Battlefield 1

AndyC

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Yes!

P1EFACE is my tag. Feel free to add. Could do with a few more squaddies.

Wow, we're a rare breed! I'll add you up ( I'm CUSH7Y btw)

Just give me a week to get my eye in, I'm a little rusty on the BF engine.

• 4 weeks later...

Hauntingly good.

So, "Campaign mode" is made up of "chapters".  With stories of different soldiers, from different areas, probably promoting differing skills.  Maps resemble multiplayer (the meat and bones of BF), in order for you to get up to speed with how the game operates. 

I'm still yet to see a good pre-order from any main retailer.. it's strange.  I've managed to pick up the last 2 BF titles for about £32 with the 1st DLC chucked in free, then I purchase the Premium.  I'm not willing to drop £100 on the game + premium just yet.

But still, the game looks incredible, sounds incredible and from playing the BETA, plays very, very well indeed.

• Like 1

Looks brilliant but I'll probably only play single player if psn is down lol.

Do we know when the 1st dlc is dropping? Money is tight at the mo and I don't really want to be paying for premium right now.

11 hours ago, AndyC said:

Looks brilliant but I'll probably only play single player if psn is down lol.

Do we know when the 1st dlc is dropping? Money is tight at the mo and I don't really want to be paying for premium right now.

They are releasing a free map (singular) in December called Giants Shadow (or something similar).  I think the first actual drop of pay for DLC will be in March.

Always worth giving single player a go.  In BF3/4 you unlocked weapons for multiplayer just by playing them :):thumb: 

It'll be '4k' in the same way that PS3 games were '1080p', as in, a much lower resolution upscaled. The ps4 pro would be getting single figure FPS trying to render at native 4k. The PS4 doesn't even run BF1 at 1080p, it's 900. There's no way the PS4  Pro is playing at 4k.

Edited by Davkaus

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It'll be '4k' in the same way that PS3 games were '1080p', as in, a much lower resolution upscaled. The ps4 pro would be getting single figure FPS trying to render at native 4k. The PS4 doesn't even run BF1 at 1080p, it's 900. There's no way the PS4  Pro is playing at 4k.

Of course it won't be native 4k, I don't think even the latest GPUs can hit 60fps at 4k ;) A 'fake' rendered and upscaled 4k still looks gorgeous though.

On 10/7/2016 at 10:25, Swerbs said:

Of course it won't be native 4k, I don't think even the latest GPUs can hit 60fps at 4k ;) A 'fake' rendered and upscaled 4k still looks gorgeous though.

The latest GPUs can and do hit 4K at 60FPS.. Some games require some settings to be lowered to hit that but the settings used are still higher than the visual fidelity on offer in PS4 and Xbox One games. I play a fair amount of my games on PC at 4K, though there are always some anomalies like ARK which run like crap (my definition of crap anyway) at even 1080p. 

The trial is as follows;

Time limit: 10 hours

Content:

• Five Multiplayer maps (St. Quentin Scar, Amiens, Sinai Desert, Fao Fortress and Suez)
  • Four Multiplayer modes (Conquest, Rush, Operations and Domination)
  • Three Single Player missions (Storm of Steel, Through Mud and Blood)

Your progress will carry over to the main game if you choose to buy it after the trial ends.

If you play the trial between October 13th and October 20th you will get an exclusive dog tag. Those that complete all 10 hours will get a Battlepack to open in the full game. 

I played about 5 hours yesterday and these are my current thoughts.

The Single Player is truly brilliant as they handle the severity of the war with about as much class and respect as an FPS likely could. The opening mission is phenomenal it truly hammers home just how **** up this war was and how most people didn't come out alive. They handled this war with respect and I was expecting far less..

I have two gripes with Single Player though and these are minor. The first is the cutscenes have far too much post-processing to the point where when it goes from cutscene to gameplay it is a tad jarring as the gameplay just looks vastly worse. The second is that after the opening cutscene and prologue mission where it is like "you are not expected to survive", you then play as Edwards a Tank driver who is also a master of stealth, sniping and taking out waves of enemies. Now I understand this is a game still and has to be fun, but they could have alleviated the feeling of action hero by having him paired with at least one other person at all times.

Some things I loved about Single Player will be in the spoiler box below as I don't know how many here are going to play early.

Spoiler

The end of the mission 'Over The Top' was just serene as you get to control and fly as a messenger pigeon over the large scale battles below. It was just magical in a really harsh and foreboding setting. It summed up the campaign for me as stylish brutality. DICE are respecting the source material but tastefully adding style and entertainment to a very dark chapter in Human history.

The whole mission 'Fog of War' was incredible. Yes it does have a fair few action hero moments in it which I did just call a negative, but it is stacked full of atmosphere as you play as Edwards scouting ahead of the Tank. This mission in many games should have been boring, but it just felt fun to play stalking around in the fog taking out enemy soldiers by stealth or just gunning it like a boss.

Onto Multiplayer. Mixed bag this one as on the one hand I had fun but on the other the maps are pretty shit. The best map is 'St. Quentin Scar' which is also the backdrop for much of the campaign missions in the trial. This map is set in the French countryside and features everything fans of Battlefield know and love, it's by far the most balanced map in the game so far.

There are some true duds in this game though. 'Suez' is a desert map that is just too small and too imbalanced for 64 player warfare. It only has three flags in Conquest and the way it is designed the team that gets C and B or A and B first spawn traps the other team, it's not fun. 'Sinai Desert' also known as the Beta map is no cover hell it's a snipers paradise and frustrating as **** to play, it's just not a very nice map. 'Amiens' is a perfect reason why realism is not always the best policy. Amiens as a map is a perfect recreation of a city center in France and as a result it's a maze of alley ways and streets, which seemed cool until you get gunned down by some guy sat in a corner constantly. It's just dull.. 

The only maps in the trial that are decent are 'St. Quentin Scar' as I said above and 'Fao Fortress', but the latter is yet another desert kind of map but it is just a tad bit better than 'Suez' and 'Sinai Desert' so I'll leave it off the shit list. Ultimately though there are only nine maps in the final game and I consider three of them to be truly shit, one of them to be average and the other to be merely good. Looks like it may be yet another game where the Season Pass maps will be the best ones.

Overall I am impressed with Battlefield 1, but I am surprised that it is largely due to the Single Player. I am not sure if I will buy this on launch though as the longevity in games like this is in the Multiplayer and so far the maps just aren't impressing me. 

similar thoughts here, the multiplayer maps just aren't really doing it for me. Had some good matches but they drag on a little long, (one was 41 minutes and the shortest seems to have been about 27) Many of the probems from the beta don't seem to gave been fixed, horses are still pretty much indestructable at times and the preson riding them will insta kill you from 10m away and ranking up classes seems to take forever with no real clear way of knowing if what you are doing (supplying ammo, using mortars as support etc) is actually adding the the rank progress or if it is just a matter of hours spent playing.

the prologue is great but not really sure that controlling a tank in the very first single player mission is the best introduction to the game, especially if you play on hard as there are a few places you can get stuck, not even see the enemt tanks and die very quickly, the 2nd part of the mission gets better though

Â