Jump to content

Next Manager/ Season


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I honestly believe that under the current set-up even Mourinho would fail here after a few months.

He certainly would - he's just an overhyped chequebook man.  Imagine him trying to deal with Villa :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends on what happens behind the scenes between now & the end of the season.

Someone, Hollis, King or Bernstein will have to set out a plan and make decisions.

However, this is more than likely dictated by player movement.

Some players will  move/look to move, some will be forced to hang around because nobody wants them. Some could just be paid off.

Depending on who is still here will mean manager type x, y or z.

If you make a scale of 

1 = Everybody stays (except out of contracters) we will need an iron fist hard knob like Pearson, a no nonsense Sam, or a Sean Dyce.

at the other end of the scale

10 = sell/sack all the bad eggs and start a new, loanees back, plus youthplayers and a few signings, then Remi could stay or Simon Grayson, Rowett or an unblemished up and coming manager like Hasselbaink could give us a good chance of not going further down the leagues so that we could "bottom out - rebuild"

Basically we are a little bit snookered and need to wait till the board can define which set of cards they can deal to the manager, if Remi fits the bill and he wants to stay, then so be it. Otherwise the search should be after a manger who can build on what he's presented with.

Somehow, this all feels like an chance to make a new start, change the direction of the club, because we clearly couldn't manage it in the PL. Maybe we can manage a change in a lower league by virtue.

Staying in the PL was a bridge too far for us as we were.

As the Championship is a level down, it wont mean its easier. It's different trying to finish 17th or above in PL than finishing 1st/2nd/3-6 playoff winners in the championship.

With players leaving/staying/loanees coming back and new/loan signings there is no garantee that we wont be battling to survive another drop.

I hope the changes bear fruit. With RL as owner we can only hope for small positive steps and an eventual sale.

The sooner everything takes efffect, the better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I agree Grasshopper with you summary I dont think we as a club can wait for the playing staff to be sorted. Ideally we need who ever is to manage us next season to be either in place or ready to be appointed as soon as we can after the season ends. The only advantage to us being this shit is we can start preparation and planning before anyone else

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Rowett for me. We can't attract many of those mentioned. Bruce, Dyche and Moyes wouldn't go near us with Lerner as owner.

In that case..... why will Rowett come here?

I believe a lot of us are hoping/praying this new boardroom set up will actually make a positive difference. As a supporter - I want them to act promptly once our fate is confirmed, attract a decent manager who is proven at that level (or higher) and back him to deliver promotion. The remit next season has to be all about achieving promotion (top 6) in one year, I want us to be ambitious and competitive - I think everybody will agree that us fans deserve to have a bit of success and hope given the last few years. 

Besides, we deserve to be a Premier League club given our history, pedigree, fan base and mostly importantly our potential. I hope the board and Randy share this view, no...they should operate by those standards.

My biggest fear is that Garde will walk out in pre-season due to a lack of funding, and we will be left with no manager, more cuts/selling assets, a thin bare squad supplemented (largely) by youngsters. 

We need to be on the front foot next season, no more hiding.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

Rowett is working at worse circumstances at SHA. Lerners Villa is still better run then what SHA is. He will have some funds here if we can offload some players. I have read on here that he is a Villa fan. Don't know if that is true. So he will come if we ask him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think we can realistically afford to sack Garde and his backroom team? It'd be millions and millions down the shitter that could be better spent replacing the real culprits of our plight.

I definitely want to see him get a chance to try and build something here, there's a reason Lyon fans called him Rémi Garde-iola. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrSmirch said:

Do you think we can realistically afford to sack Garde and his backroom team? It'd be millions and millions down the shitter that could be better spent replacing the real culprits of our plight.

I definitely want to see him get a chance to try and build something here, there's a reason Lyon fans called him Rémi Garde-iola. 

I believe that Benitez has a clause that means if Newcastle get relegated, they can just part ways.  Hopefully we've taken similar precautions, although in an ideal world I'd rather Garde stayed and given more support from the new directors than Randy and Fox gave him.  Either way there is a lot of stuff to sort out even before next season's manager is thought about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take any of Dyche, Bruce, Pearson or Rowett over Garde at present.

Most have experience (certainly the first 3 i think) of getting promoted from the Championship, and for me, that is key.

Allardyce would be my number 1 choice though

 

p.s Look what we've become! :(

Edited by Xela
Link to post
Share on other sites

However much I don't like the guy, Pearson will be the man to take over if Garde goes for me. We won't have the wasters who will turn on him, an he obviously has if anything, motivational skills, which we will be desperate for.

Thinking about it though, I don't think the board would employ him, as he would take no shit from anyone, including the directors.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely Karanka if he leaves Boro? Plays the hard pressing game that we, as fans love to see, had Boro challenging for promotion 2 years running and there's some decent players there I'd fancy us to poach off them if they don't come up this season

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Whilst I agree Grasshopper with you summary I dont think we as a club can wait for the playing staff to be sorted. Ideally we need who ever is to manage us next season to be either in place or ready to be appointed as soon as we can after the season ends. The only advantage to us being this shit is we can start preparation and planning before anyone else

Thanks

Bold - is our problem though

If we can't shift Gaby, Richards & Lescott out of the club there is no point keeping RG or appointing Rowett, Grayson, Hasselbaink or any other manager that isn't a Hard-Hand.

Gaby will be hell bent on staying, if Lescott's move to USA doesn't happen, who will take him? Richards wasn't sought after pre-season, so why now?

The likes of Guzan, Bacuna, Westwood & Sinclair added to that list, then you have SEVEN (7) auld guard to get rid of.

That's a task in itself - or a hefty payoff sum.

Like I said at the end of my piece, the sooner changes take an effect and we know who we have/dont have, we can target/keep a suitable manager for the players/task at hand.

The advantage of keeping RG lies in the fact that he knows who he can work with and who not. If the board can deliver, why waste compensation on sacking him? Give him a fair hand and see what he makes of it.

The harsh reality is this.

RL needs to invest heavily or sell at a heavy loss.

Whoever owns us needs to sort out the boardroom and put a team & plan in place. (Hollis, King & Bernstein maybe a good start, we'll soon see)

The current playing staff really need sorting out ASAP

When we know where/how we CAN go at it, we can keep/appoint a manager who has a chance of getting us there.

Other than that

Villa till I die

And I'm hurting really bad atm

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Steve **** Bruce? No thanks.

Football really is fickle and a funny old game. After Fulham & QPR no-one would want Mark Hughes near Villa but he's managed to turn Stoke into a very tidy outfit. At the start of this season Ranieri was laughed at as a PL manager - recently there were suggestions he could go back to Chelsea. Nothing can seemingly guarantee success - just look at what happened to 'proven winner' Mourinho this season.

The only way to success is to try and set the club in all areas to win and support the manager and coaching staff. This is something that sadly Aston Villa has failed to do for many, many seasons.

Who knows if Steve Bruce has matured and his time for success is about to come? Who can say that about any of the potential managers mentioned in this thread for Aston Villa. Sadly based on what we have seen over the last few years no-one in the managers seat at AVFC can influence the 1st team to the degree the fans want. This is simply because they do not have the support from other areas of the club.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Football really is fickle and a funny old game. After Fulham & QPR no-one would want Mark Hughes near Villa but he's managed to turn Stoke into a very tidy outfit. At the start of this season Ranieri was laughed at as a PL manager - recently there were suggestions he could go back to Chelsea. Nothing can seemingly guarantee success - just look at what happened to 'proven winner' Mourinho this season.

The only way to success is to try and set the club in all areas to win and support the manager and coaching staff. This is something that sadly Aston Villa has failed to do for many, many seasons.

Who knows if Steve Bruce has matured and his time for success is about to come? Who can say that about any of the potential managers mentioned in this thread for Aston Villa. Sadly based on what we have seen over the last few years no-one in the managers seat at AVFC can influence the 1st team to the degree the fans want. This is simply because they do not have the support from other areas of the club.

Hughes and Ranieri are irrelevant in this really. I don't rate Bruce and if things stay the same at the top we're **** either way so I just don't see the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â