Bulgaria (Sunny Beach?)

Stevo985

Hello chaps and chappettes.

Trying to sort our holiday this year. I like the look of Sunny Beach in Bulgaria. Found a couple of nice hotels (one of which is a Riu we used in Mexico and loved so I fancy that), and it just seems like a pretty cheap but nice holiday.

Anyone been?

My concerns are my sister says the weather is dodgy. She's been, but only once, and it rained for 2 weeks. But a google suggests she was just very unlucky. Anyone know any better?

Also, the gf reckons she's heard that Sunny Beach has become a bit of a lads holiday type venue. The next Tenerife or Majorca kind of thing. Anyone know what it's like or if she's heard wrong? Don't really fancy ending up somewhere that's a real party town.

I've not been but it came up for consideration for our next lads weekend away which might be a clue

it's wikitravel page starts with

It has more than 800 hotels with more than 300,000 beds. The main attractions are the beach and the night life.

Probably the main variety of people visiting are young people (around 20s) attracted by the very well developed night life in the resort

I'm sure there are some quieter areas within it , just a case of finding them

• Like 1

Hmmm, sounds a little concerning.

Will need to do more research I think. We'd be in a resort anyway so we'd be unlikely to have to spend much time enjoying the "nightlife" if we didn't want to.

you just need to do your research on where the bars /nightlife are , years back before the days of the interweb I went to Tenerife for a quick quiet getaway and the hotel was near some bars that played music until the small hours which meant sleep was impossible ..bookings.com reviews usually has this covered and without the tripadvsier bollocks about "1 /10 as there wasn't a starbucks in the hotel"

or maybe consider Dubrovnik or Malta instead ? :)

hard to say as 2 weeks for me would usually involve about 6 countries and a few thousand miles of travelling  as I can't sit still for more than 10 minutes :)  .... but there is enough stuff around you that you could keep yourself amused ....  have a google of Cavtat  , it's a bus ride from Dubrovnik (or you can go there by ferry I think )  .. A boat trip to the Elaphiti Islands    .. add that to  the other places I've mentioned and that should keep you amused on the days when you don't feel like lounging by the pool or beach 

• Like 1

Stevo, my friend got back from there last year and he said it was like you described  a lads weekend sort of place. Probably avoid if its more family you are going with. I think Croatia is more what your after

• Like 1

Cheers chaps. 

I'll do my research and pitch Dubrovnik a bit more. 

The more I look at it the better it looks. Just need to find a suitable place to stay. After last year's, I think the gf is favouring an all inclusive place or at least more of a resort style hotel rather than a holiday where we have to be out and about all day. 

I'm kind of in the same boat but I'm probably a bit more flexible on the idea.

I'll start a Dubrovnik thread to save derailing this one.

Anymore Bulgaria advice, fire away!

Not been but know a few people who have and its basically Malia/Falaraki/Albufeira type place. Lots of stag dos and hen parties and drunk groups of youngsters! 

It is one of the current 18-30 destinations I believe

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Anymore Bulgaria advice, fire away!

Sunny beach in my eyes is a hole. It's very much a lads holiday place full of rich young Turks generally being snobbish and very confrontational. Beer will be 50p but watered down.

If you really want to come the bulgz I'd try the Albena area.

My advice is come to Sofia. I'll suck you off and you can go to Croatia from there.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late seeing this. If it was 2003 again I'd tell to to book sunny beach without hesitation. My friends and I went there three years in a row when we were 19. Back then there were no Brits there at all but I hear that has changed! As for the weather, your sis was very unlucky as we were scorched in June, July and August (we did all three months over the three years)

Â