Tottenham Preview

limpid

Aston Villa and Tottenham go head to head in the Premier League this weekend and despite their abysmal form, the relegation battle is far from over and the home side will look to turn it around. The Villans have lost five of their last six Premier League games and need to start putting together a few wins if they want to keep their hopes of survival alive. The home side cannot drop any more points and will need to start their revival against Spurs this weekend. Villa picked up an impressive win against Spurs towards the end of last season and they will be looking to replicate that once again. The Football betting tips from this weekend are understandably stacked against Villa, and news that Tom Fox is earning £1m+ / year as chairman while the club sinks to new depths has only added fuel to the raging fire. Spurs will be looking to bounce back from their humiliating 3-0 loss against Borussia Dortmund. The Londoners were beaten comprehensively and it will be interesting to see if the defeat has had any impact on the players’ morale. A dejected Spurs side will be good news for Aston Villa, who will need a bit of luck to come away with a positive result from this game. Although Pochettino will be looking to put the Dortmund result behind them as soon as possible and concentrate on the title challenge, away trips to relegation threatened sides are always tricky and Villa will have every chance if they can replicate some of their performances from earlier this season. Remi Garde’s side have done well against City, West Ham and Leicester at home this season and will need to show the same determination and hunger against Spurs.

Read: http://outthedooron74.co.uk/

Team News

Remi Garde will have most of his players fit and ready to choose from this weekend. The only injury concerns for Aston Villa are Jordan Amavi and Adama Traore. Jack Grealish is a doubt for the game and will be assessed closer to kick off. As for Spurs, Pochettino was without a few of his starters for the trip to Germany during the midweek and will look to field his strongest lineup against Villa. The Londoners are without the services of Jan Vertonghen, Clinton N'Jie and Danny Rose. All three are sidelined due to injury for the Premier League outfit.

Starting Lineups

Aston Villa: Guzan; Hutton, Richards, Lescott, Clark, Cissokho; Westwood, Gueye, Veretout; Ayew, Agbonlahor

Tottenham: Lloris; Walker, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Davies; Dembele, Dier; Eriksen, Alli, Lamela; Kane

Key Stats

Aston Villa have failed to win 26 of their last 28 matches in the Premier League. Tottenham are undefeated in 25 of their last 28 matches in the Premier League. Tottenham have won 7 of their last 8 matches against Aston Villa in all competitions.

Prediction: Aston Villa 1-1 Tottenham

The home side will be determined to pick up some points here. The 3-0 loss against Dortmund could have a negative impact on the Spurs players and if Villa can perform like they have against some of the top 6 sides at home, there is no reason why they cannot take something from the game.

Hi Limpid,

Well written and there's a lot of reason & logic behind us getting a result. However, MP rested Kane & Lamela against a better team, to spank us (GD is worth a point) as the title or top 4 is a definate possibility. Winning the EL to qualify for CL is more difficult.

With this in mind I think if we go a goal down it'll be beyond us.

Us scoring 1st is our only hope of a point, and a red card for Spuds is our only hope for 3.

VTID

otdo74

Fox out

Lerner please sell

All this please before Hollis reduces the club to a skeleton and the fans to tears

While it is true that games against relegation candidates are often trickier from this point onwards, I feel that's only true of sides who are in and around the relegation zone as opposed to those cut well adrift and with hope and confidence at almost zero.  Of the sides through Premier League history who were as far from safety as we are now, most became cannon fodder rather than an effective banana skin.  I can't see us getting anything like a draw.  My only hope is that the score remains respectable because Kane, as prolific as he is over a season, doesn't tend to score bag loads in a single game the same way that someone like Aguero can sometimes do.  For me this is a 3-0 all day long.  Nothing puts this game into starker focus than the 'Key Stats' section.

Villa season
WLLDLLLLLLLDLLDLDDLLWDDLWLLLL

Spurs season
LDDDWWWDDWWDWDDLWWWDLWWWWWWLD

I think your finger slipped when typing that scoreline prediction Limpid ;). I am struggling to see anything other than us letting in another 3+ goals and being on the receiving end of another spanking, with us maybe snatching one if Spurs get too comfortable and switch off for a few minutes. Thererfore I am predicting a 1-4 defeat. :(

4 hours ago, BOF said:

While it is true that games against relegation candidates are often trickier from this point onwards, I feel that's only true of sides who are in and around the relegation zone as opposed to those cut well adrift and with hope and confidence at almost zero.  Of the sides through Premier League history who were as far from safety as we are now, most became cannon fodder rather than an effective banana skin.  I can't see us getting anything like a draw.  My only hope is that the score remains respectable because Kane, as prolific as he is over a season, doesn't tend to score bag loads in a single game the same way that someone like Aguero can sometimes do.  For me this is a 3-0 all day long.  Nothing puts this game into starker focus than the 'Key Stats' section.

Villa season
WLLDLLLLLLLDLLDLDDLLWDDLWLLLL

Spurs season
LDDDWWWDDWWDWDDLWWWDLWWWWWWLD

Two sides struggling for form i'd say :)