Weekends football 15/17 April

andykeenan

5 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Probably a vital point. Swansea at home should be three points to get them to 76.

Then they have Manure away, Everton at home, then Chelsea away at the final day of the season. At most I see them getting 4 points out of that to get them to 80.

Spurs have Stoke away, West Brom at home, Chelsea away, Southampton at home, then Newcastle away. They would have to win all five to win the title on GD.

It would take a complete implosion for Leicester to lose this, and even if that happened they are helped by Spurs being Spurs.

There is no way Chelsea will be lifting a leg on the final day if any sort of result will hand Spurs the league title.

As soon as it went 1 nil City yesterday Chelsea just gave up, don't think they had one shot at Hart for the last 40 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Seem lacklustre and they have no options other than their first team that can change a game. Enrique is now paying for not rotating his squad enough earlier in the season. 

how can you rotate a team when Messi demands to play every week

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Seem lacklustre and they have no options other than their first team that can change a game. Enrique is now paying for not rotating his squad enough earlier in the season. 

I think that's where their transfer ban has held them back and Turan looks a bit of a waste of time.  Still fancy their chances to do the double, I thought Messi was a lot brighter and played further upfield.  Decent goalkeeping and a fluke own goal cost them tonight, but credit to Pako.

The title run in has suddenly got very interesting. Barcelona have collapsed by their standards. When was the last time they lost three league games in a row? Perhaps when they had already mathematically secured the title one year but during the business end of the season? I'd imagine it's been donkeys years.   

They are level on points with Atleti and a point ahead of Real but hold the head to head advantage over both teams.  Can they just start another amazing run of form or is a montg where they have been eliminated from the Champions League and collected one point from four games a slide which cannot be addressed overnight? 

Just looking at the remaining fixtures of the three clubs. They have all played 33 games.  

Barcelona (76 points) :-

Deportivo (a)

Gijon (h)

Betis (a)

Espanyol (h)

Granada (a)

All teams in the bottom half, Granada and Gijon fighting for their lives while Deportivo, Betis & Espanyol are flirting with relegation but will probably be ok.  Espanyol of course is Barcelona's cross city derby but it's such a one sided affair that I can't see the local nature of the fixture meaning much. 

Atletico Madrid (76 points)

Athletic Bilbao (a)

Malaga (h)

Rayo (h)

Levante (a)

Celta Vigo (h)

Atleti have the head to head record over Real. They also have the Champions League fixtures against Bayern either side of the Rayo game.  

Real Madrid (75 points)

Villarreal (h)

Rayo (a)

Sociedad (a)

Valencia (h)

Deportivo (a)

Yep. I'm starting to feel lazy in typing all this now.  Can you tell.  Real also have the Champions League fixtures against Manchester City, either side of the Sociedad fixture this time. I guess Rayo also being based in the city of Madrid helps a bit with the travelling in a busy week but both Real and Atleti appear to have a tougher run in than Barca. It's just Barca's form which strikes me as being the biggest factor.  I quite fancy Atleti to win the league now. 

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

how can you rotate a team when Messi demands to play every week

True he's the one constant, they have rested the other two occasionally. Thats the problem for them,they have no-one anywhere near as good to come in. Last season they at least had Pedro.

Â