General Charles Krulak

Sam3773

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'd go as far to say that the most embarrassed I've been as a Villa fan was reading Kurlak's thread. The abuse he took was really shocking and this was even while we were a top 6 club. Definitely the minority, but nobody should have to take abuse like that and then get criticised for "running away" when things went bad. It's almost as if he expected the abuse to get worse...

This a million times over. 

• Like 1

I liked him too. He should never have been put in that position, but he's ex-USMC and served in Vietnam  - he's seen worse shit than most of us can imagine. 

• Like 4

I agree with the posts on this page. Whilst the all important football matters were beyond his control, he certainly had an impact on the 'soft' side of the club. For example, 22 years ago my now wife contacted the club to ask if they would arrange a little something as a wedding present for me who had supported the club as a season ticket holder for years - perhaps a card signed by a few of the players. The clubs' response was very disappointing - pretty much a shrug of the shoulders. In contrast, 9 years ago I messaged Krulak to ask if the club could arrange a little something for the 10th birthday of my son who had been a season ticket holder for a few years. Krulak spoke to Lee Preece who contacted me to arrange it for my family to have an 'access all areas' tour of Villa Park on the match day which was also my son's birthday. We met players, said hello to Doug, went pitch side, had some drinks and got given plenty of goodies. Krulak also made sure my son was looked after on a tour of BMH. He was there for public relations which was terrible in the 80's and 90's and improved dramatically under Lerner. Unfortunately when the football went sour, PR seemed a pointless and bad thing and Krulak got stick which was was way over the top, even given the daft things like the 'typo' mistake.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I liked him too. He should never have been put in that position, but he's ex-USMC and served in Vietnam  - he's seen worse shit than most of us can imagine. 

And some keyboard warriors think they can call the man a coward.

• Like 1

Hated him. The bullshit he spouted about the Mcleish appointment made my piss boil.

Here we had some American, with clearly zero knowledge of football of any level lecturing us on what a great manager we had.

Arrogant tosser.

• Like 1

Didn't he make threats towards some posters offering them to say that to his face etc ?

It was always destined to fail despite the initial idea being novel. 

I have nothing against the man it's just he should not been have been within a million miles of the Aston Villa board.

• Like 1

I wonder if he ever married Nicky Keye. Would be perfect for when anyone calls asking questions;

"General, your water bill is overdue..."

"Let me put you through to Nicky Keye.."

Although he probably did that regardless of marriage...

He was a nice guy with a good heart, I PMed him a few times and he responded.

However what he did (speaking to the fans on Villa sites) was indicative on how much the regime didnt understand football and he was a propaganda merchant of the worst kind.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'd go as far to say that the most embarrassed I've been as a Villa fan was reading Kurlak's thread. The abuse he took was really shocking and this was even while we were a top 6 club. Definitely the minority, but nobody should have to take abuse like that and then get criticised for "running away" when things went bad. It's almost as if he expected the abuse to get worse...

Very much this.

Listen, I don't think the General covered himself in glory, in a number of ways.

But those threads became a total embarrassment. 

• Like 1

The dude was just a mouthpiece with medals to lend Lerner a little muscle, and he probably laughs with his Army buddies about the faggot soccer team he used to run...

That's how a lot of guys like him view things.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Was a mix of good and bad.

I think that he genuinely tried to help people and make them feel good about the Villa and valued as fans but, when it came to the football side of things he just went into Lerner's defence lawyer mode with a blinkered vision. I remember when he said that we would finish top four. I questioned him on it and he replied saying that he meant top five, or something like that, and that it was a typo about finishing top four. I also got the impression, through PM's exchanged, that he too was frustrated with some of the things Lerner was doing but had to try to sell Lerner's actions because they are buddies.

Â