bringbackbigron

I have massive respect for Brian Little and do not knock him for taking his advisory role and do believe he has the club's interests at heart. However:

1. We are soon to be relegated from the PL for the first time ever and in the nearly 30 years

2. The squad is a shambles and the likes of Agbonlahor, Lescott, Bacuna and Richards are adding insult to injury. In terms of attitude this squad is ****** pathetic. Despite our dire position the ******s just add to the misery, succeeded in getting another manager fired and have been an total embarrassment all season and most are not fit to wear the shirt. 

3. Our owner cannot be bothered by turn up to games and has totally distanced himself from the club. I don't buy the 'better the devil you know' claims and wish he would just **** off! He has ruined our club, potentially for years. 

4. Hollis is good at firing people both at the top and throughout the club but is yet to show he is anything other than Lerner's poodle. Appointing the likes of Bernstein, Little etc may make no difference if there is **** all to spend. Let's see what happens when it comes to spending money.

5. Krulak is back lurking in the wings like a sycophantic pile of shit. 

6. We may yet appoint Nigel Pearson, Mick McCarthy or Steve Bruce

7. I have my doubts that we will sign enough players with sufficient quality to keep us in the Championship never mind get us back to the PL. 

So to all those who say Brian Little and the 'football board' should be given a chance, I say, I will believe it when I see it but until then I believe **** all. Hollis may have cut out some of the cancer, but the tumour is still here. It is difficult to be anything other than negative and calling for the fans to positive is far too premature. The club is still a disaster. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

The new board should absolutely be given chance , at this point what other actions could they really have taken

Yeah but one of them didn't have amazing stats as a striker so, you know, there is that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I have massive respect for Brian Little and do not knock him for taking his advisory role and do believe he has the club's interests at heart. However:

1. We are soon to be relegated from the PL for the first time ever and in the nearly 30 years

2. The squad is a shambles and the likes of Agbonlahor, Lescott, Bacuna and Richards are adding insult to injury. In terms of attitude this squad is ****** pathetic. Despite our dire position the ******s just add to the misery, succeeded in getting another manager fired and have been an total embarrassment all season and most are not fit to wear the shirt. 

3. Our owner cannot be bothered by turn up to games and has totally distanced himself from the club. I don't buy the 'better the devil you know' claims and wish he would just **** off! He has ruined our club, potentially for years. 

4. Hollis is good at firing people both at the top and throughout the club but is yet to show he is anything other than Lerner's poodle. Appointing the likes of Bernstein, Little etc may make no difference if there is **** all to spend. Let's see what happens when it comes to spending money.

7. I have my doubts that we will sign enough players with sufficient quality to keep us in the Championship never mind get us back to the PL. 

So to all those who say Brian Little and the 'football board' should be given a chance, I say, I will believe it when I see it but until then I believe **** all. Hollis may have cut out some of the cancer, but the tumour is still here. It is difficult to be anything other than negative and calling for the fans to positive is far too premature. The club is still a disaster. 

Mike I more often than not find myself in total agreement with you but on point 6 there is the thorny issue that we can only appointment someone who wants the job and if we get down to the point where Pearson, Bruce or McCarthy are the stand out candidate as everyone else has ruled themselves out I dont think the board could be blamed for appointing who they thought gave us the best opportunity of turning it round.

Should the new manager fail I can see us becoming the new Sheff Wednesday.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Mike I more often than not find myself in total agreement with you but on point 6 there is the thorny issue that we can only appointment someone who wants the job and if we get down to the point where Pearson, Bruce or McCarthy are the stand out candidate as everyone else has ruled themselves out I dont think the board could be blamed for appointing who they thought gave us the best opportunity of turning it round.

Should the new manager fail I can see us becoming the new Sheff Wednesday.

Mate, In my opinion there is a good chance we WILL become the next Sheffield Wednesday if we appoint any of these three. However whoever we appoint, if they are not backed, it will all be rather academic.

• Like 1

Brian Little was a star and he may not have scored that many goals he created loads and he gave his all for Villa every game i saw him play and he was brilliant and very underrated!!!!  His job was not to score goals he was to create the chances for others and that's exactly what he did!!!!!  

Enough said now STFU!!!!!

At 2, Brian Little has the same number of L's in his name as Gabriel Agbonlahor. This is more than currently en-vogue unemployed Scottish football manager David Moyes or Australian folk singer-songwriter Xavier Rudd (0), but sadly less than bemusingly well-capped Hodgson acolyte Adam Lallana or American post-modernist novelist Don DeLillo (3). 

L is not my favourite letter, despite appearing twice in my own name (as many as Brian Little!)

L is worth a measly one point in Scrabble. 

• Like 2

The issues about Little's membership of the board today have nothing to do whatsoever with how good a player he was 30-40 years ago.

Nor really about how good a manager he was 20 years ago.

It's about what he brings to the table in terms of knowledge and judgment about running a successful club in the modern premier league.

CHECK.

Forgetting about reality for a second.

About getting a club in serious decline out of the modern-day championship & back into the premier league.

He needed a bloody haircut.

That's my main abiding memory of my Dads views on him.

Although I have one other - how he used to roar his approval and delight (not something he was given to doing really) when Brian used to do that huge back heel over his/and opposing players heads and ran onto it.  Better than the Cruyff turn anyday.

Anyway, he knows, the Board knows, the fans know, and everybody knows that everybody else knows, that since us he's not done a lot  - but so what ?  He isn't here to be a recently retired advisor, he is here, one hopes, and reasonably infers from all the appointments, to give a Villa player/persons perspective on footballing things.  That isn't being a scout, or a Manager, or coach, but anyone with a smidgen of thought can work out all sorts of areas he can input.  So what on earth is the problem ?

And yes of course we all have to "wait and see" whether the new changes will be effective, and/or whether they remove the need to remove the owner (except for those for whom it has become personal), and whether financial backing is there.  But "wait and see" does/should mean exactly that.  There have been changes, nobody knows how it will work out, but only an ostrich would say nothing has changed. 

We can't/shouldn't protest the past.  The present has brought change.  We ought to give the future a chance. Be watchful yes, hold up the "what future" banners yes, express our outrage at the players who no longer (if ever ) care, let the Board and Lerner know we aren't happy yes, but let's see eh ?  It is after all in all our interests that the new set up works isn't it ? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

So basically a rant about the club rather than it being directly about Brian Little!! We all wanted a Villa bloke on the board we've got it and only time will tell if it makes a difference but how anyone can moan when the things we want to happen actually do is beyond me.  

57 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The issues about Little's membership of the board today have nothing to do whatsoever with how good a player he was 30-40 years ago.

Nor really about how good a manager he was 20 years ago.

It's about what he brings to the table in terms of knowledge and judgment about running a successful club in the modern premier league.

CHECK.

Forgetting about reality for a second.

About getting a club in serious decline out of the modern-day championship & back into the premier league.

Luckily he is part of a board who have experience in getting clubs up. 

9 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Luckily he is part of a board who have experience in getting clubs up. 

Well one of them does (Bernstein). Hollis and Krulak don't.

But this discussion now logically should move to the new board thread.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

On 3 April 2016 at 18:54, Risso said:

Agreed, but also cheering them to the rafters is a bit previous as well.  The board might be an improvement, it might not.  Most people thought that Tom Fox was going to be a great appointment after Paul Faulkner, but he was an absolute unmitigated disaster.  I love Sir Brian to bits, but for all his love of Villa, his career since leaving Villa has hardly been stellar, and the last 10 years have seen him sacked by Wrexham, sacked by Gainsborough Trinity, out of football altogether, and most latterly DoF at Jersey, which is the equivalent of Sunday League football.

I take your point, but equally some revered managers had their iffy moments at other clubs too like Leeds and Brighton for Brian Clough.

Rarely do managers pull up trees at every club they manage.

17 hours ago, blandy said:

I used to be Brian Little, in the playground and in Kickabouts

(in my mind).

(sometimes I was Giddy, too, or Sid, but mainly BL)

I was Morley,  always Morley

• Like 1

Â