Algarve, Portugal

Stevo985

Plans may have changed again :)

The Algarve is a new contender for Stevo's 2016 holiday :D

Narrowed it down to three hotels in three areas:

Guia
Alvor
and Porches

Anyone visited those areas before? Any opinions on any of them?

Hotel in Guia looks the nicest, but Guia looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, so not sure there would be much to do there!

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Be warned the sea is not great over there in terms of temperature, I found it very cold

Yeah someone else said that. Weird.

Anyway, if the worst thing I can say about a holiday is the sea was a bit cold, I'd have had a bloody good time :)

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I've been to Almancil and it was nice.

Didn't think this was relevant when I posted it but it's only 25 mins from 2 of your suggested places.

• Like 1

I went there when I was 11  , let me know what you think of the place as I can remember next to nothing other than a boat trip and eating BBQ sardines on it

Edited by tonyh29

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We looked at Porto Santo too.

Looked really nice, but in terms of stuff to do outside of a resort, it seemed like there was next to nothing.

Yeah, it's teeny tiny, something like 9 miles by 4 miles? If anything that adds to the appeal to me, being on this little island in the ocean, adds a bit of romance if you like. You're quite right though, there's a beach, a big beach and a really really big beach and um...the ocean.

I seem to be in a similar predicament to yourself judging by your threads in here, neither I nor the girly can make anything close to a decision, we've looked at Portugal, Spain, the Greek islands, Bulgaria, Croatia, Mexico, Carribbean, Canaries...the list goes on, it's a right headache.

• Like 1

Yep, same with us.

Did Mexico last year. Absolutely loved it. If you can afford a decent break somewhere like Playa Del Carmen then that's a solid choice.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, same with us.

Did Mexico last year. Absolutely loved it. If you can afford a decent break somewhere like Playa Del Carmen then that's a solid choice.

Isn't PDC a victim of its own success and a little crowded with hotels and tourists as a result ?

• Like 1

Algarve was really nice but over 10 years ago so can't remember a huge amount other than visiting the marina in Villamoura (whichever area that's in) which had a great selection of restaurants and bars.

Do you play Golf Stevo....:)

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Isn't PDC a victim of its own success and a little crowded with hotels and tourists as a result ?

Absolutely. If you're looking for a proper cultured holiday then it's probably not for you.

But if you're looking for 2 weeks on a beach in a nice resort in Mexico then it's great.

Plus it's close enough to places that aren't crowded with tourists to make plenty of trips to get a taste of culture. I absolutely loved it.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Genuine question.

Why travel all the way to Mexico to do a beach holiday?

What has it got, over say, Spain, Portugal, South France (inb4 no French people Tonyh ;))?

Always wondered.

Cos you've never been to x country before?

On 22/04/2016 at 11:37, hogso said:

Cos you've never been to x country before?

I sort of get that, but Mexico, with it's rich history surely deserves more than just a tick off the list by sitting on one of it's beaches for a couple of weeks?

I dunno, I can easily sit on a beach for a day or two, but I think Mexico would deserve more adventuring than that.  Not that I am saying anyone here would just go to the beach/pool for 14 days of course.

Edited by lapal_fan

A beach holiday doesn't involve literally being on the same beach for 2 weeks.

Well, I suppose it does for some people, but not for me.

Also, what difference does it make that the flight is a few hours longer? 

Edited by Stevo985

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

A beach holiday doesn't involve literally being on the same beach for 2 weeks.

Well, I suppose it does for some people, but not for me.

Also, what difference does it make that the flight is a few hours longer? 

The massive environmental impact?!

I've been to Alvor a couple of times. It's alright but not one of my favourite destinations. Not many beaches, a bit scattered, town's a bit of a building site outside of the old bit. New promenade is nice though.

Â