Mellberg vs Laursen

maqroll

Mellberg v Laursen  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better CB for Villa?

• Olof Mellberg
    • Martin Laursen

Laursen, when fit, was outstanding. That year when he was a regular, he was man of the match most games. Second only to McGrath for me

However, if you needed to rely on someone for a whole season then it was Mellberg as he was a model of consistency. Laursen, due to his injuries, you just couldn't bank on him playing every game.

FWIW I rate Ehiogu and Southgate above Mellberg in terms of quality. Also when Staunton played in the centre of a back 3, he was magnificent.

• Like 2

On 17 April 2016 at 20:03, Xela said:

Laursen, when fit, was outstanding. That year when he was a regular, he was man of the match most games. Second only to McGrath for me

However, if you needed to rely on someone for a whole season then it was Mellberg as he was a model of consistency. Laursen, due to his injuries, you just couldn't bank on him playing every game.

FWIW I rate Ehiogu and Southgate above Mellberg in terms of quality. Also when Staunton played in the centre of a back 3, he was magnificent.

Gareth Barry did very well when he played in a back 3 too. Although I agree about Southgate and Ehiogu, they did benefit from playing with God.

Â