Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

3 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

....and oversaw Albion's promotion from the Championship in his first season at the club

.....but he's not good enough for Villa ?  Here we go again.....

West Brom did sack him though when they slipped into the relegation zone again....

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

West Brom did sack him though when they slipped into the relegation zone again....

At least he got them to the premier league. That should be our first goal. We shouldn't be worrying about relegation from the premier league again when we aren't even in the championship yet. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

....and oversaw Albion's promotion from the Championship in his first season at the club

.....but he's not good enough for Villa ?  Here we go again.....

Don't think WBA were in quite that state we were in - and how many years ago was that

Just a bit of an uninspiring appointment for me. 

I'd forgotten about Di Matteo. Not that it's a priority for me at all, but I've always liked him (when I remember him). 

Promotion with baggies, nearly promoted with MK Dons. FA cup and Champions League with Chelsea. Additionally, as they're seemingly a measure of success, he has a good win ratio too. So as records go, he must have one of the best of the managers being mentioned.

Probably not my first choice, but would be content if he was appointed. 

Edited by Shropshire Lad

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

True.

Telegraph 06 Feb 2011.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-bromwich-albion/8307253/West-Brom-sack-Roberto-Di-Matteo-after-disastrous-run-of-results-of-13-defeats-in-the-last-18-matches.html

West Brom sack Roberto Di Matteo after disastrous run of results of 13 defeats in the last 18 matches.  Roberto Di Matteo was surprised and disappointed after being dismissed as West Bromwich Albion head coach….The club’s board made a “unanimous” decision to relieve the Italian of his duties and place him on ‘gardening leave’ after their 3-0 defeat at Manchester City, which completed a run of 13 defeats in the club’s last 18 matches.  Di Matteo’s departure – with West Brom outside the relegation zone by virtue of goal difference alone – prompted rumours that Sam Allardyce or Martin O’Neill might return to management……..[...]........Close friends of Di Matteo said he was irritated not to have been able to make proper reinforcements last month and in a statement released through the LMA, the 40 year-old explained that he was shocked by the club’s decision. “I was extremely surprised and disappointed to be relieved of my duties,” he said. “Winning promotion to the Premier League with West Brom last season was without doubt one of the highlights of my career and certainly my managerial career.

The thing is we are probably not going to get the ideal manager so whoever we get will have a mixed record. This could be a completely moot point, but I imagine Di Matteo has some good connections and i could imagine him attracting a few players - Pearson not so much.  Not saying this is a reason to appoint him or anything, just that his connections could be useful if he was appointed. 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Di Matteo would be good for me. To be odds on favourite 'out of the blue' - the bookies must have been given the nod by someone who knows him or via AVFC.

IF he is the pick of a new owner/consortium things should now move quickly. Alternatively could it be a temporary role?

• Like 1

I think he would be a terrible appointment and will take us down again. Dreadful dreadful.

on saying that though if it is him I wish you the best of success Roberto ! 

Just now, Richard said:

I think he would be a terrible appointment and will take us down again. Dreadful dreadful.

Oh my god!

How can you say that?

Give him a chance!

You just don't like him!

[/VillaTalk]

RDM has only completed a season twice! His longest in a job was Albion. Is he what we need? We need a manager who experienced at building football clubs as we are a shambles. He won the Champions League with AVB's team which just need helping along we need a complete rebuild. I don't think he is right for us or that good a manager. 

It is hard to judge how good an appointment RDM would/could be, as he has not held a position at any club for a decent amount of time. My gut feeling is that he wouldn't be a good choice. I don't think you can compare him with Ranieri in any way, shape or form. Two vastly different managerial records and experiences in my opinion.

• Like 1

Have just returned home and read this, and have to say that I am a little disappointed!  If the new owner/consortium want RDM as the man to bring us back, I am slightly worried.  Never saw this one coming and hoping it's just rumours.  

I like RDM as a bloke but I think he'd be completely wrong for AVFC in it's current state. As someone intimated earlier, he's another Garde or Sherwood type appointment. A big no from me sadly.