Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I'm not totally against it to be honest. I remember his West Brom "trying" to play football the right way which is a positive for sure.  But I think we would be pretty stupid to miss out on Pearson when he's available. I'm getting a similar vibe to when we missed out on Fat Sam when we should have sacked Sherwood and hired him. 

Edited by PieFacE

3 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I like RDM as a bloke but I think he'd be completely wrong for AVFC in it's current state. As someone intimated earlier, he's another Garde or Sherwood type appointment. A big no from me sadly.

Not really. Garde had no experience in the league. Sherwood was a decent appointment. I had no issue with us hiring him when we did. He saved us from relegation last season, but got exposed this season. We needed an Allardyce type after Sherwood. Di Matteo has managed clubs in england, and has years of experience in the championship and premier league. Seems like the perfect appointment if you ask me. 

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

Not really. Garde had no experience in the league. Sherwood was a decent appointment. I had no issue with us hiring him when we did. He saved us from relegation last season, but got exposed this season. We needed an Allardyce type after Sherwood. Di Matteo has managed clubs in england, and has years of experience in the championship and premier league. Seems like the perfect appointment if you ask me. 

My main issue is that he's never rebuilt a squad. I think we need someone tried and tested at steadying the ship and while I think Pearson is a bit of a rocket polisher I think he could fix Villa.

RDM on the other hand... Do you think he could handle the big time charlies in the squad? How would he cope with Gabby, Lescott et al? I think he'd drown.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He hasn't got years of experience though! 1 full season at Mk Dons 1 full season at WBA. All the others he's sacked or left before a full season completed. 

• Like 4

**** Di Matteo?

Please no.

I thought, according to President Hollis, that the new manager would be "intrinsically linked" to the new owners? If this Di Matteo link is true that was either bullshit or the new owners are **** clowns. Fingers crossed for scenario a! Or scenario "nope".

• Like 1

RDM - decent record, and like ALL the others, some parts not so good.  Deserves to be on any list of candidates, and like all of them, could be good, or a disaster.  Really there is nowt between the lot of them.  And why should there be ?  Of course the list is 'uninspiring' etc, it isn't a beauty parade and incredible, exciting new managers are not suddenly going to appear out the woodwork. They are all capable of doing a good job, and all capable of messing up.

When we appointed GT, or Ron Saunders, there was, likewise, evidence that they could be good, or rubbish. An awful lot is just down to the right fit.  And that is impossible to predict (despite those who claim to know who would and would not fit).

One thing that seems evident to me is that since the departure of King Bernstein we haven't appointed anyone else.  Therefore the appointment of the new Manager is either being left to Brian Little (which I don't believe) OR whoever is buying.  It will be them that decide who fits what they want, and whoever they pick will have met them and likewise be happy that he fits with them.

Whilst that still does not guarantee anything, it does mean that fans current ideas of who and why are of little relevance !

Its my guess that each potential owner (and I am surer than ever they exist) has already a candidate who fits and who fits them. Debate as to the merits of each are now past their time - if ever they had a time ! - (not that I would dream of suggesting we stop doing it !).

FWIW my money was on it being Moyes, already selected, but this sudden RDM thing could be an indication.

I don't think Allardyce, Pearson, McCarthy, Hughton, Dyche, etc are in the running as I somehow think a multimillion pound new owner is going to invest quickly and will want more of a 'name'. Not saying that is necessarily the right thing but its likely.

18 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

My main issue is that he's never rebuilt a squad. I think we need someone tried and tested at steadying the ship and while I think Pearson is a bit of a rocket polisher I think he could fix Villa.

RDM on the other hand... Do you think he could handle the big time charlies in the squad? How would he cope with Gabby, Lescott et al? I think he'd drown.

FWIW I think those guys will be paid off by whoever comes in - whoever the Manager is will have been watching closely and will know exactly what we know. Nobody would be daft enough to leave that cancer in a new Club.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NeilS said:

It is hard to judge how good an appointment RDM would/could be, as he has not held a position at any club for a decent amount of time. My gut feeling is that he wouldn't be a good choice. I don't think you can compare him with Ranieri in any way, shape or form. Two vastly different managerial records and experiences in my opinion.

I'm not if honest. I'm just saying that my judgement on every recent Villa manager has been way off, so I'm not pre-judging anyone as it would seem that I, and most others on here, know absolutely **** all about what's good for Aston Villa.

:D 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

RDM has only completed a season twice! His longest in a job was Albion. Is he what we need? We need a manager who experienced at building football clubs as we are a shambles. He won the Champions League with AVB's team which just need helping along we need a complete rebuild. I don't think he is right for us or that good a manager. 

Pearson it is then. Rebuilt a fallen team, got them promoted and Ranieri won the league with the backroom staff, the squad he built and the close season form they found.

;)

3 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Pearson it is then. Rebuilt a fallen team, got them promoted and Ranieri won the league with the backroom staff, the squad he built and the close season form they found.

5 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

;)

I just want them in ASAP as there's a lot of work to be done 

37 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

**** Di Matteo?

Please no.

I thought, according to President Hollis, that the new manager would be "intrinsically linked" to the new owners? If this Di Matteo link is true that was either bullshit or the new owners are **** clowns. Fingers crossed for scenario a! Or scenario "nope".

Maybe abramovich has got bored with Chelsea?

55 minutes ago, terrytini said:

FWIW I think those guys will be paid off by whoever comes in - whoever the Manager is will have been watching closely and will know exactly what we know. Nobody would be daft enough to leave that cancer in a new Club.

Well i hope your're right.  If they were to do that I think they would, in one fell swoop, get every fan on side wherever they are from.

Edited by Gary Thomas

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

**** Di Matteo?

Please no.

Did Matteo's last gig was at Shalke, and he did quite well. I like him, toss up between him and Pearson at the moment for me, based on who we've been linked with.

I'd be happy with RDM

He's not Pearson which is a major plus point

This.

If the choice was between Moyes, Hughton, Bruce or RDM, then he'd be my last choice. But considering that Pearson was the previous favourite, that makes me instantly prefer RDM and consider his positives.