Oscar Borg

Villan4Life

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he's still around, he's a good, solid left back, he's got good delivery on him and awareness, I rate him

Any youth players that you don't think will make the grade, sir Gary?

49 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Any youth players that you don't think will make the grade, sir Gary?

Why do you want to know about players that won't make it? Personally, when a young player leaves here, I always follow them regardless of where they end up, I love following their careers

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

It's reassuring to know I'm one third genius. 

I've always been a bit sweaty ;)

According to Edison, you're already at 98 or 99 per cent...

But you'd still need to have that pesky, but essential 1-2 per cent as well. ;)

Edited by TB

8 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you want to know about players that won't make it? Personally, when a young player leaves here, I always follow them regardless of where they end up, I love following their careers

Well, we hear plenty about how bad some of the first team players are - just wondering if there's any similar gap in quality at youth level. Surely some players stand out and some just don't look as good? Maybe not though :)

11 hours ago, TB said:

I know SGC gets some friendly ribbing in several threads on here for his rather enthusiastic reviews of Villa youth players, but aren't the additional (and rather crucial) success factors beyond talent and skills - commitment, self-belief, adherence to manager's tactics and instructions, avoidance of severe injuries and so forth) - rather hard to spot when a young player is showcasing outstanding skills, physique or intelligence on the pitch?

IIRC the Moore brothers were considered way above Gabby in their teens in terms of ability, but he put a shift in for a few years (no longer, alas), and they sank without a trace. I'm sure there's several other examples to be made over the years. Merely having an acceptable skill-set isn't enough. You also have to push yourself to the limit of your ability. Some swim, some flounder, some sink.

As Kate Sanborn said in the 1890's: "Genius is inspiration, talent and perspiration". (No, not Edison, nor Einstein.)

Ah Luke Moore, he was the one Villian I had said would be massive. Well I said Grealish was the Irish Kaka but hey we will ignore that :( 

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 22:12, TrinityRoadSteps said:

I was going to suggest Oscar Arce. But on digging a bit he never made a first team appearance 

Didn't we once have a back line of Charlie Aitken, Oscar Arce and Barry Hole?

Aitken-Arce-Hole

Edited by Junxs
spelling

24 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Didn't we once have a back line of Charlie Aitken, Oscar Arce and Barry Hole?

Aitken-Arce-Hole

And Jimmy Brown joined some months after Oscar left. Poor timing.

(But apparently the Aitken - Arce - Hole lineup never happened.)

On 4 September 2016 at 10:49, astonaidan said:

Ah Luke Moore, he was the one Villian I had said would be massive. Well I said Grealish was the Irish Kaka but hey we will ignore that :( 

Most of the time he is kaka:)

Edited by TRO

• 2 months later...

He's only 19 and is still developing, he's not got much chance of displacing Amavi in the lineup and it wouldn't be too fair to drop Cissokho of the bench for a bloke with 0 experience. 

I would imagine we won't see him this year at all but I don't think that'll point to him being a write off 

Â