Doping

penguin

Agreed with the above, PED's aren't really going to increase your speed, especially give how footballers train versus sprinters. They will however improve strength and in particular recovery, which is probably the angle you'd take with Leicester - a lot of these players look super fit and highly energetic in the latter stages of the season, despite Raneri not really rotating his core pack throughout the season. 

What makes things interesting is that you have a lot of (on paper) un-spectacularly average players who have never really demonstrated these qualities previously in their careers, in their late 20s and even early 30s, i.e. at ages where you really aren't likely to make dramatic improvements/ gains as an athlete. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Agreed with the above, PED's aren't really going to increase your speed, especially give how footballers train versus sprinters. They will however improve strength and in particular recovery, which is probably the angle you'd take with Leicester - a lot of these players look super fit and highly energetic in the latter stages of the season, despite Raneri not really rotating his core pack throughout the season. 

What makes things interesting is that you have a lot of (on paper) un-spectacularly average players who have never really demonstrated these qualities previously in their careers, in their late 20s and even early 30s, i.e. at ages where you really aren't likely to make dramatic improvements/ gains as an athlete. 

Ranieri hasn't really rotated his pack, however they have played 10-15 games less than most of the other teams around them. They went out of the FA Cup in the third round, and the League Cup in the 4th (after playing kids/reserves all the way through). Also, the 3 most substituted off players in the whole of the Premier League this season are Albrighton, Mahrez and Okazaki, so he is quite good at 'resting' his players during games (if that makes sense!?)  Maybe it is just that other teams are struggling fitness and energy wise due to Europe/long cup runs etc.. making Leicester look quicker? In my opinion this has made them an easy target for the doping/PED rumours, and hopefully I'm not proved wrong......

I'd love to know what drug testing goes on in football, its actually amazing that it isn't common knowledge. Rio got done for missing that test years ago but barely anything since...

On 3.4.2016 at 22:49, Jareth said:

Gabby in 8th position? He must have been doped. :D

Yes it seems very strange. But until it's not concerned I believe in them, and that they aren't doped.

It would be hilarious but sad.

Edited by Denis242

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I'd love to know what drug testing goes on in football, its actually amazing that it isn't common knowledge. Rio got done for missing that test years ago but barely anything since...

In England there are 2 stages to it. Post-match and at training/their home. They take blood and urine samples. Last season they took 2286 samples over the 3500-odd games the FA cover. Which is pretty poor 

I would imagine clubs know when they are coming, so try to get players to stay at home, like Rio

Source: FA

7 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

In England there are 2 stages to it. Post-match and at training/their home. They take blood and urine samples. Last season they took 2286 samples over the 3500-odd games the FA cover. Which is pretty poor

I would imagine clubs know when they are coming, so try to get players to stay at home, like Rio

Source: FA

So they took less than 1 sample per game on average? Wow!

So in any game with combined squads of 34 players you've got about a 2% chance of being selected for testing (and as you say, clubs probably know when the audits are happening so can leave players out for a variety of reasons).

• 2 months later...

Unless it's to do with the Dr. Fuentes case, although he's ostensibly got nothing to do with football.

EDIT : Stevo beat me to it, although that's technically cycling is it not?

2 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

'Nothing to do' may be stretching it a little ;)

'Ostensibly'.  Always be careful with one's qualifiers y'see :P 

3 hours ago, zak said:

I bet a certain Spanish tennis player is shitting bricks too

...and a certain Welsh player living In Spain who looked suspiciously ripped like Nadal not long after moving. Also showing similar hair loss In recent days.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

...and a certain Welsh player living In Spain who looked suspiciously ripped like Nadal not long after moving. Also showing similar hair loss In recent days.

That's probably just testosterone then.

Is testosterone a banned substance? (genuine question, I don't know)

Â