Weekends football 15/17 April

andykeenan

Rashford had enough contact from Hutton yesterday to have gone down in the box, which would most likely have gotten him a penalty. He stayed on his feet and got nothing.

If refs want to stop players going down easily (fnar), they need to award penalties even if the player doesn't hit the deck. 

Not saying this was a penalty, in fact it blatantly wasn't, but there was a duel with the defender and Vardy went down. I think it's understandable, and completely different from an air tumble. Not a second yellow IMO.

Personally I think the yellow card is harsh, I think a goal kick would have been the right outcome. It's not a penalty, although there's definite contact from the defender. 

Whichever, you've got to say it's bold refereeing and that once he'd made his decision, to then send Vardy off at Leicester for diving in the biggest game in their history and potentially have a massive impact on the title race takes massive balls. I think some referee's wouldn't have reached for the card because they didn't think it was merited and a lot would have kept the card in their pocket because of the weight of the decision. Fair play to him for backing his convictions.

• Like 1

Â