Bernstein/King resign?

Delphinho123

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

O'Neill met Lerner before signing on for the job, Ellis didn't sign O'Neill, Lerner did - Ellis was still nominally in the chair when O'Neill drove into Villa Park, but he'd negotiated a contract for the job with Lerner's people. Doug didn't work hard to get him in, Doug stood next to him when he arrived and smiled for the cameras.

I realise this doesn't make it true... but didn't Doug claim he signed MON as a leaving present for the fans?

King was on Bloomberg a few minutes ago, seems very much like the sale is happening:

Just watched the video on Twitter. Not sure how to link on here but he talked about having a "terrific future under a new owner" and "events in the next few weeks will put us back on track"

Fingers crossed

10 minutes ago, benireduk said:

Just watched the video on Twitter. Not sure how to link on here but he talked about having a "terrific future under a new owner" and "events in the next few weeks will put us back on track"

Fingers crossed

That sounds promising!!!!!!     I hope he is right!!!

Edited by Gary Thomas

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Still doesn't make sense why they left the way they did if a sale is close.

Pretty obvious the new owners have their own board in mind.

• Like 1

Maybe Lerner was making the same hard. He's done that before. So they resigned to add pressure.

Maybe that was the communication from the owner?

"We're about to be sold but the new owners want to bring in their own board"

Although doesn't really fit with King's own letter which seemed to imply a sale wasn't close, but needed to happen.

Big 'if' about the sale obviously, however, it would make sense if Lerner(Hollis) hired them at a time he wasn't expecting a sale and asked them to create a long term plan. So they did, but by the time they had to present it a potential buyer had been found, thus Lerner telling them to stall and wait. 

This is about as rosy as I could imagine it. 

• Like 1

Hope "the" sale will proceed speedily suggests to me something is in the offing. The fact he said, "We both hope the events in the next few weeks will put put Villa back on track" also suggests they  think the potential buyer(s) are going to be good for the club, which alleys some concern about us getting a terrible owner.  Could be reading too much into this but my optimism barometer went up a notch -

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I think they represented the front end of a different buyer / consortium. They may of come onboard with a view to getting started now but Lerner is selling to another buyer. Hence why their positions were untenable. 

It's guess work but Merv and Bernie would surely had some heavyweight connections in this area. 

Hollis wont go as he is getting the club ready to sell. Once it's done he will go back to his consulting firm. 

1 minute ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I think they represented the front end of a different buyer / consortium. They may of come onboard with a view to getting started now but Lerner is selling to another buyer. Hence why their positions were untenable. 

It's guess work but Merv and Bernie would surely had some heavyweight connections in this area. 

Hollis wont go as he is getting the club ready to sell. Once it's done he will go back to his consulting firm. 

Or maybe they wanted to implement the plan in place for the new owners - but the new owners have a plan of there own...

• Like 1

It's simple

Bernstein & King are used to working with and associating themselves with people who have top reputations in serious business fields.

Randy Lerner is an absolute D**bF**k who doesn't have a clue of how to run a business successfully.

They have both had enough of the useless C*** and have decided to disassociate themselves from him

23 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Because the terms of reference for the football board were effectively been undermined by a change from

"work away doing your thing on the basis that because there's no buyer, I'll be here for the medium term and there will be stability so make your changes on that assumption"

to

"I'm off, so no stability, no guarantee of future ownership, no guarantee of budget for a new manager"

so none of the conditions which they would need to be able to appoint a manager and none of the conditions where, working with a new manager they could calculate paying off/sacking various toxic players. None of the conditions where they could discharge their responsibilities as given to them...etc.

So they write their letters, make clear the sale needs to happen, and that they were basically undermined in doing their jobs.