Scouting network

ermie123

SC list feature image cheap players 2016

Updated for patch 16.3

Welcome to the most comprehensive list of best FM 2016 cheap players. We all love finding the bargain buys of FM16, but sometimes your opinions need reinforcement, that is where we come in. We offer you in depth player profiles, asking prices, ratings and much more. Our list is completely interactive so you can scout the best FM 2016 cheap players.

http://footballmanagerstory.com/scout/best-fm-2016-cheap-players/

There you go, all the club need to do is shell out £50 for the game and get scouting. I bet you can even do it from you home in Australia.

Edited by sne

On 4/10/2016 at 17:03, briny_ear said:

Would expect the manager to bring in his own coaching staff but not scouting staff? That's something for the club to put in place and make sure we are building a competent and sustainable squad regardless of who is the manager.

[My iPhone just tried to correct "the manager" to "hyena agent".]

To be honest I think it is part of the problem.  The manager has to have at least a say in picking the scouting network it has to be people that know him,  know what he wants and how he works and people he can trust and work with.  Not a team imposed on him

45 minutes ago, Richard said:

The manager has to have at least a say in picking the scouting network it has to be people that know him,  know what he wants and how he works and people he can trust and work with.  Not a team imposed on him

Yes, that was the old way. I dunno if that's possible, quite, in this day and age, though. Scouting is far more world wide these days, basically more scouts are needed. I think perhaps a trusted one or two of his own picking - people either already in place with a good record, or people he brings in are definitely a good idea, essential even. Beyond that a club should have a network that stays in place, so there's not massive disruption when a manager leaves. So the network is more permanent, and the manager has a couple of trusted judges that he can send to watch people in the flesh, when they're suggested?

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd bump this old forgotten thread.

what is the situation with our scouting network, do we have any?

Almost get the feeling we has as many scouts at VT (at least 1) that club has.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Thought I'd bump this old forgotten thread.

what is the situation with our scouting network, do we have any?

Almost get the feeling we has as many scouts at VT (at least 1) that club has.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Mosr of them were sacked few weeks before Bruce went

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Mosr of them were sacked few weeks before Bruce went

Yeah that's what I thought.

Hope the club is getting some new faces in and working (smart) with some agencies until then so we can get some new players in January.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Watch this video re: Brentford i just watched it on linkedin as their Co-Director of Football Rasmus Ankerson  is one of my connections:

We should be doing this with undervalued players.. and keep scouting them to see if fit our criteria:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11636616/ankersen-co-director-of-brentford-reaction?fbclid=IwAR0sHJy5dIPj9rPUDWKbu9ULA8tvWSC-G4D5bvrGkKVpLHkD_H91sjViJ_w

Edited by Villan4Life

3 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Watch this video re: Brentford i just watched it on linkedin as Rasmus is one of my connections:

We should be doing this with undervalued players.. and keep scouting them to see if fit our criteria:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11636616/ankersen-co-director-of-brentford-reaction?fbclid=IwAR0sHJy5dIPj9rPUDWKbu9ULA8tvWSC-G4D5bvrGkKVpLHkD_H91sjViJ_w

In hindsight some of the players we got when Riley was in charge here were decent examples of that.  I guess luck and having the right manager and coaches are just as important.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

In hindsight some of the players we got when Riley was in charge here were decent examples of that.  I guess luck and having the right manager and coaches are just as important.

Scouts as well i have met too many chancers in football already mate.. Need to be able ID players and bring to the table otherwise what's the point. I have met some scouts at high level clubs who been doing it for many years and not one of their suggestions their club has ever signed.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2019 at 17:00, Villan4Life said:

Scouts as well i have met too many chancers in football already mate.. Need to be able ID players and bring to the table otherwise what's the point. I have met some scouts at high level clubs who been doing it for many years and not one of their suggestions their club has ever signed.

It seems to one of the best at bringing players in was Tony Barton.....but I am going back, now.

He could spot second tier players and turn them in to stars, with the help of Roy McLaren.

Nearly every player that came in, in those days, improved.....but i also guess that Rons 110 % workrate mantra played a big part.

it is interesting how all the top teams work their socks off.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

i guess it is difficult to know where to start to cast the net

But even if we went after players that are villa fans or had trials with us....we would catch a few good ones., like Bowen and Lolley.....chances are ,the character would be good too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Anyone know if Juanfran is still with us or if that was just a temporary thing for the January window?

He’s on my LinkedIn as a connection.. he still working with us.

ive been speaking to Brentford’s chief French Scout  Brendan  yesterday on LinkedIn.  the guy that found Neal Maupay and Said Benrehma. He’s asked me to come over to Ligue 2 game with him whenever I’m in Paris. We both have links to Fc Red Star Paris as both done work do them.

He’s  a sound guy. I’ve never  been to French game before so going to be a great learning curve for me.

Got me wondering if we have any scouts in France currently  at all? as not heard of any by name even  though we have signed lot french players in past  unless it was done via an agent close to our club ??

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

ive been speaking to Brentford’s chief French Scout  names Brendan  yesterday on LinkedIn.  the guy that found Neal Maupay and Said Benrehma. He’s asked me to come over to Ligue 2 game with him whenever I’m in Paris. We both have links to Fc Red Star Paris as both done work do them.

He’s  a sound guy. I’ve never  been to French game before so going to be a great leRnibg curve.

Got me wondering if we have any scouts in France at all as not heard of any by name even  though we have signed lot french players in last unless it was done via an agent close to our club ??

Nice!

It really is great to get a bit of real insight into what goes in the world of scouting from you.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Nice!

It really is great to get a bit of real insight into what goes in the world of scouting from you.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks mate i messaged Ben at Barnsley other day see if they had any roles at First Team at the moment and gave him list of players that was signed also close to signing in my  career through various clubs unfortunately for me they have enough scouts currently as they made 4-4-2 magazine on scouting.. i'll post here as very interesting article and something i hope Villa start to do. They found Liam Lindsay that we now linked with  with using this method under Ben being Head Of Recruitment. He's 25 and doing a great job. Had small conversation with him  after as he had read up about my Stroke on Linkedin and wanted to say some positive things to me.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/whats-it-scout-a-league-one-club

Ben Hackney has been a talent-spotter at Barnsley for almost five years, helping the Tykes identify the likes of Alfie Mawson, Kieffer Moore and, well, more. He tells FFT how his team get it done… 

In football, you’ve got to dedicate yourself to get opportunities. It’s so competitive, and there just aren’t many jobs out there compared to other industries.

When I was at college and university, I used to do some player and opposition scouting for local non-league teams. Once I’d built up a portfolio of reports, I sent them to as many of England’s 92 best clubs as I could find email addresses for.

Generally my non-league reports were pretty basic, but you have to start somewhere, don't you? I did a few opposition reports for Ramsbottom, mainly focusing on strengths and weaknesses of opposition, how to exploit them, general patterns of play and key players.

I also did some independent player work to send around to different clubs – I remember being really impressed with a young Denis Suarez, now at Arsenal, playing for Manchester City’s under-23s in a game at Rochdale.

Luckily, I received a few replies and was soon working (voluntarily) for Crystal Palace as a regional scout, alongside some other (voluntary) work for Manchester United’s foundation.

But then I got a break.

Barnsley gave me an internship as a performance analyst and I quickly learned a lot being in a football club day to day, mixing with players and staff during the week and on matchdays. The club took a chance on me full-time when they decided to create a new recruitment department after Lee Johnson was appointed as manager in 2015, and I’ve been there ever since.

I’ve worked under five managers, and there’s always something new to learn; each one brings with them different philosophies and ideas.

Coach's orders

Our current head coach Daniel Stendel has been great to work with since he took over last June. He brings a fresh approach having spent his whole career in Germany, including a year managing Hannover.

He's very clear in his style of play, and that’s absolutely vital for the scouting team when we’re identifying players, so we know exactly what he wants and expects from each position.

Barnsley have a specific playing identity: a front-foot style, focusing on defending from the front and attacking at pace. Last summer, the club made a conscious decision to adopt a counter-pressing style; a philosophy that Daniel embraces.

The scouting team itself has a centralised team of three recruitment analysts who work from the club base. On top of that, we have three regional scouts placed around the UK, and a chief scout who travels the country and reports back for meetings.

An average day would involve focusing on one player from our 'watch list'. We’ll look at him in several games, analysing every action, and submit a report afterwards reviewing his performance, data, plus any additional information that might be useful (such as their contract situation and even personality, more on which later).

Dependent on the day I might also watch our under-23s if they’re at home, check up on our under-18s via video clips, watch first-team training or get out to a midweek game in the evening. This isn’t a job for those inclined to get bored watching football...  

All of the information we gather then gets sent back to base – the management team have full access to the reports we submit daily on players – and we’ll have a weekly meeting to discuss any interesting players that have been highlighted. From there, we can plan our workload for the week ahead. We’re a relatively small department compared to many clubs, but we watch 50-60 games a week in the UK and Europe, both on video and in person.

I'll admit, though: it's hard to just watch a 'normal' game now. You're always looking at them with the emotion taken out, and trying to see it for what it actually is. The World Cup was good because I could enjoy some international football as a supporter, and I try to get away a couple of times a year. I'm still a fan at heart, so if there's football on TV at any level I'll generally watch it, but there are times when it's nice to get away. I always do so for a few days after a transfer window closes – it's a good way to reset mentally, and then you feel like you can really start looking ahead to the next one with a fresh focus.

Tell you what I want

We’re looking for players who we think are capable of playing at or above our level and, importantly, have the attributes to suit our style of play.

The suitability aspect is key. There might be an excellent player who is simply unable to fulfil the positional demands our head coach is looking for, so just wouldn’t be a worthwhile addition for us. For another team, he might be perfect.

In recruitment, it’s vital to plan for every eventuality and have a list of players for each position going into a transfer window. Of course, depending on specific areas the manager is looking to improve on and the contract situation of players in your own squad, there are always priority positions that you’ll spend more time on than others.

We often have meetings where we present players formally to the manager, supplying him with all the supporting information we have and a video showing their strengths and weaknesses. The head coach gives us his thoughts, and may want to follow it up by going and watching the player himself. Unsurprisingly, he always has the final decision on any players we sign.

Success stories

Pleasingly, we’ve had some good success in recent years, with a lot of our players gaining high-profile moves after a stint at Oakwell.

The most notable is probably Alfie Mawson, who moved to the Premier League with Swansea in 2016, and still plays at the top level with Fulham. It’s always great to see players you’ve helped bring to the club succeed, but it really is a team effort as so many people are involved in the success of a player.

Ethan Pinnock, who's been outstanding since we signed him from Forest Green Rovers, is a perfect example of that. He went through the full process of being initially identified through data, and was then watched in four games on video and five times live by different members of our team. I remember making the seven-hour round trip to watch him, only for him to get injured 15 minutes in. That was a long drive home.

I was back out to watch him several times before the end of the season, though, including at Wembley in the National League play-off final. Once you get the player, it’s a relief and job done for us. Then it’s up to our coaching and backroom staff who get to work on the training pitch.

The process

We like to make sure several of our staff have seen the same player, and we use different methods – including live games, video and data analysis – for each one. It’s quite fluid, and something we look at as a team as the process evolves: there’s no one person with a specific role of just identifying talent or just looking at the data.

Data is obviously an important part of the modern recruitment process. It helps you gain insight on players and can be particularly helpful in the initial trawling phase before you start to work through and look at players more in-depth. It can give you information that the eyes of a scout can’t – just like the eyes of a scout can see things the data can’t. It’s important to have a combination of the two.

Each club uses data differently, and no one wants to give much away to keep ahead of rivals.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

ive been speaking to Brentford’s chief French Scout  Brendan  yesterday on LinkedIn.  the guy that found Neal Maupay and Said Benrehma. He’s asked me to come over to Ligue 2 game with him whenever I’m in Paris. We both have links to Fc Red Star Paris as both done work do them.

He’s  a sound guy. I’ve never  been to French game before so going to be a great learning curve for me.

Got me wondering if we have any scouts in France currently  at all? as not heard of any by name even  though we have signed lot french players in past  unless it was done via an agent close to our club ??

The club should be talking to you.....meaningful talk.

people with the club at heart, should be listened to.

but i guess its more about who you know, than what you know.

perseverence seems the best/ only  way forward.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â