Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I reckon Martinez will end up back in Spain for his next job. 

Rodgers has the knowledge of the Championship that we are looking for but surely he would see us as too far a backward step? 

Our next manager depends entirely on a takeover. If we get sold and the buyers plan any sort of major rebuilding, the likes of Moyes and Rodgers might see a rejuvenation of Villa has a good job. If we're stuck with Lerner, even the Chuckle Brothers would see us as a risk to their careers and sanity. 

11 hours ago, thabucks said:

I see Rodgers is being linked with WBA. Surely with new owners and with even being in the championship we are a bigger draw. He got Swansea promoted playing attractive attacking football. Did ok at Pool. And I believe he could get the best out of  out attacking talent. 

Rogers would have to be a **** idiot to come here. His stock hasn't fallen that low.

This thread is making me sad. 

IF Lerner sells, in time, then Moyes will be the man and I'll be delighted to have him.

If he doesn't, then somebody who can get the most out of the dregs of a terrible squad that won't be improved nearly enough to get us back up regardless. So that we at least win a few games. I'd probably take Pearson on that basis because despite thinking he's a bit of a charlatan I do think he's a passhun manager who would achieve mediocrity with most squads, at least initially. 

18 minutes ago, midian said:

Di Matteo 1/2F with Betfair now and only 2/1 with 365.

I wouldnt mind him if im honest.

Wouldn't surprise me. He lives in the Midlands and must be thinking about getting back into work, but probably wouldn't be able to get a prem job.

I wouldn't be too against it, bit of a risk though.

No against Di Matteo but would be a gamble. His overall stats look OK (50,7 % Wins, 21,1 % Draw, 28,2 % Losses)

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/roberto-di-matteo/profil/trainer/6783

But I was just reading about his departure from Schalke 04, which put me off a bit........don't know, maybe worth a punt but risky 

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/confirmed-di-matteo-resigns-as-coach-of-schalke/view/news/198581  

The 44-year-old, speaking to the official club website, said: "We had been talking about how to face the upcoming season and I presented a plan for a possible successful future. "But although the talks with sporting director Horst Heldt were always constructive, it became clear that the club wants to focus on different points." Di Matteo was appointed in October last year. The Bundesliga outfit won just five games in the second half of this Bundesliga campaign and the coach had been lately criticized strongly.

Edited by Gary Thomas

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-rumour-shock-betting-11317994

Some bookmakers have this afternoon suspended betting on the next man for the job

A new odds-on favourite for the Aston Villa role has this afternoon emerged in the form of former Albion boss Roberto Di Matteo.

The Italian has been out of work since resigning as boss of Bundesliga side Schalke 12 months ago, having led Chelsea to Champions League glory in 2012.

Di Matteo left MK Dons for Albion in the summer of 2009, and in his first season at the club oversaw promotion from the Championship.

He was replaced by Roy Hodgson at the Hawthorns helm in February 2011 as Albion slid towards the relegation zone.

He then returned to work as assistant to Andre Villas-Boas at Stamford Bridge and ultimately replaced him.

Di Matteo has also previously been linked with replacing Quique Sanchez-Flores at Watford.

Edited by Sam3773

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

OK - he won CL with Chelsea....

....and oversaw Albion's promotion from the Championship in his first season at the club

.....but he's not good enough for Villa ?  Here we go again.....

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Di matteo has a great managerial record in england. He may have no done that well with Schalke, but Schalke were an absolute mess when he was in charge, and he still managed to have a positive win percentage there. 

I'd be very very happy with Di matteo. 

• Like 2