David Bernstein

PompeyVillan

On 12/3/2016 at 04:24, foreveryoung said:

Looks like all the money is going on the board, not new signings. Bernstein is 73, they must be paying him a amazing salary to come to this club, from working at Man City.

He hasn't come straight from Man City.

17 hours ago, villan_007 said:

He hasn't come straight from Man City.

Bernstein was Chairman of Man C from 1998-2003.

During that time they were

relegated from Division 1 to Division 2 in 1997-8;

promoted back to Division 1 in 1998-9;

promoted to the Premier League in 1999-2000;

relegated back to Division 1 in 2000-1;

promoted back to the Premier League in 2001-2; and

mid-table Premier League in 2002-3, although he resigned in march 2003.

More recently he has run Wembley Stadium and been chair of the FA.

He left Man C a long time before their current resurgence although you can see, given his adventures with the club, why he might be attractive to Villa. 

• Like 1

Sitting on a board is a part time job that many ex chairman do when they are in their 70s. Board members will sit on multiple boards at the same time if they want more of a full time workload.

It's like a semi retirement, you attend the board meetings and review the progress of the club, providing direction if things are going poorly.

He won't be picking up massive wages for it but it is useful to have someone with his experience looking over things. 

• Like 1

He came in as Man. City chairman in March 1998 when they were about to be relegated to division two as it was then so a very similar situation and eventually helped settle the football club down and get them back up the leagues so good appointment imo.

What remit does he had that differs from Hollis though? He could do the club chairman role with his eyes closed so maybe Hollis is going to be potted near future, we can only hope so.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He came in as Man. City chairman in March 1998 when they were about to be relegated to division two as it was then so a very similar situation and eventually helped settle the football club down and get them back up the leagues so good appointment imo.

What remit does he had that differs from Hollis though? He could do the club chairman role with his eyes closed so maybe Hollis is going to be potted near future, we can only hope so.

A board is normally made up of several members, Hollis is the chairman but a boardroom will usually have 5-10 people sitting around the table discussing and deciding on a direction for the company.  

I'm not sure why there is this dislike for Hollis either. He seems to have made a number of shrewd appointments so far. The club is finally getting some leadership at the top and Learner is being sidelined from deciding on the direction of the club. Only time will tell but he seems like a good appointment as chairman. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

My worry on Hollis is not saying stuff like "consumers" as plenty of people in football now describe that as fans but more he's taking one look at the wage bill and will instruct a massive fire sale.

We will not be competitive in the championship with just youth players, free transfer and loanees, he needs to get that right and a man with football experience would see that so hopefully Bernstein will have a word in that direction.

On 14/03/2016 at 01:24, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Saint and Greavsie was awesome. 

Villa about 3.40 in away to Arsenal. McGrath clears the ball brilliantly, great hold up play from Cascarino and onto Chrissy Price...

At 4:25, "So while Villa were doing well at the top of the table Manchester City were struggling away for points in their battle to avoid relegation."  Those were the days!

Bernstein's interview, on OS, gives a fuller picture of the structure at the top, and a claim of a slight link with the club through his father and uncle, without claiming to be a fan. I hope they keep Garde, and involve him in everything they are attempting to achieve, because I think the plan Fox and co. were trying to instigate is the way forward if carried out correctly. I am invariably optimistic, and, where Villa is concerned, often disappointed. 

On 15/03/2016 at 10:31, VillaChris said:

My worry on Hollis is not saying stuff like "consumers" as plenty of people in football now describe that as fans but more he's taking one look at the wage bill and will instruct a massive fire sale.

We will not be competitive in the championship with just youth players, free transfer and loanees, he needs to get that right and a man with football experience would see that so hopefully Bernstein will have a word in that direction.

Not really an issue, there is nobody in this 25 man squad that's really worth keeping IMO

tbh at first with Hollis I didnt like him, but to be fair to him he has done what the fans have asked. Got rid of fox and that other clown and brought a experienced football guy in Bernstein and a villa man in Little. so I will give him a chance.