bringbackbigron

6 hours ago, TRO said:

This really is like a "duck shoot"

Every appointment is wrong and every move is frowned upon.

What are these guys to do ....leave it as it is?

When we are appraising the candidates for the new managers job.....It is highly, very highly unlikely that the CV is going to be flawless.....We will not attract those guys......its almost pointless making the point.

We have cocked up many times and we could well do so again....but we must try our hardest to get a man that can make an impact in turning this ship around.

He may not be the right man for the long term.....but right now we have a massive indiscipline problem at BMH and it requires IMMEDIATE attention.

It is unlikely we are going to find someone that can tick every box imaginable, but we must first identify the most pressing need  and match that man to that piece of criteria.

The depths we have sunk it may take more than one manager to get us back to respectability.

Ps On another note there will come a time very shortly when the negativity that is well justified has to stop.....The changes must be given a chance.

Agree completely  - especially the PS - fans wont like to hear it but there is evidence (not proof, but evidence) that steps are being taken to genuinely put right past mistakes.  and as such there will come a time  - maybe very soon ? - when those who retain such negativity will actually have to accept they could become part of the problem.

P.S. just realised I've virtually just repeated your P.S.....

Edited by terrytini

3 hours ago, VillaCas said:

People clapping Hutton and patting him on the back as he goes out. Mindless f*****g sycophants.

Glad you said it....i was thinking similar

• Like 1

Not sure what Hutton's performance and reception has to do with Brian Little. So in an attempt to get this back on topic let me say something about BL that will no doubt be very unpopular. I loved him as a player - he was simply one of the best I have ever seen in a Villa shirt - and I admired him as a manager in the early days. He did end that bit of his Villa career in comparative failure though. And since then his success as a manager has been negligible. In his most recent role, he opined that leading Jersey in the 2016 Muratti Vase would "rival any of his previous achievements."

Ever since Lerner arrived this club seems to have been largely about spin and PR, a lot of it very heavy-handed. I can't see Little's appointment at the moment as anything but a move to placate the fans by appointing a Villa legend to the Board. As with all the latest round of appointments, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Respect and admire Brian Little as I do for what he did for Villa 20-30 years ago, I will reserve judgment now until we see exactly what impact his appointment will have on the club. So far, none that is apparent. We wait to see.

13 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Ever since Lerner arrived this club seems to have been largely about spin and PR, a lot of it very heavy-handed. I can't see Little's appointment at the moment as anything but a move to placate the fans by appointing a Villa legend to the Board. As with all the latest round of appointments, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Respect and admire Brian Little as I do for what he did for Villa 20-30 years ago, I will reserve judgment now until we see exactly what impact his appointment will have on the club. So far, none that is apparent. We wait to see.

That's fair comment. Thing is though, he absolutely does love the club, does have plenty of experience of football across many aspects of the game, he's honest and hard working and has many great qualities. Given that there are now also other knowledgeable people on board, then while there are no guarantees that they will get it right, I think there's a much better chance that they will than there has been for a very long time. It's the appointment of bernstein, bevington, little together which to me strongly suggests that it is not PR

• Like 2

On 2 April 2016 at 10:29, MrDuck said:

If anyone in the world deserves to be cut a bit of slack at Villa and given a chance to show he can do a job, it's surely Brian Little?

Years of no football experience upstairs whatsoever, now we have one of our best ever players and the last manager to win us a trophy, not to mention someone who is clearly an intelligent articulate man, who has the club in his blood. From where I'm sitting that's a hell of an upgrade on what we had. And people are slating him already... the mind boggles.

Welcome to Villa Talk. :)

On 2 April 2016 at 08:34, It's Your Round said:

I fully agree TRO. I sometimes think that Villa fans have been fed up for that long that negativity is the only response known. 

Football, like life, is much better with some optimism. Let's hope that these new board members can start to rebuild Villa. They might fail, they might not. But criticising from off won't help. 

Agreed, but also cheering them to the rafters is a bit previous as well.  The board might be an improvement, it might not.  Most people thought that Tom Fox was going to be a great appointment after Paul Faulkner, but he was an absolute unmitigated disaster.  I love Sir Brian to bits, but for all his love of Villa, his career since leaving Villa has hardly been stellar, and the last 10 years have seen him sacked by Wrexham, sacked by Gainsborough Trinity, out of football altogether, and most latterly DoF at Jersey, which is the equivalent of Sunday League football.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Not sure what Hutton's performance and reception has to do with Brian Little. So in an attempt to get this back on topic let me say something about BL that will no doubt be very unpopular. I loved him as a player - he was simply one of the best I have ever seen in a Villa shirt - and I admired him as a manager in the early days. He did end that bit of his Villa career in comparative failure though. And since then his success as a manager has been negligible. In his most recent role, he opined that leading Jersey in the 2016 Muratti Vase would "rival any of his previous achievements."

I have a notion that Brian Little would not risk his valued reputation with the fans to put himself as the owners PR stunt.

If you know the man he far more steel like in his demeanor than is first thought....He is nobodies patsy.

• Like 2

We wanted 'football people" involved in running the club. We now have two permanent and one temporary appointment. Before Brain Little is shot down in flames by VT I would quite like to see if he can make a difference.

• Like 2

I'm very happy that Brian is involved and I have far more confidence in him having a hand in making a football-related decision than say Fox, however, like many on here I'll wait to see how the next six months pan out before I put the flags out!

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Had a similar goal scoring record to that of gabby.

Has similar trainers to that of Alan Hutton.

Just thought I'd add a completely pointless and irrelevant comment as well so you don't feel left out.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Has similar trainers to that of Alan Hutton.

Just thought I'd add a completely pointless and irrelevant comment as well so you don't feel left out.

Stats about Brian little not relevant in a Brian little thread?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

And your point is?

Simply that he had a similar goal scoring record to gabby.

Had I said he had one like Ronaldo, I'm sure the response would have been different. Unfortunately, he didn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RimmyJimmer said:

And your point is?

You have to always bear in mind that the 'sport" for some on VT (and other forums) is less to do with AVFC/football and more to do with being totally negative about absolutely everything. In the absence of anything substantial to moan about in this case, something had to be brought up.

• Like 1

Â