Jump to content

Next Manager/ Season


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Not singling you out at all here TRO, but a few people have wondered this. However, I don't see what Moyes would have discovered when meeting with Dr. T that Hollis would not have found in weeks of investigations?

I've said it many times but, whilst I don't necessarily trust Hollis to run a football club, I do trust him to do his homework in the sale process. This is Hollis' forte, plus he'll know the Chinese market from working in this region. People that tend to rise to the top in the professional auditing world tend to be sticklers for detail.

He knows the region and is a very qualified man. However, unfortunately Chinese businesses operate in a completely different way to those within Europe and the West. It is not nearly beyond the realms of possibility that if they wanted to hide something, or make it as though something is there which isn't they could do exactly that. 

I was only talking to somebody this evening who has been dealing with KPMG themselves in the last few years, and they have been wrong several times. Millions of £ wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Yep this for me. They were awful for a good part of the season then pulled a Sunderland and found some form! I don't think Leicester would have won the league with Pearson this season.

This is an irrelevant point for me though.  Under Pearson would they have progressed again this season which i think is a more relevant question. I'm of the opinion they would've, which is why I'm not fully against him becoming manager.  It shows he can build a team year on year  

The unsavoury part of his character means that I can't bring myself to unconditionally support him though.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mantis said:

So everyone keeps on saying but I'm not convinced that he had much of a role in them winning the title. By the way, from what I saw of them that season they were pretty awful before that run at the end. I think people are letting that run and the title win cloud their memory of how Leicester performed in the first two thirds of the season.

I would challenge your view mantis- I remember watching Leicester when they were struggling last season  and can recall wondering why they were at the bottom of the league. They were polar opposites to us in so much as they never gave up fighting for each other and were very unlucky in many of their games. As for their end of season run, it replicated title winning form- form they just carried over into this season! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, decamoto said:

This is an irrelevant point for me though.  Under Pearson would they have progressed again this season which i think is a more relevant question. I'm of the opinion they would've, which is why I'm not fully against him becoming manager.  It shows he can build a team year on year  

The unsavoury part of his character means that I can't bring myself to unconditionally support him though.  

Could not agree more- I've already said that I wouldn't cross the road to shake the guys hand and certainly would have no desire to share a beer with him- just can't help believing that he has the professional attributes that we need right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I would challenge your view mantis- I remember watching Leicester when they were struggling last season  and can recall wondering why they were at the bottom of the league. They were polar opposites to us in so much as they never gave up fighting for each other and were very unlucky in many of their games. As for their end of season run, it replicated title winning form- form they just carried over into this season! 

I watched them a bit too and every time I saw them they were poor. Just because they showed fight doesn't mean they weren't poor.

Yes and they showed bottom of the table form for a lot of the season. The fact that they carried that form over this season is mostly irrelevant with regards to Pearson because he wasn't their manager this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
27 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

He knows the region and is a very qualified man. However, unfortunately Chinese businesses operate in a completely different way to those within Europe and the West. It is not nearly beyond the realms of possibility that if they wanted to hide something, or make it as though something is there which isn't they could do exactly that. 

I was only talking to somebody this evening who has been dealing with KPMG themselves in the last few years, and they have been wrong several times. Millions of £ wrong. 

Sure, as have Deloitte, PwC, EY and countless others. Thing is, this time Hollis is a very well-versed client that has a firm like KPMG (don't know who), doing all the donkey work alongside his expertise. It's one area that a staff member at the club is properly qualified as an expert in their field.

Plus, as I've said, Mervyn King seemed to hint that this would be a very positive takeover.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm optimistic that things have got better for us. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So Mantis, its clear you don't want to give him any credit for the title win this year (despite 80% of the players having been signed by him), but what about getting promotion with 6 games to spare? surely thats worth giving him a shot over the likes of Moyes and RDM?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pearson is an average manager with some success, some failure and huge personality flaws.

I think everyone is hung up on the idea of him strangling Gabby, Lescott, Richards etc at the first training session which admittedly is attractive but I'm sure the novelty will wear off once we're mid table and Pearson has gone bonkers from the pressure at some journalist/player/fan again, or his son has racially abused a Chinese hooker on a pre-season trip to Shanghai...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing about Moyes, I've seen many people refer to him as a high profile manager, but many seem to have forgotten how the football world was shocked at his manure appointment.

It was a job he didn't deserve in the first place and predictably failed miserably. He failed in his job after that too at Sociedad. I'm for one am delighted that he's turned us down.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter

 

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Has di matteo turned down lazio?  Wondering why he is away in to 1/3 tonight.

All the Italian news is from 2 days ago, and a lot of the stuff after the initial calciomercato rumblings (calciomercato is dubious - somewhat of an agents press release vehicle) says the news comes from reports in England which came after the calciomercato article I think. So I'm not entirely convinced about that story anymore. 

RDM is suddenly very short, 1.6 on betfair and was out at 3s. Pearson has drifted but everyone is on about Pearson still. Wondering why RDM is so short myself...  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

"As reported here at 7500 to HolteRoberto Di Matteo is the current bookies' favourite to take over the AVFC managerial hotseat, and is also believed to be the potential new Chinese ownership group’s ideal choice too, with the Birmingham Mail reporting he’s had discussions with the consortium.The question on many fellow Villans' lips is therefore a simple one - is he the right man for the job?"

http://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2016/5/17/11689120/matteo-is-murder

Might have been posted here before, but here's a good little article from 7500 to Holte looking at RDM as managerial candidate. 

Doesn't actually put too much between him and Pearson, have to say I'd go with Nigel based on the article. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So far as I can tell Pearsons main plus is that he won the championship and he wont take any shit. McLeish won the FA cup but it didnt mean he was right for Villa. I might be wrong but Pearson just feels similar, not right. Maybe he can prove me wrong if we do get him in but I don't think I'll ever like him, bit of a thug and I like to think Villa are better than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

All the Italian news is from 2 days ago, and a lot of the stuff after the initial calciomercato rumblings (calciomercato is dubious - somewhat of an agents press release vehicle) says the news comes from reports in England which came after the calciomercato article I think. So I'm not entirely convinced about that story anymore. 

RDM is suddenly very short, 1.6 on betfair and was out at 3s. Pearson has drifted but everyone is on about Pearson still. Wondering why RDM is so short myself...  

Could it be that he is thought to be the new owner's choice and they are guessing he is still in the running for our job as he has not been given the Lazio job as yet? I also cannot see why Pearson's price has drifted in what now seems to be a two horse race unless they are thinking RDM will be next to be offered the job rather than him.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

So far as I can tell Pearsons main plus is that he won the championship and he wont take any shit. McLeish won the FA cup but it didnt mean he was right for Villa. I might be wrong but Pearson just feels similar, not right. Maybe he can prove me wrong if we do get him in but I don't think I'll ever like him, bit of a thug and I like to think Villa are better than that.

Small Heath have never and will never win the FA Cup so I guess McLeish won it in his dreams as did the knuckle-draggers.;)  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
5 minutes ago, John said:

Small Heath have never and will never win the FA Cup so I guess McLeish won it in his dreams as did the knuckle-draggers.;)  

The only thing the inbreds will win again is the fu-ckup

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â