Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Gents, a filbert in peace and as always I feel your ever worsening torment. I know there is a lot of anti Nigel talk but it seems our clubs are inextricably linked regarding former managers. He knows the championship well, you will need someone of his mould if you get relegated. It will be worth it for the post-match press conferences alone. Tonight just imagine him pinning down your least favourite player on the training ground and throttling them. Joking aside, I think he's probably learnt from mistakes he made with us and would be worth a gamble. All the best gents, remember,  it's always darkest before the dawn. 

Funny you mention the throttling thing because the biggest draw of Pearson would be seeing him beast Gabby. It would almost be a shame he's suspended.

I don't think Pearson's a very nice bloke but he'd probably sort us short term and get us promoted, plus his interviews would make better viewing than another dreary Scotsman.

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Worked for Sir Alex Ferguson.

He found a culture at Man Utd he didn't like. One player at Aberdeen described him as a 'frightening bastard.'

He didn't get rid of that culture sitting people down for a chat or by having the aura of a shoe salesman like Garde. He got it (like Clough) of being completely demanding of nothing but the best.

If they didn't like it, being dropped/sold or the hairdryer treatment was the order of the day. No messing around. He just had something about him that you knew you wouldn't cross him or you were done for.

Of course, our players realise there is no competition for their places so of course it's a team effort - strong manager and a board willing to replace the passengers.

To be fair to Garde - the board made it clear he had to make do with what was there - - music to their ears.

I just don't think you can compare now to then.  If you are very lucky another team takes the gamble on them at a cut price, or you end up doing an N'Zogbia and have to pay them for years for zero work.  I don't get where people think millionaire footballers will just fall into line because someone has a go at them (obviously didn't help Remi) or threatens to physically abuse them (they'll get sacked most likely).

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Remember' its not a popularity parade thats up for grabs its a tough old managers job.

The England hierarchy failed .......by not employing Brian Clough......why because they hadn't got the bottle to handle his abrasive style......We need pearsons abrasive style.

We have pussy footed our way along for far too long.....its time for a tough cookie.

Nigel Pearson would coming on the back of creating or being instrumental in the building of an impressive Leicester team.....not taking anything away from Ranieri, who has equally worked wonders.

Nigel has cut his teeth around the various teams Hull, Southampton etc.

forget the shrinking violet stuff and the gentlemanly approach.....tipping your hat at everone.

Get stuck in Nige....lets get the Andy Grays back and the Des Bremners, the Dean Saunders and the Dennis Mortimers.

i agree a managers job can be tough, but i think you are living in the past with the idea that all we need is a good old fashioned 'abrasive' manager to come in and kick the players up the backside. 

These days teams have big squads full of good players, diets and fitness are all improved, teams are well drilled tactically. You need more than someone on the sidelines shouting 'get stuck in', and bollocking players to try and eek out an extra 10%. 

A manager cant be a pushover, but he doesn't need to be a violent bully. Is it just a coincidence that the top teams don't hire the typical British 'pashun' managers, that hardly any clubs abroad seem to want what we produce? 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, andym said:

i agree a managers job can be tough, but i think you are living in the past with the idea that all we need is a good old fashioned 'abrasive' manager to come in and kick the players up the backside. 

These days teams have big squads full of good players, diets and fitness are all improved, teams are well drilled tactically. You need more than someone on the sidelines shouting 'get stuck in', and bollocking players to try and eek out an extra 10%. 

A manager cant be a pushover, but he doesn't need to be a violent bully. Is it just a coincidence that the top teams don't hire the typical British 'pashun' managers, that hardly any clubs abroad seem to want what we produce? 

i think you make it too simplistic by saying thing of the past.....everything is a thing of the past.....its just trends and they all come back around.

Look, its of course more than just being tough, but don't under play that, we have been push overs......do you think Pep guardiola or Jose are shrinking violets....do you think Ancelloti would put up with the shite our recent 3 have.

I think you again simplify it by saying a bollocking or shouting.....have you ever heard of presence.

A Violent bully, is a description of someone who is consistently involved in abusing people to a point that it is almost an every moment occurance.....where has that little gem come from.....its exaggeration to prove a point of personal dislike.

Martin O'Neill was arguably more of a bully than Pearson and Pardew has had his moments along with SAF...just not got the same coverage.

A manager can't "scare" the players to run more or work harder anymore. Those days are gone. A manager today will have to make the players want to work hard for themselves and for him. He needs to get the players to believe in his ideas and in his trainings. Ranieri has succeeded 100% in this.

Personally i dont see this in Pearson. Its not a nationality thing, Moyes and Rowett have these qualities IMO and I be happy with any of them.

• Like 2

Go and tell the United fans Alex Fergusons management was a thing of the past ....a dinosaur in his thinking.

Get a new modern thinking European manager like LVG

They may tell you you have your head up your a***

11 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

A manager can't "scare" the players to run more or work harder anymore. Those days are gone. A manager today will have to make the players want to work hard for themselves and for him. He needs to get the players to believe in his ideas and in his trainings. Ranieri has succeeded 100% in this.

Personally i dont see this in Pearson. Its not a nationality thing, Moyes and Rowett have these qualities IMO and I be happy with any of them.

But that is contrary what the Leicester players thought of Pearson.

what you suggest is simplistic myth.

What Pearson built was last season......not 1930;)

54 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I just don't think you can compare now to then.  If you are very lucky another team takes the gamble on them at a cut price, or you end up doing an N'Zogbia and have to pay them for years for zero work.  I don't get where people think millionaire footballers will just fall into line because someone has a go at them (obviously didn't help Remi) or threatens to physically abuse them (they'll get sacked most likely).

I think you will find all the successful managers like Guardiola etc are like that.

some get more coverage for it or have a persona that is more readily obvious.

58 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The manager we are looking for (hopefully) wouldn't touch these primma donna's with a ten foot barge pole....so wouldn't have the problem of threatening them.

Remi just had too many fires to put out.....that he never started.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

But that is contrary what the Leicester players thought of Pearson.

what you suggest is simplistic myth.

What Pearson built was last season......not 1930;)

Pearson finished 14th last season with almost the same squad as Ranieri. Okazaki is the big difference but not fourteen position difference. He is outclassing Pearson.

For your other post; Alex Ferguson adapted, I am quite sure he didn't try to manage by fear in his later years cause that surely wouldn't have worked.

2 hours ago, Pilchard said:

John Carver has just told 5Live that he's applied for it.

I can imagine the John Carver, Steve McLaren and Steve Staunton managerial dream team

16 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Pearson finished 14th last season with almost the same squad as Ranieri. Okazaki is the big difference but not fourteen position difference. He is outclassing Pearson.

Okazaki, Kante and Christian Fuchs are a lot better than Nugent, Matty James and Paul Konchesky

14 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

For your other post; Alex Ferguson adapted, I am quite sure he didn't try to manage by fear in his later years cause that surely wouldn't have worked.

Firstly, Pearson presided over building the blooming thing.

secondly, it was progression, He turned the season around and how do you know, that he wouldn't have continued that success....its no more certain that he would't than he would.....he was consistent in his last 9 games and very unlucky in the earlier part of the season.....there were signs it was possible, when they were struggling.

Alex Fergusons formative years set the scene.....He didn't have to keep proving himself as a disciplinarian he just give a look or a stare in his later life.

Ryan Giggs has given plenty of documentary of the presence of the man.....Ron Saunders didn't shout it was his steely responses that set the scene.

I think you are unappreciative of the point or see it as an old fashioned condition.

If thats the case, I think you are wrong, but accept thats probably the modern thinking.

Discipline is not  something that is driven by an era or is subject to trend patterns....its central to a collective effort and a winning formula in just about every walk of competitive life.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are unappreciative of the point or see it as an old fashioned condition.

If thats the case, I think you are wrong, but accept thats probably the modern thinking.

Discipline is not  something that is driven by an era or is subject to trend patterns....its central to a collective effort and a winning formula in just about every walk of competitive life.

Different views and opinions. Discipline is very different from management by fear; a lot of people on here have described that if we just have management by fear ala Pearson the players will start to run. I absolutely don't believe that would be the case. Fergusons early years didn't set the scene because the players changed; he didn't treat Brian McClair and Christiano Ronaldo in the same way. He learned and updated to a new mindset of players. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

i think you make it too simplistic by saying thing of the past.....everything is a thing of the past.....its just trends and they all come back around.

Look, its of course more than just being tough, but don't under play that, we have been push overs......do you think Pep guardiola or Jose are shrinking violets....do you think Ancelloti would put up with the shite our recent 3 have.

I think you again simplify it by saying a bollocking or shouting.....have you ever heard of presence.

A Violent bully, is a description of someone who is consistently involved in abusing people to a point that it is almost an every moment occurance.....where has that little gem come from.....its exaggeration to prove a point of personal dislike.

Martin O'Neill was arguably more of a bully than Pearson and Pardew has had his moments along with SAF...just not got the same coverage.

I don't think managers like guardiola, ancelloti etc are shrinking violets, i expect they demand the top performance out of players, they quite clearly have presence and i am not going to disagree with you that that is something we need.

But i don't think they are necessarily abrasive and that was what i was disagreeing with -  your post read to me that basically all we need is a manager to get stuck in to the players, give them a kick up the backside etc, which i think is far too simplistic.

As regards Pearson as violent, hes held down and choked an opposition player on the touchline during the game, told a fan to **** off and die, and repeatedly been abusive to reporters in press conferences. You are right i have a personal dislike, but i think its pretty well founded.

The 3 front runners seem to be Moyes Pearson and Dyche. All 3 are tough hardline managers who expect the best so it's clear the board know there's an issue. I'd be happy with any of them. 

I think its hilarious that Leicester signings were made by scout and transfer committee and not Pearson but when same thing is said about Sherwood he had full power over signings

• Like 2