mightysasquatch

31 minutes ago, dubbs said:

TBF this could be seen be quite dull and repetitive.  Even the campaign has no real story so far, but it just 'works'.

It's basically Doom 1 just a lot faster more akin to the Brutal Doom mod and has no story just like Doom 1. The game does just enough exposition to make you understand why you are there, but that is where it ends. Very good game. 

Blimey, this is absolutely brilliant fun. Literally no messing around, just fantastically well put together chaotic action from the get go. 

Loving it so far.

Edited by Designer1

41 minutes ago, Daweii said:

It's basically Doom 1 just a lot faster more akin to the Brutal Doom mod and has no story just like Doom 1. The game does just enough exposition to make you understand why you are there, but that is where it ends. Very good game. 

Most of the time, that exposition is cut short by Doom Guy himself. id Software put across his "no time for shit" attitude with an abundance of self-awareness; they know that no one is playing this game for story beats.

Its the biggest surprise of the year for me so far and fully deserving of the praise its getting. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This continues to be excellent. I'm convinced at some point id just said '**** it' and shoved in stuff they just thought would be fun whilst breaking the challenge of the game. There's a couple of runes that you can unlock that combined basically turn you into an unstoppable killing machine provided you play the way the game has taught you to play for the entire game to that point.

The rune challenges are decent as well with a couple that are near pad breakingly devious (**** you 'kill everything with the machine gun with 1 health before time runs out' challenge...). And even the story is fun, for what it is. And it plays brilliantly. And it looks great. So far my main criticism is the super shotgun is too powerful.

Where the **** did this come from?! 

• Like 1

This is my favourite game so far this year.

They just absolutely nail the balance between keeping the essence of the first two original Doom games and giving it a contemporary sheen.

Plus, the gunplay is just so satisfying and entertaining that I find myself laughing like a loon whilst wreaking havoc :D

Edited by Designer1

Also contender for soundtrack of the year for me. Music this aggressive isn't usually my thing but its exquisitely produced. Pitch-perfect in complimenting the onscreen action and getting the adrenaline pumping.

12 minutes ago, Sie said:

Also contender for soundtrack of the year for me. Music this aggressive isn't usually my thing but its exquisitely produced. Pitch-perfect in complimenting the onscreen action and getting the adrenaline pumping.

Mick Gordon an Australian based composer did the soundtrack for DOOM. He is also known for doing the soundtrack to the latest Wolfenstein game, Wolfenstein: The New Order as well as Killer Instinct Season 1 and Season 2 for Microsoft. He's a very talented composer and one that is getting more work as his name gets around, he's only been active in the gaming space since 2006 so he's very much a baby of the industry.

And done. Story finished, all collectibles, all challenges, all runes upgraded and weapons mastered.

Absolutely fantastic. Brilliant. Awesome. This is a shoe-in for game of the year talks. Looks incredible, plays brilliantly from the get go, sounds spectacular...

Suffice to say I liked this a fair bit.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

What difficulty did everyone play this on?

I'm on Ultra-Violence and have just hit level 5 I think, I'm mid way through the level and the difficulty has suddenly ramped up and I'm stuck between check points. Not sure whether to drop down a level or just keep trying until I beat it, I think 20 odd attempts was enough for yesterday.

• 3 years later...

Wise from your gwave!

Doom Eternal came out. From the moment it was revealed I wasn't completely onboard with the changes they were making - going for more movement stuff, more platform-y. And also the more I saw of it the less I liked the tweaked art style, which looks, imo, horrible.

Turns out nobody seems to like it much. Massive shame they've somehow taken the formula that was so, so good in 2016, and messed it up by pursuing the wrong things.

Yeah pretty much every review I've seen said it wasn't as good as the 2016 version.  Speaking of which I might look at getting Doom VFR if i can find it for a good price. 

Â