The Panama Papers

maqroll

The biggest leak in history probably deserves it's own thread.

Big wigs are getting named and shamed by the day now, with the new FIFA prez under scrutiny...FIFA needs to be purged of it's entire senior level personal, there was no way this new guy had clean hands.

A legal firm established and run by a CIA Operative "leaks" 11 million documents, none of which implicate anyone that the US or its Banks like, to a journalistic group owned by a group entirely funded by USaid, a group set up to further US interests abroad, to a newspaper set up by the US military as a device to support NATO. 

Financial war is the new cold war.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A legal firm established and run by a CIA Operative "leaks" 11 million documents, none of which implicate anyone that the US or its Banks like, to a journalistic group owned by a group entirely funded by USaid, a group set up to further US interests abroad, to a newspaper set up by the US military as a device to support NATO. 

This seems to me to be the correct take, though of course that doesn't mean that the people named and shamed aren't horrible crooks with plenty to hide, just that this leak is a triumph for the US State Department as big as the Wikileaks cables were a catastrophe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Quite right, and I alluded to this in an earlier post/different thread (I think)...

But yeah, great read on the situation. Always take the cynical side of things, because the truth is even more cynical. 

Even poor old Pro-China anti-democracy Jackie Chan gets done. :)

It's odd, all the guilty are guilty and it's good to see them exposed and hopefully will spark change, but it's like watching a football match where there's been a 22 man brawl and the ref has booked eleven players from one side in the name of clamping down.

• Like 3

I'm just waiting to hear that high level officials from my company are in there. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest 

UEFA offices were raided today as a consequence of this leak. Should be interesting to see what they get. Infantino could be finished mere weeks after he started.

Saw a program about the Swedish involvement in the Panama papers earlier tonight. The most interesting part of it was that the swedish reporters tricked the Icelandic Prime Minister for an interview so that an Icelandic journalist could take over and ask him about his offshore company. Good stuff.

One or two of the top officials in our version of the IRS may have to go but there was not anyone higher up. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm just waiting to hear that high level officials from my company are in there. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest 

Are they already dead or did they jail/attempt to jail any bankers?

If the answer is no, they're safe.

23 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Then we can expect escalation.

Incidentally.

HMRC pays rent on its 600 regional offices from a company called Mapeley Steps Limited, which is registered in the tax haven Bermuda, as the result of a private finance initiative (PFI).

Indy100

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mossack Fonseca to close offices in Jersey, Gibraltar and Isle of Man

The law firm at the heart of the Panama Papers is closing its offices in the British-dependent territories ‘with great regret’

Mossack Fonseca said the closures were part of a strategy to ‘consolidate our service office network’. Photograph: Carlos Jasso / Reuters/Reuters

The law firm at the heart of the Panama Papers revelations has decided to close its offices in the British-dependent territories of Jersey, Isle of Man and Gibraltar.

Mossack Fonseca “will be ceasing operations” in those territories, “but we will continue serving all of our clients”, it said.

Mossack Fonseca: inside the firm that helps the super-rich hide their money

Read more

“This decision has been taken with great regret, as Mossack Fonseca has had a presence in these locations for more than 20 years,” the Panama-based law firm added.

The office closures were part of a strategy to “consolidate our service office network,” it said.

Grauniad

• 1 year later...

A female Maltese blogger who exposed Maltese officials nefarious deeds using shell companies in Panama has been assassinated in a car bombing. 53 years old, with a husband and kids. Really shameful cowardice.

Â