The Easter Rising 1916 Centenary

mjmooney

On 3/16/2016 at 22:07, tonyh29 said:

Can't help but think Ireland like most of the commonwealth would have been better off staying under British rule though :)

Abit late to the party but why? not trying to start arguments or anything just interested in the source of these thoughts?

9 minutes ago, zak said:

Abit late to the party but why? not trying to start arguments or anything just interested in the source of these thoughts?

Old habits dying hard and all that  .... I was just lightly trolling our Irish members really ..seems they weren't playing :(

I've got an Aussie mate who bites every time cause I still refer to countries by their Colonial names  ..Ceylon, Rhodesia etc :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Old habits dying hard and all that  .... I was just lightly trolling our Irish members really ..seems they weren't playing :(

I've got an Aussie mate who bites every time cause I still refer to countries by their Colonial names  ..Ceylon, Rhodesia etc :)

To be fair although as an Irishman (or plastic paddy if you want, due to being raised in UK) i would love to say Ireland has been better off Independent.

But with a very good comparable in N.Ireland, and also Scotland and Wales, seems like it makes little difference. A more stable economy I guess but "the celtic tiger was great craic"

Few quotes from the big man

“Of Pearse and Connolly I admire the latter the most. Connolly was a realist, Pearse the direct opposite. I would have followed Connolly to hell had such action been necessary. But I honestly doubt I would have followed Pearse…” 

“Give us the future..we’ve had enough of your past..give us back our country to live in—to grow in..to love.”

Winston Churchill on Michael Collins

“He was an Irish patriot, true and fearless… When in future times the Irish Free State is not only prosperous and happy, but an active and annealing force… regard will be paid by widening circles to his life and to his death…"

“Successor to a sinister inheritance, reared among fierce conditions and moving through ferocious times, he supplied those qualities of action and personality without which the foundations of Irish nationhood would not have been re-established.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2016 at 13:45, Zatman said:

fairly good 3 part series narrated by Liam Neeson that was on RTE recently which I thought was quite fair and balanced if people had a look at it, has some fascinating flashback interviews from 1966 to people who were on both sides

Just watching this now. Pretty good. 

• 2 weeks later...

watched some documentaries RTE made about it and shockingly good if can catch online

The Enemy Files - a British view from government files on the Rising hosted by Michael Portillo

Seven Women - a documentary on 7 women who were involved in it from their diaries

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

watched some documentaries RTE made about it and shockingly good if can catch online

The Enemy Files - a British view from government files on the Rising hosted by Michael Portillo

Seven Women - a documentary on 7 women who were involved in it from their diaries

I watched the Portillo one ...it was good to see the "other side"