Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

I'm looking forward to August, when everybody will care again - no one did today, not the players, not the fans really, it was just another Saturday in the 2015-16 season.

On the selection, I had some sympathy with the selection when I thought it was 4-4-2 - we really struggle to play 4-4-2 because we don't have any wide midfielders, we've got strikers that can play wide, but not really many midfielders that can and if you're going 4-4-2 then it has to be Richardson and Bacuna, you could maybe put Veretout out left at a push, but it doesn't really suit him.

However, we opened with a 4-5-1 with Bacuna at right back and Lyden and Sinclair in midfield - now if you're going to play 4-5-1 you can afford to have one of those midfielders be a lazy but occasionally clever one - i.e. Jack Grealish, or you can afford to be very bold and play a one dimensional but dangerous wide man - i.e. Adama Traore - if you're not going to do that, then I really don't see the point - did we really change the shape of the team to accommodate the maverick genius of Scott Sinclair?

It's like we picked the players for a traditional 4-4-2 and then played differently for the sake of it. As it happens, I don't think we can do 4-4-2; we've spent eight years finding players for a 4-3-3 and we have very limited options when we go with the formation - if you're a big fan of 4-4-2 and you're prepared to accept the limitations of the squad, then good luck to you.

Picking Richardson and Bacuna for a 4-4-2 with Lyden at right back would have been understandable, it would have been rubbish in my opinion, but it would at least have made some sense. A five man midfield with Richardson and Sinclair in it was a bit more confusing.

Not that it really matters, the most important thing about this game is that it's over. 

• Like 2

Usually in a team, if you have one good player and 10 shit players, that player is made to look even better. Unfortunately, we don't have one good player.

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm looking forward to August, when everybody will care again - no one did today, not the players, not the fans really, it was just another Saturday in the 2015-16 season.

On the selection, I had some sympathy with the selection when I thought it was 4-4-2 - we really struggle to play 4-4-2 because we don't have any wide midfielders, we've got strikers that can play wide, but not really many midfielders that can and if you're going 4-4-2 then it has to be Richardson and Bacuna, you could maybe put Veretout out left at a push, but it doesn't really suit him.

However, we opened with a 4-5-1 with Bacuna at right back and Lyden and Sinclair in midfield - now if you're going to play 4-5-1 you can afford to have one of those midfielders be a lazy but occasionally clever one - i.e. Jack Grealish, or you can afford to be very bold and play a one dimensional but dangerous wide man - i.e. Adama Traore - if you're not going to do that, then I really don't see the point - did we really change the shape of the team to accommodate the maverick genius of Scott Sinclair?

It's like we picked the players for a traditional 4-4-2 and then played differently for the sake of it. As it happens, I don't think we can do 4-4-2; we've spent eight years finding players for a 4-3-3 and we have very limited options when we go with the formation - if you're a big fan of 4-4-2 and you're prepared to accept the limitations of the squad, then good luck to you.

Picking Richardson and Bacuna for a 4-4-2 with Lyden at right back would have been understandable, it would have been rubbish in my opinion, but it would at least have made some sense. A five man midfield with Richardson and Sinclair in it was a bit more confusing.

Not that it really matters, the most important thing about this game is that it's over. 

The problem is you can shuffle a bag of turds....and the first thing to come out is.....you've guessed it.

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

My view is that if the team is balanced  and all players buy in to the method that is being proposed by the manager there is less need to change formations.

Despite playing against different systems every week there are successful sides that play there own natural game, particularly when they are strong in every position.

as the old saying goes we play OUR game and let the opposition worry about us.....I have seen Villa teams in that position....naturally this not being one of them.

I accept,It is more difficult today with fitness levels being what they are and squads naturally having to be bigger to accommodate, but Leicester are an example of a settled side, notwithstanding they have been fortunate with avoiding injuries and suspensions.

The unfortunate thing for us, in the place we are, is ....It seems whoever you bring in or take out makes little difference.

Edited by TRO

Leicester are a team with very square pegs in very square holes - it's a simple system with players that naturally play the roles they play in. It's an exact demonstration of why we're unable to play 4-4-2 at the moment - we just don't have the right players in the squad. What we have is Richardson and Bacuna. It's a pity, because it's one of those things that teams do when they're in trouble - go back to a 4-4-2 and keep it simple - we can't do that because we've spent eight years without wide midfielder players in a 4-3-3. It's another of those reasons why we are we are, and you might say another reason why Leicester are where they are.

• Like 1

'Championship minnows Bournemouth prove too strong for plucky Aston Villa...'

In other news, an Englishman won the Masters... :) Didn't see that coming... unlike the dross at Villa Park we endured.

The slow paced remix of 'Going Down M'Lord...' was the highlight for me. And of course, the perennial chuckle-hit 'We're poo, but we still turn up...'

Actually, the highlight was, 'We'll score again, don't know where... don't know when...'

Finally, I hope the Eintracht Frankfurt guys I met under the Lower Holte during the first 7 minute protest got home safely and managed to salvage some fun from an otherwise tirdish afternoon at the Theatre Of Vanilla.