Bernstein/King resign?

Delphinho123

If anybody buys Aston Villa it has to be Bobbys Junkyard, because, just think about, what are they actually buying ?

An empty shell thats what.The new owners will have to replace the manager, the board the team and the staff at VP, The only thing they wont have to replace is any of the buildings.

1 minute ago, PussEKatt said:

If anybody buys Aston Villa it has to be Bobbys Junkyard, because, just think about, what are they actually buying ?

An empty shell thats what.The new owners will have to replace the manager, the board the team and the staff at VP, The only thing they wont have to replace is any of the buildings.

Which is why some may see it as a fantastic opportunity. Cut price, blank canvas with a huge fanbase and great physical infrastructure in regards to the stadium and training facilities. Also a youth academy currently doing very well in the U21 league.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Or the Saudi Prince spotted at BMH, when in reality it was the owners of the local kebab shop delivering Gabby's latest order.

given the size on Gabby, his local kebab shop owner could probably rival the Saudi Prince for financial resource.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chrissmith921 said:

given the size on Gabby, his local kebab shop owner could probably rival the Saudi Prince for financial resource.

Wot you mean Gabby has eaten the new owner ?  - Would be typical villa, we have a rich owner lined up and the centre forward eats him !

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered numerous times, so sorry if I've missed it, but why did they both step down at this point if a sale was imminent? I don't understand.

Maybe they consider the potential new owner a sideways step rather than a positive step and as such any "new discipline" required at the club (as per Bernstein's letter) won't be adhered to. 

Today's comments from King, which have a positive tone, may be more of a "let's hope for the best" attitude, rather than any basis in fact.

That's a slightly cynical view and a total guess, because a lot of what's been said doesn't paint a clear picture at all.

• Like 3

It seems pretty clear that they had a plan and, probably because of the pending takeover, Randy has said they can't implement it.  I presume it would have needed some investment, or at least the promise of some, and would have ranged from internal structure to new manager and player ins/outs.  Randy will think he's almost out of it so won't commit to any spend or supporting any radical changes while negotiations are going on.  So Bernie and Merv were left unable to do anything they'd been asked to and called a cab to pick up at B6.

• Like 1

Its very common in M&A for the buyer to bring their own management team. Not surprising they are stepping down if this is the case.

The comments directed towards Randy are curious though. Why would they take a parting shot if the takeover is so close, other than maybe to try and push things along...

BBC reporting it was due to an email argument now.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36094976

Aston Villa: David Bernstein and Lord King left after Randy Lerner row

David Bernstein

David Bernstein (right) talks to Brian Little (centre) and chairman Steve Hollis

The departure of David Bernstein and Lord King from the Aston Villa board was triggered by a bitter fall-out with the club's owner Randy Lerner.

Bernstein and King wrote to Villa chairman Steve Hollis on Monday, tendering their resignations with immediate effect.

It can now be revealed that their decisions were the result of a highly unpleasant exchange with Lerner.

After joining Villa in March and February respectively, Bernstein and King grew increasingly frustrated at the lack of progress they were able to make.

This came to a head when email communication between the pair, which included criticism of Lerner, was leaked to the US businessman.

Lerner responded with an email of his own that featured a stinging rebuke to Bernstein and King, which they felt left their positions untenable.

The incident was hinted at in King's resignation letter, which he started by telling Hollis: "You will be aware of recent communications between the owner of Aston Villa and members of the Football Board.

"Following these, I am sure you will understand that it is with real sorrow that I am writing to tender my resignation as a director of Aston Villa Football Club Ltd with immediate effect.

"I do not take this course of action lightly. As a supporter for over 55 years, how could I?"

Bernstein and King were stunned by the content and tone of Lerner's email - especially lifelong Villa fan King, given he has known the American since his takeover in 2006.

King/Bernstein do us a solid and leak the email he sent you.. Please?. I am sure it will offer plenty of discussion and add further fuel to the fire that Lerner is a word removed.

16 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

BBC reporting it was due to an email argument now.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36094976

".....a stinging rebuke to Bernstein and King"

Doesn't surprise me in the least. As I posted several months ago a couple of Villa fans who met  him some years ago in his suite at Browns game witnessed Lerner vent his spleen about Levy with a foul mouthed rant.  He really is a nasty bit of work!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

".....a stinging rebuke to Bernstein and King"

Doesn't surprise me in the least. As I posted several months ago a couple of Villa fans who met  him some years ago in his suite at Browns game witnessed Lerner vent his spleen about Levy with a foul mouthed rant.  He really is a nasty bit of work!

In fairness, we have no idea what they were saying about him to incur his wrath!

Bad mouth the owner of the company in a work email, and it's never going to end well.

• Like 2

Maybe King & Bernstein discussed being involved in buying the club. RL, got to know this. Knowing they could engineer the inner workings of the club while RL bankrolls it, RL starts stalling on things, provoking reactions from B&K, all hell breaks out.

RL can't resign DB & MK can.

Only one way there then.

RL tells SH to negotiate sale to xyz and not DB&MK

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

RL can't resign DB & MK can.

Only one way there then.

RL tells SH to negotiate sale to xyz and not DB&MK

Is xyz Dalian Wanda? :D