Bernstein/King resign?

Delphinho123

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

Reading their two letters again I think the following things stand out:

it's not about cash or money.

The football board talked to the owner today. Bernstein says essentially that the role he was told he had, to oversee football operations has been undermined. Their plan was radical and has been rejected - that Randy wanted to "compromise" (i.e. water down) the plan.

King basically just says "I can't work with you any more. GTFO" because what we were appointed to do has been "stalled".

So whatever agreements were made a month ago and whatever the football board plans were, Randy and (I suspect Krulak) have not stuck to their side of the agreement. Randy rejected the proposals of the FB.

If it was (just) about money, that would come out in the wording. Plus, there's no way the football board would have been told they had responsibility for providing funding to the manager. That would always be the main board.

It's about people going back on their word. It's about people not listening and taking advice. It's about trust.

I think you're right Pete, but I do think that money is at the root of all our evils.  For example, the football board might have identified David Moyes say, who has in part agreed subject to certain guarantees, that Lerner can't afford to sign off on.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Based on the noises we've heard over the course of the day I'd guess at Lerner has passed up at a chance to appoint Moyes.

Why ? The only 'noise' about Moyes was from him that he hadn't been approached at all.  Hardly supports your theory. Of course you may well be right, but not based on the Moyes story.

I doubt it is to do with Managers, but if it was, the opposite is just as likely, that the Board had their man but with Moyes declaring himself Randy overruled.

As I say, I doubt either would be so fundamental as to cause them to resign - although perceived interference might.

The funding issue which came out at the weekend had already troubled me, and my thought was that given Hollis (if he is ghost Lerner trying to run the Club properly) will have agreed a spending framework amount sometime back, the only reason for a funding delay now would be if the requested amount was very significantly higher than agreed.  The reason for this could be that the/any prospective manager wants players contracts paid up.  That is the only feasible thing that I can think could have happened to cause the 'waiting on finance' story over the weekend. (Other than Lerner being asleep)

Of course there is now another feasible reason for holding up spending - if he's selling he wont sanction spending. If he wont sanction spending nothing useful can go ahead.

So what do we have...............If we assume nobody is lying, we are left with;

a sale imminent, (Hollis)

Moyes keen but not approached - (does his declared interest  lead to what happens later ?) , (Moyes)

99% of the way towards a new Manager, (Hollis)

Little and Bevington (no mention of him anywhere, unlike Little) still 'on board' (sic), (fact)

a block on spending commitments, (unattributed)

progress having 'stalled' on culture and capacity, (thus King can no longer carry out the role he was asked to do) (King)

and no restructure - which will 'require no compromise'.(Bernstein).

If I take all that together it could say Board have candidate, Lerner thinks Sale 'close' so wont commit, 2 guys go as undermined.  But that would mean King and Bernstein were kept unaware of the closeness of a sale, OR, that they were told their positions (and decisions) would be unaffected until it happened. I can't imagine the former, but I can imagine the latter, and that they feel that has not been adhered to.

And whatever has happened has NOT, presumably, left Little untenable, nor Hollis.  So its bad enough for 2 to go, but leave 2 (3 with Bevington) unaffected ....

IMO the owner has gone back on some form of agreement - hard to believe EVEN he would simply say "oh, no, sorry, I didn't mean I would fund you " - more chance he has said "things have changed, sorry guys".

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It looks like some people at the top have realised how much of a mess they have made. Time to clean this brothel out!

I think King and Bernstein were/are aware of the problems and have the solutions, but it seems Lerner is refusing to delegate power to them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

No chance mate.

If not my earlier point, perhaps Lerner wants to keep what we have because of the pay-off required to feck em all off and King and Bernstein aren't in agreement. If so, that makes me think of only one man capable of coming in and kicking players arses - Nigel Pearson. 

That would pretty much go against a lot of professional opinion out there at the moment. Not appointing Pearson, the keeping of the shit that relegated us. 

28 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm not so sure that the board were keen on Moyes. I can't remember the exact wording but it appeared as if they were looking for somebody with recent and extensive Championship experience which Moyes doesn't have. There was also that story recently about Pearson being lined up along with Chris Powell. Perhaps we were going to go for them and but Lerner pulled the plug when Moyes declared his interest?

Probably isn't the case but nothing's really that clear.

At least as possible as the other way around, I'd agree.

Been said a few times on here this season but it really  is difficult to put into words how much of a shambles Aston Villa has become. Where the **** do we go from here?

Edited by Arj Guy

2 minutes ago, villarocker said:

If not my earlier point, perhaps Lerner wants to keep what we have because of the pay-off required to feck em all off and King and Bernstein aren't in agreement. If so, that makes me think of only one man capable of coming in and kicking players arses - Nigel Pearson. 

That would pretty much go against a lot of professional opinion out there at the moment. Not appointing Pearson, the keeping of the shit that relegated us. 

Too hard to say from the info we have, but what is clear is that Lerner does not want to spend.

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It takes away from it just being negative news about the club. I think you're deluding yourself again 

I'm not sure Hollis would effectively lie straight out ?

It is at least possible it is true - no I'm not clinging to hope or anything, I just think it is possible.  'The Club' is Hollis - he would - you would expect - have approved that statement.

• Like 1

If Hollis is told to put a 'positive' spin on this appalling news, which makes the club even more of a laughing stock than it currently is, he'll sanction the story of 'sale negotiations'.

This is a classic AVFC diversion!

All things being equal, if Randy doesn't spend, then neither should Villa fans. 

A complete vacation of Villa Park would get the point across. And no merchandise purchases either. Any money you planned to give to Lerner, you should not.

Any tickets you have, you should toss them. I know it's easy for me to say, but my God, we should use what little power we have to good effect.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 4