Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

17 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Someone at the very top will need to have big balls to do what's really necessary and that is to get rid of a big group of players, including: Hutton, Guzan, Lescott, Richards, Agbonlahor, Westwood, Sinclair - for starters.

This has been said for years, get rid of Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Ireland, N'Zogbia etc. Problems are a lot more complicated than our current squad.

• Like 3

I think we need to do what West Ham have done. Bring in someone of the ilk of Big Sam - not necessarily fashionable, but solid and you know what you are going to get (although granted he's not pulling up trees with Sunderland right now). Then once we are back in the Premier League and established for a couple of seasons, then we look to bring someone in who can push us on to the next level.

I would genuinely give Simon Grayson a go if we could get him. I've always been really impressed with him and how he sets his teams up, and he's done well everywhere he's been other than one sticky spell at Huddersfield. I think he would get the best out of any decent players we manage to keep and have coming through the youth teams, and he also knows the lower leagues well and his knowledge would help us bring the right players in. He's also managed teams to promotion, albeit not promotion from the Championship.

To be honest, Grayson was my choice when MON left, when Houllier left and when McLeish left, and he's now got 5 years more experience. I think he would get us back up and then we would have to make a decision as to where we go next.

• Like 4

If Sunderland go down and he fancies something different I absolutely, categorically endorse Big Sam. Grayson is another really good shout, Leeds sacking was mental and I think they'd be in the top flight now with him. Huddersfield sacking was justified but in hindsight a bad decision again. Knows the lower divisions, has been promoted from League One 4 times with 4 different clubs which is mind blowing really and as you say @GeordieVillan aside from that 12 game spell with a newly promoted Huddersfield has been successful in the championship. I also rated him as a player. 

All round excellent idea.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I think we need to do what West Ham have done. Bring in someone of the ilk of Big Sam - not necessarily fashionable, but solid and you know what you are going to get (although granted he's not pulling up trees with Sunderland right now). Then once we are back in the Premier League and established for a couple of seasons, then we look to bring someone in who can push us on to the next level.

I would genuinely give Simon Grayson a go if we could get him. I've always been really impressed with him and how he sets his teams up, and he's done well everywhere he's been other than one sticky spell at Huddersfield. I think he would get the best out of any decent players we manage to keep and have coming through the youth teams, and he also knows the lower leagues well and his knowledge would help us bring the right players in. He's also managed teams to promotion, albeit not promotion from the Championship.

To be honest, Grayson was my choice when MON left, when Houllier left and when McLeish left, and he's now got 5 years more experience. I think he would get us back up and then we would have to make a decision as to where we go next.

Grayson...

I'd rather have McLeish as manager, lambert as his assistant houllier as goalkeeper coach and then Timmy as director of football before him!

Pearson's reputation seems at an all time high.

He took on a relegated Hull City and finished 12th in the Championship. It took him a while to get things going at Leicester before one excellent promotion season. In the premiership they were awful until their miraculous finish. He's not going to come in and turn things around immediately. What he has got going for him is a very good knowledge of the division, and the strong character needed. However, has he ever done much bringing youth players through? 

The dream appointment would be Moyes, I still believe we could attract him in the Championship. Obviously Randy/board will need to give him a decent amount of funds to lure him, but he would have us back in the PL top 10 within two seasons IMO.

• Like 4

The question has to be: if we were looking for a manager to build a squad and campaign to get us out of the Championship, would we go for a manager like Garde?

I don't think so. He may do OK at a reasonably resourced, well-run, stable premier league club, but the next few seasons at Villa are going to be mental and we need a hard-bitten, battle-hardened manager who knows what it takes to get promotion and can handle the instability caused by all this change the club is launching itself into coupled with Lerner's continued cheapjack funding policy.

Personally I'm hoping Sam Allardyce will be free. I'd take Moyes as well.

• Like 3

There's one reason I'd like garde to still be here at the start of next season.

He SHOULD know exactly who we need to get rid of in the playing squad.

Another manager could easily walk in and think they could get gabby, Richards, Richardson, Hutton sinclair etc. Playing well and promoted from the championship. It's easy to ignore the last few years when you weren't watching it every week.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

It's been said many times before but unless Lerner goes and/or we receive significant financial investment we're knackered, irrespective of who's in the hot seat next season.

Pretty much. People talk about motivating players but it requires much more than that. This squad needs serious investment to stay in the championship let alone compete for promotion. Some players in our squad struggle to play a few games in a row, they would struggle in the championship. I think people are in for a shock next season with or without a new manager. Agbonlahor for one seems to pick up an awful lot of injuries yet no doubt would probably be our main striker next season with yet more cost cutting, it's a farce.

Steve Bruce, Mark Warburton, Nigel Pearson

Any one of those three would be ideal IMO and we would then need to sign about 6 players.

Fox,Reilly,Almstadt,Garde,Ray,Black and Duverne all need their P45's.

34 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I would go for Moyes. Get some stability in place with a manager that knows what he's doing.

He has been monumentally shit since he left Everton