Who do you want as Next Manager Poll

Demitri_C

VillaTalk: Who do You Want as Next Manager Poll?  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as Next Manager?

• Steve Bruce
    • David Moyes
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Sean Dyche
    • Gary Monk
    • Other

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

But we need more than that and it's not really worth it with somebody like Pearson because he's too extreme.

As I keep on saying, just because a manager is all shouty in public doesn't mean they can actually instill discipline in the dressing room.

Yes the danger is he could upset too many people, Moyes would be the better option but as Tro said he might not be the same man he was at Everton.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Yes the danger is he could upset too many people, Moyes would be the better option but as Tro said he might not be the same man he was at Everton.

Thing is, I could easily see Pearson trying to appease the bad eggs.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

But we need more than that and it's not really worth it with somebody like Pearson because he's too extreme.

As I keep on saying, just because a manager is all shouty in public doesn't mean they can actually instill discipline in the dressing room.

Do you really think the players hated him at Leicester, Kasper Schmichel was full of praise of his man management on MOTD 2 a few weeks back, I would imagine the players couldn't care less about Ostrich quotes, probably had a good laugh about it.

But Moyes over Pearson by a long way.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Do you really think the players hated him at Leicester, Kasper Schmichel was full of praise of his man management on MOTD 2 a few weeks back, I would imagine the players couldn't care less about Ostrich quotes, probably had a good laugh about it.

But Moyes over Pearson by a long way.

I never said the players hated him although I expect there were some who didn't like him. My point was that along with being a colossal prick the fact that he's all shouty and arrogant in interviews doesn't necessarily mean he'll actually instill discipline and that's what we really need.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

How will Pearson be the same man he was at Leicester without his coaching staff and scouting team?

Lets face it Pearson at his peak achieved naff all compared to what Moyes did at his time at Everton

• Like 2

I don't like Moyes, he's another dour scottish dick, but he has the most experience and I think would be able to stabilise the club

Pearson is a worthy second choice but still a massive gamble and the rest would be even bigger gambles

• Like 1

I never said the players hated him although I expect there were some who didn't like him. My point was that along with being a colossal prick the fact that he's all shouty and arrogant in interviews doesn't necessarily mean he'll actually instill discipline and that's what we really need.

Shouty....I don't think someone's ever watched a Nigel Pearson interview methinks. :lol: He usually takes an age to answer the questions and responds in a very deepan and boring way.

OMG LISTEN TO THE RAGE, THE PASHUN, THE REPORTER IS FEARING FOR HIS LIFE, PEARSON'S GOING TO RIP HIS HEAD OFF.........errrr dare I say it it's all rather monotone and even maybe just a little bit measured aswell.

• Like 3

A lot of Leicester fans and players vouch for him sorting out the dressing room and getting the team to play. Look past the media hatchet job - the only real concern in appointing him is the issues surrounding his coaching/scouting set-up.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Equally him being arrogant in interviews doesn't mean he won't instill discipline. You have no more evidence that he will fail at discipline than others have that he will succeed.

Equally a guy who is polite and well mannered or whatever else doesn't mean they will/ won't be God at instilling discipline.

In other words nobody can draw conclusions one way or the other from outward stuff like that, seems just as daft a reason to not want him as I've heard.

And that's without getting into whether his interview 'arrogance' is really any different to Ferguson, Murinho, Wenger, Saunders, Pardew, Gregory, MON, LVG, or millions of others.

Just like some seem to have in built groundless prejudices for/against foreign Managers we are hearing similar groundless prejudices for/against British guys.

All we need, folks, is someone who will get us promoted. It's not a beauty contest or a demonstration of our clout, or lack of it.

And Pearson's record isn't much different to Moyes, Dyche, Bruce etc....they've all pluses and minuses and we could do without prejudicing ourselves against ANY of them.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Too extreme how ?

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Too extreme how ?

He seems pretty volatile.

14 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Equally him being arrogant in interviews doesn't mean he won't instill discipline. You have no more evidence that he will fail at discipline than others have that he will succeed.

Equally a guy who is polite and well mannered or whatever else doesn't mean they will/ won't be God at instilling discipline.

In other words nobody can draw conclusions one way or the other from outward stuff like that, seems just as daft a reason to not want him as I've heard.

And that's without getting into whether his interview 'arrogance' is really any different to Ferguson, Murinho, Wenger, Saunders, Pardew, Gregory, MON, LVG, or millions of others.

Just like some seem to have in built groundless prejudices for/against foreign Managers we are hearing similar groundless prejudices for/against British guys.

All we need, folks, is someone who will get us promoted. It's not a beauty contest or a demonstration of our clout, or lack of it.

And Pearson's record isn't much different to Moyes, Dyche, Bruce etc....they've all pluses and minuses and we could do without prejudicing ourselves against ANY of them.

Thing is, I was never trying to argue those things. All I was doing was challenging this assumption that Pearson will instill discipline.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

That was my impression of him but having googled him and read a lot of articles about him it seems he's not like that. His win rates are over 40% He's won promotions He's built a squad which with fine tuning is top of the league. There's a lot more to hit ban the prickly interviews and having a go at reporters. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I literally can't tell you why, but the thought of Neville being manager actually seems ok to me.

It shouldn't, but it does.

Take 2 aspirin and have a good lie down. It will pass soon. :wink:

• Like 1

To be honest I can understand someone not being FOR Pearson as such, but I'm absolutely staggered anyone could be against him.

Regardless of his Assistants, regardless of Ranieri, we are talking about a guy who put together a side in the Championship which could be about to pull off the greatest football achievement since ......when ?

And some fans wouldn't have him ? Not even as their second, third choice ? I sometimes think we deserve what we get.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Neville has been proven that you can be a good manager after you have 2 days to analyse a game. Great pundit but a crap manager.

I think Neville could eventually turn out to be a very good manager. Knowlegable, passionate and incredibly, incredibly hard-working. For his first job to take over midway through the season, a young, fractured, out-of-form team, a crisis club in a country where he does not speak the language, was always going to be a hugely uphill task.

In some ways there are parallels with Garde, in that Neville was not the cause of the problem but could not provide a cure either. When he took over they were already 9th and falling and they currently sit 14th. Not an auspicious start but far too soon to write him off completely

Too big a gamble for us but I expect him to succeed elsewhere in the future

7 hours ago, terrytini said:

To be honest I can understand someone not being FOR Pearson as such, but I'm absolutely staggered anyone could be against him.

Regardless of his Assistants, regardless of Ranieri, we are talking about a guy who put together a side in the Championship which could be about to pull off the greatest football achievement since ......when ?

And some fans wouldn't have him ? Not even as their second, third choice ? I sometimes think we deserve what we get.

A side that he scraped survival with.

A decent achievement, but not better achievement than plenty of managers out there.

I still fail to see what Pearson has done that's so special. Plenty of managers get teams promoted from the Championship. Plenty of managers keep teams in the premier league.

What has Pearson done that makes him so special that people are willing to have a psychopath in charge of the club?

• Like 1