IT certifications / professional Qualifications

Tayls

Who's got what, what was your experience in obtaining them, any advice for others? 

Im currently studying a degree through the OU in Computing. Also starting my ITIL foundation next month. Work also want me to get my A+ ASAP... 

Lots to work on!! 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did the MCSE about 16 years ago. At the time I was in a similar situation to you, just starting in IT and it was invaluable at the time.

Haven't got anything technical at the moment. ITIL and Prince are all I need these days (and I don't even really need them).

• 9 months later...
22 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

How's it going Tayls? 

Are you doing any Cisco Ccna units as part of your HND? 

Hey man, all good at the moment. I've got my ITIL foundation, starting another module at the end of the month on my degree - this one focuses on networking but isn't a Cisco cert. it allows me to take Microsoft exam 366 which is the MTA, so right at the beginning.

Because of the role I am doing at the moment I need to work towards a SQL certification as well, so trying to figure that out. 

How's things with you?  

Edited by Tayls
Typos

10 hours ago, Tayls said:

Hey man, all good at the moment. I've got my ITIL foundation, starting another module at the end of the money on my degree - this one a focus on networking but isn't a Cisco cert. it allows me to take Microsoft exam 366 which is the MTA, so right at the beginning.

Because of the role I am doing at the moment I need to work towards a SQL certification as well, so trying to figure that out. 

How's things with you?  

Slow, I took took role that was more user support than technical. In an organisation of technophobes that need to use technology all the time I am the only person in the organisation who can manage a sharepoint site, change a toner, do anything on a computer. 

I got us a connection with Cisco (and the OU!) though and I may have the chance to do the CCNA gratis, so considering taking it on. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm painfully ignorant of computer science, mostly due to my age and the fact that computers were non existent in my school until I was 15, and even then, it wasn't required study. Back then when you turned on a desktop, there was a blinking dot. It meant **** all to me, and I thought it was just for nerds and rich kids :D

Thirty years later and I'm a total convert, but just embarrassingly deficient of skill and basic understanding of fundamental concepts of code, programming, etc. But I want to learn, and I want to parlay knowledge into a regular paycheck.

I have a couple of IT friends, and they tell me to take the Cisco Cyber Security certification program. In theory, it could be a great move for me, because I can afford the courses, and it's mostly online. I have no college degree, but i'm told it doesn't matter as long as you know your shit and have the latest certs. It's also the future, and it can give you independence if you want to work for yourself. I like that. I also need to GTFO of the bar business and transition into a secure field. I just wonder how much of a handicap I have not really knowing up from down.

Basically I'm looking into it. Harvard offers a free online intro to Computer Science course, ($100 for an official Harvard stamp of approval), and so far it seems boring, but taught well, so we'll see how this goes...

Any advice is really appreciated.

Edited by maqroll

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Tayls said:

@maqroll

how are you getting on with the learning man? Have you secured a role in the IT field as yet? 

Well, I've just started the CS class, so I'm a ways off. I'm going to take a class through Cisco when I'm done and hopefully try for the CCENT and take it from there. Certs through Cisco are not prohibitively expensive, so I'm pleased with that. We'll see how it goes, I should have a better idea in a few months time.

Â