Bernstein/King resign?

Delphinho123

48 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Off topic (?) but have people seen the Birmingham mail story that Villa to axe staggering 500 jobs!

Wouldn't that put us pretty much on par with Evertons staffing levels? . Pretty sure our last set of accounts compared to theirs said we had about 500 more.  Be interested to see our current numbers compared to someone like Stoke or Swansea 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

What do you mean?

I read two stories in the Sundays, one about him going over to Valencia to "interview" Moyes for the manager's job post Sherwood, and Moyes telling him to sod off; second about an agent walking out on a contract negotiation when he found he was dealing with Riley + the club Secretary. Both designed maybe to illustrate the dysfunctionality of the club's management and the inappropriate level of trust and power Riley had gained? (And, maybe therefore the need to implement the Bernstein/King "plan", whatever it was?)

Just speculating based on whatever straws have been flying past in the wind. None of us really has a clue what is going on, but that's situation normal for Villa.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

i dont get why lerner wouldnt get a new manager in even if the club is about to be bought (which i doubt)

part of the deal when lerner bought the club was that a new manager was in place, oneill was selected to be apart of the rebrand and ellis worked hard to get him in, why doesnt lerner have the same courtesy?

28 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

or riley's position is safe because a good whack of 'recruitment' needs to be done quite soon?

If he can do that with any money we get from getting rid of the players we can do without alone then he deserves to keep his job! ;)

1 hour ago, AndyBM said:

part of the deal when lerner bought the club was that a new manager was in place, oneill was selected to be apart of the rebrand and ellis worked hard to get him in, why doesnt lerner have the same courtesy?

O'Neill met Lerner before signing on for the job, Ellis didn't sign O'Neill, Lerner did - Ellis was still nominally in the chair when O'Neill drove into Villa Park, but he'd negotiated a contract for the job with Lerner's people. Doug didn't work hard to get him in, Doug stood next to him when he arrived and smiled for the cameras.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

O'Neill met Lerner before signing on for the job, Ellis didn't sign O'Neill, Lerner did - Ellis was still nominally in the chair when O'Neill drove into Villa Park, but he'd negotiated a contract for the job with Lerner's people. Doug didn't work hard to get him in, Doug stood next to him when he arrived and smiled for the cameras.

Interested in how you know that?

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know it doesn't matter, but this really isn't what I meant. It has nothing to do with Riley's power or lack of it. It's to do with what Lerner wants, and he is the one who has the power.

If the football board were saying they needed a new scouting network, including a new head of recruitment, but Lerner decided he didn't agree with that, then it's nothing to do with Riley's power, it's to do with Randy's.

Anyway, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, it was just a thought. But "garbage" according to the site's bonafide ITK, and he knows best.

Edit: I'm also unsure why Riley's "power" is all of a sudden being downplayed by a lot of the people who seemed to be adamant he was completely responsible for all of our signings in the summer. That's pretty powerful.

Although my personal view has been that money (maybe to buy up contracts) over and above what everyone signed up to could be causing an issue, there is no mention of money in the letters.

It would also be odd, to say the least, if King and Bernstein had joined without very clear assurances about money to some extent. Equally, they probably knew there was a pretty low limit.  I think they would have been looking at other ways to improve, so their falling out could well be linked to other things.

I think both letters were worded extremely carefully.  So what is in them is relevant.  Why on earth would Bernstein make particular reference to Bodymoor ?  He could have not mentioned it and his letter would have made perfect sense.  So clearly something to do with Bodymoor is relevant.  He then clearly makes reference to reporting lines etc - again, not to money. Neither of them comes even close to mentioning money.

So I don't see as how it can be all about money.  I can see why some hardened sceptics think it is money 100% but I just don't think that is backed up by the letters.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rubberman said:

Am I the only one concerned that cutting the price in half will attract even worse new owners?  I know we want rid of Randy more than ever, but those that can afford $75m may well not have enough to run even a mid-table premier league club.  There's plenty of dodgy folk out there wanting to get into football.

You are certainly not the only one concerned.

I think anyone 'hoping' for a new owner misses the point.  We would be every single bit as vulnerable as we are now.  Just maybe not this year, or next year etc.  Chelsea are vulnerable.  United are, everyone is.  Genie out bottle and all that. The only hope to be found there is in the short term suspension of reality.  In the end, we are doomed.

• Like 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3548615/Aston-Villa-desperate-rid-Gabby-Agbonlahor-suspending-striker-laughing-gas-antics-following-relegation.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Paddy Riley’s continued presence also continues to perplex, given his prominent role in assembling a squad who have amassed just 16 points.

Sportsmail can reveal that Riley, the head of recruitment, amazingly believed Villa were in possession of a top-12 team at the start of this season.

His gross misjudgment was followed by friction with both Tim Sherwood and Remi Garde over signings and a startling arrangement of scouts, with one covering the German Bundesliga while actually living in Australia.

Riley was the driving force behind signing Traore from Barcelona for £7million, yet the 20-year-old has been judged too raw to play. 

While most players have salary cuts of up to 50 per cent in the Championship, Adama is believed to have no such clause and by the terms of his contract is due to see his £40,000 a week wage rise by half.

But Riley, who is married to a key member of the finance team, stays on with sources speculating his good bond with Lerner is a factor.

So maybe not being able to get rid of Riley was an issue ...

• Like 1