world)

Motorway connections 4 vs 2

Universities 5 vs 3

Schools 434 vs c.200 (Birmingham is the largest Local Education Authority in the country)

"Preeminent" collections of literature (Birmingham Library has 6 of 8 collections nationally designated preeminent)

So yeah debatable, but a debate that someone armed with these facts would win.

One other thing to throw out there is that with all the canals and motorways there's likely also a hell of a lot of bridges too.  Never know what you'll find living underneath them.  A word of warning for any local billy goats.

My point about debatable  wasn't whether your points were true though I didn't know many of them. I obviously knew Birmingham has more people than Manchester being the 2nd biggest city in the country.

The debate was whether birmingham has far more to attract a football club investor.

For example, I don't see the amount of canals being on the agenda. Nor the amount of parks, literature, dry days etc.

I don't have any facts about either city really. What I do know is that in the time I've been a villa fan, birmingham has seemed to struggle to attract players, managers, investors and even fans of football in comparison to other major cities like Liverpool, Manchester, even Newcastle.

Why? I genuinely don't know, but it does seem to be the case. 

Like I say it's my fave city. I'm biased but maybe you're right. Maybe it doesn't shout from the rooftops about itself.

However shouting from the rooftops about canals probably isn't an ideal way to start.

What I do know for sure is Birmingham has the best xmas market I've ever been to. No, I dont think that's a good place to start either. I'm just saying. Better than lincoln, Leeds, Nottingham. Better than Prague. And by far.

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

My point about debatable  wasn't whether your points were true though I didn't know many of them. I obviously knew Birmingham has more people than Manchester being the 2nd biggest city in the country.

The debate was whether birmingham has far more to attract a football club investor.

For example, I don't see the amount of canals being on the agenda. Nor the amount of parks, literature, dry days etc.

I don't have any facts about either city really. What I do know is that in the time I've been a villa fan, birmingham has seemed to struggle to attract players, managers, investors and even fans of football in comparison to other major cities like Liverpool, Manchester, even Newcastle.

Why? I genuinely don't know, but it does seem to be the case. 

Like I say it's my fave city. I'm biased but maybe you're right. Maybe it doesn't shout from the rooftops about itself.

However shouting from the rooftops about canals probably isn't an ideal way to start.

What I do know for sure is Birmingham has the best xmas market I've ever been to. No, I dont think that's a good place to start either. I'm just saying. Better than lincoln, Leeds, Nottingham. Better than Prague. And by far.

Something tells me, especially on the players part, that we've never really stumped up the cash to bring those type of players here.

With Doug it was always we nearly signed Gaza, Juninho and the like. Nearly being we didn't front the money.

Lerner put the cash in but MON didn't really see past the British isles.

I think those types of players managers would come, if only we had the bottle to give them what they wanted.

21 hours ago, avfcwills10 said:

OMG I took this picture at the Norwich game and now it all makes sense!!

It's been Larry Ellison all along!!!! I even heard he's had a season ticket for the last 2 years to make sure it's 100% the right club for him!!!!

ellison.jpg

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/21/aston-villa-in-advanced-takeover-talks-with-british-consortium-linked-to-larry-ellison-5831307/

''Aston Villa are in advanced talks to sell the club, reports say.''

This is hilarious. It's probably from the piss take post i did the other day 

2 minutes ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

The Britannia has just been renamed the Bet365 Stadium.

This kind of thing terrifies me if a takeover does happen.

It's always going to be villa park to us fans that's what matters. If it means we get stupid money for transfers I am all for it. I will always call it villa park ahead of cadburys park for example 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, westholmevillan said:

Birmingham is a fine city. It has far more to offer than Manchester ever will......we just dont promote it or shout loud enough about it. The potential in Birmingham is enormous and buying Villa for 75 mil is a real snip for someone with the necessary ambition and vision and RL clearly lacks. If we can attract the right manager and give him a realustic budget to work with its onward and upwards....we will NOT be in the doldrums for too much longer! 

Manchester is living on its 'coolness' from the madchester thing in the late 80s-late 90's and sporting wise United’s dominance in the same years. Culturally Brum hasn't done the same. Could change though. Things like Peaky Blinders have made the place a bit cooler and more popular, and it's fitting in with the kind of steampunk cool thing that's going on at the moment. If we have a couple of big big bands/singers emerge from brum and an actor or two, we could be seen as 'cool'. 

It wouldn't be a takeover thread without Larry.

Soon we'll be the top result on google when you search "Larry Ellison", "Oracle" or "11 spineless blokes just turning up for a paycheque"

13 minutes ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

The Britannia has just been renamed the Bet365 Stadium.

This kind of thing terrifies me if a takeover does happen.

Peter Coates (Chairman of Stoke) daughter Denise owns Bet365 also in Stoke so probably idea to pump money in without breaking FFP..

Edited by Villan4Life

The Sun are today reporting that Oracle are in advanced talks with Villa Chairman Steve Hollis, if true it would be a takeover that would send waves through British football.

Must be true, then.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rumour-factfile-billionaire-tycoon-larry-11219446

The Sun are today reporting that Oracle are in advanced talks with Villa Chairman Steve Hollis, if true it would be a takeover that would send waves through British football.

Must be true, then.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rumour-factfile-billionaire-tycoon-larry-11219446

Recently spotted... just the whole two years ago, eh?

Come on guys, the Ellison stuff is purely manufactured. IIRC people on here and TBAR (but mostly on TBAR) wanted it so badly that they basically made up stuff about Ellison being interested and naturally the press picked up on that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Come on guys, the Ellison stuff is purely manufactured. IIRC people on here and TBAR (but mostly on TBAR) wanted it so badly that they basically made up stuff about Ellison being interested and naturally the press picked up on that.

Booooooo Boooooooo