Dark Souls III

Phumfeinz

The swamp is irritating initially but you can start to get your bearings quite quickly and the poison is less of a problem once you've leveled a bit.

I probably found the dungeon more irritating, because despite is length the jailers are amongst the worst enemies in the game.

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2016 at 20:40, Phumfeinz said:

Finished this a few days ago, the final boss was pretty lame and underwhelming imo and I was surprised to see the credits start rolling. Overall it was solid, but I didn't enjoy it as much as 2.

The final boss is more a context boss as it's the amalgamation of the thousands of chosen undead that have succeeded and failed linking the first flame. That boss has the attacks of many bosses from throughout the series. For lore nerds it's an epic end to an epic series, but as far as bosses go I can see how it can be pretty lame especially considering some of the bosses the game has.

@Chindie I have probably watched that trailer several times since it launched and it never fails to get me excited. I just wish they chose the release date better, this DLC could easily be a November/December release rather than the same date as 'The Last Guardian'. I am not sure which game I will load up come October 25th.. Eight years in the making Last Guardian or my game of the year with ease Dark Souls 3. Tough decision.. 

Yeah I realised what they were going for and it is a cool idea, I just think the execution could have been better. I think I was just hoping for a more epic finale to the series than 'tall dude in a field doing familiar moves'. Mix the arena up a little throughout the fight as opposed to leaving it static. Have the area crumble and change, get warped to different locations as the boss changes movesets, that kinda thing.

6 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Yeah I realised what they were going for and it is a cool idea, I just think the execution could have been better. I think I was just hoping for a more epic finale to the series than 'tall dude in a field doing familiar moves'. Mix the arena up a little throughout the fight as opposed to leaving it static. Have the area crumble and change, get warped to different locations as the boss changes movesets, that kinda thing.

Yeah I agree there. They could have done a lot more to make it feel a lot more epic. I feel this is compounded more by bosses like Dancer of the Boreal Valley where the boss arena sets on fire when it finally enrages, just little things like that help. Others like Nameless King having an aerial phase and a ground phase in an arena made of clouds.. So many cool bosses that the final Soul of Cinder was just a bit lame. Here's hoping the DLC 'Ashes of Ariandel' adds some more memorable bosses which seems to be the trend with this developer, they seem to hold onto their truly great content for the DLC. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DLC out this week (unless you own an Xbox, in which case you might already be playing it, thanks to Microsoft being incompetent).

Watching some footage, its making me think how much I actually enjoyed playing this earlier in the year. There's so much about the game that I should dislike, and it certainly had its moments where I was prepared to walk away, but I still have really fond memories of playing it. Looking forward to the DLC.

I won't spoil anything, but I already beat it. It took me 3-4 hours and that was me playing very slowly, exploring every nook, and killing everything that I could. I am very disappointed. The new weapons and armor are very mediocre. There is a serious lack of content to this DLC. This is the first time I have been disappointed by FROMSOFT. Even the new pvp is not that great. I am trying to find a match on release day and struggling. 

• Like 1

Taken a day or two and a second play through of the DLC to think it over..

This DLC was lazy and uninspired.. There is nothing of worth to this content and it felt so forced as if From Software felt obligated to make something because of the previously released Season Pass.

Dark Souls 3: DLC 2 needs to be The Old Hunters (Bloodborne) levels of good otherwise this is one hell of a low point to retire the series on.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daweii said:

Dark Souls 3: DLC 2 needs to be The Old Hunters (Bloodborne) levels of good otherwise this is one hell of a low point to retire the series on.  

Yup this point scares me considering how little the new dlc actually brought to the table.

Thoughts:

Spoiler

There are not many new enemies, one of the bosses is essentially an npc invader and the wolf is a mini boss you encounter earlier, and there is not that much new gear. Typically a Souls/bloodborne dlc took me at least 8-10 hours. It felt creative with various enemies who all attacked differently, but this one was not like that. All the enemies pretty much just did physical damage. I never felt nervous fighting anyone. The new arena also kind of sucks that I can't team up with my friend and 2v2 some other people. It also takes a long time to get into a game. 

Â