Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

What about that fella from Norwich a few years back....

Mike Walker, interesting choice. I like it as nobody would be expecting that :detect:

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Paul clement or Karanka for me if Garde goes 

Karanka couldnt deal with Downing at Boro, can imagine the tantrums he will throw with Gabby, Richards and Lescott on board

Assuming Gabby, Richards & Lescott will be on-board.  But I don't think Karanka would be a bad shout.  Obviously depending on the nature of the bust-up at the Riverside.  Was it something in particular or is he a headcase.  I don't know.

EDIT : By the way, I'm not necessarily advocating getting rid of Garde.  I'm actually more assuming that he'll walk away from this shitshow.

• Like 3

My number 1 choice is for RG to stay. Let RG build his own team and then judge him. By then who knows what managers will be available.

Pearson: I don't understand the clamour for him. He struggled with a newly relegated Hull team.

Moyes: He'd NEVER join Villa in this position. We are a sinking ship. Should the board recruit terribly (again) or worse keep the current muppets we will be fighting another relegation battle next season. This will destroy his managerial stock! He'll sit there safely until a safe mid table PL team need a manager.

• Like 2

First of I can't imagine Garde wanting to stay here after how he's been shafted by the board. I have no problem with him leaving because even thou he's had nothing to work with I haven't seen any real signs of progress or clear lines in how he want's us to play. I mostly blame the players for this, but still...

That forces us to search for a new manager in a market where I would assume most managers consider us as a leper club.

That means we'll have to pay top dollars to attract someone of even remote quality. Thankfully this is something the club under Lerner has had no problem doing (although the money have been wasted on talentless hacks). McLeish was when appointed among the 20 highest paid managers in the world :blink:, Lambert was at one point just outside the top-30 :wacko: if you believe the figures at the time.

As for who this new coach is, well I know this isn't fair but I really don't wan't the classic British type manager who stands around in a tracksuit yelling for 90 minutes playing a rigid 4-4-2. Massive generalization, yes I know.

What I wan't is a tactician, someone who has a very clear idea of how he want's us to play, but who is also pragmatic enough to be able to change this depending on the situation and opponents.

It seems like a lot of former players go the Championship route in management and if we can find the right one of those it'd be great (obviously not someone completely new to management) 

Looking at totally unlikely candidates my #1 target would be Murat Yakin who I think is still out of a job since leaving Moscow, total pipe dream thou.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Karanka couldnt deal with Downing at Boro, can imagine the tantrums he will throw with Gabby, Richards and Lescott on board

Isn't the issue that Downing was forced upon him and has the chairmans ear and been going behind the managers back?

Hopefully all of those players will be gone. Karanka has experience of the league, plus has (partly)learnt his trade from one of the greatest modern day managers. Same case with Clement. I believe we are on the right path in terms of infrastructure being put in place. I personally believe we need a dynamic up & coming manager in the mould of Karanka, Rowett & Clement or Garde.

To tear it up and start again  with a manager of polar opposites like we have done previously with Mcleish would be a grave mistake imho. 

Edited by thabucks

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Isn't the issue that Downing was forced upon him and has the chairmans ear and been going behind the managers back?

Hopefully all of those players will be gone. Karanka has experience of the league, plus has (partly)learnt his trade from one of the greatest modern day managers. Same case with Clement. I believe we are on the right path in terms of infrastructure being put in place. I personally believe we need a dynamic up & coming manager in the mould of Karanka, Rowett & Clement or Garde.

To tear it up and start again like we have done previously would be a grave mistake imho. 

they paid big money for Rhodes and Downing yet he didnt want to play them so can see why board be pissed, at business end of a season and your manager throwing a tantrum is not the guy I want on board as he has poor mentality

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

they paid big money for Rhodes and Downing yet he didnt want to play them so can see why board be pissed, at business end of a season and your manager throwing a tantrum is not the guy I want on board as he has poor mentality

Can see your point but then isn't the issue players being forced upon the manager and undermining his authority. 

Just now, thabucks said:

Can see your point but then isn't the issue players being forced upon the manager and undermining his authority. 

but Downing was signed in August and Rhodes about 10 games ago, he really should have made his point back then

Just now, thabucks said:

This is why I think it's important that we know the nature of the disagreement rather than throwing him to the twitterati prematurely.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Assuming Gabby, Richards & Lescott will be on-board.  But I don't think Karanka would be a bad shout.  Obviously depending on the nature of the bust-up at the Riverside.  Was it something in particular or is he a headcase.  I don't know.

EDIT : By the way, I'm not necessarily advocating getting rid of Garde.  I'm actually more assuming that he'll walk away from this shitshow.

He stormed out of training after some sort of argument where he was very critical of some players in the morning, and then refused to respond to phone calls from the club all evening to check he'd still be returning in the morning. Major hissy fit.

A new manager wont make any difference. We've seen it before. Unless they really are changing things behind the scenes and redefining the whole set up at the club. I just don't see it at all.