Dark Souls III

Phumfeinz

Release date: April 12th

DARKSOUL_facebook_mini.jpg

Figured I'd start a new thread for this as it's release is quickly approaching. I am so goddamn hyped for this game, and there have been a lot of videos emerging in the past few days showing off a fair bit of the early game (lots of spoilers though, so maybe don't watch them if you want to go in 100% blind). I will say though that after watching several of the videos my hype levels have gone through the roof. This game looks good.

Watched a few vids myself.

I have this odd relationship with Dark Souls. I adore the world and the look and the ideas and the atmosphere. I've never managed to enjoy playing one. I've played the first 4 or 5 times, bought it nearly as many, and whilst i wouldn't say I'm good at it I've done alright. And then I get to Blight Town and I can't play it anymore. The annoyance and frustration factor in combination with the terrible technical performance at the moment makes me walk away, every time.

So I looked at the videos that came out from the event they hosted the other day and again I'm sat there thinking I really really want to play that but I know within a few hours I'll hate it and never touch it again.

Saying that, this one does apparently pick up a few elements of Bloodborne so it plays more like a bastard child of both series, which might help me enjoy it more. It looks a lot like Bloodborne as well, some of the environments and particularly enemies they've almost copy pasted into this by the looks of things. And technically it's a pretty game by the looks of things.

A lot of the reaction to it so far has seemed oddly muted, that I've seen, though, for some reason.

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Blight Town

Did you play 2 at all? There weren't really any areas in it like Blight Town, I think they realised just how shitty an area that is so I wouldn't expect to see anything like it in 3.

Though saying that, 3 is clearly a lot more similar in tone and appearance to 1 than 2 so maybe there will be. :lol:

8 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Did you play 2 at all? There weren't really any areas in it like Blight Town, I think they realised just how shitty an area that is so I wouldn't expect to see anything like it in 3.

Though saying that, 3 is clearly a lot more similar in tone and appearance to 1 than 2 so maybe there will be. :lol:

Never played 2. I've nearly bought it a dozen times and then just don't, due to the same issues I mentioned. I know I'll do alright, and then reach a point that I can no longer overcome the frustration of playing and bin it off.

For some reason I have less of that feeling with what I've seen of 3 - it seems to have made a more immediately offensive, faster style of play more viable early on, hence the Bloodborne comparisons, and that combined to hopefully less horrendous performance appeals.

Absolutely not a day one purchase though. I'll let the community be a guinea pig.

Played it at Insomnia and it looked the usual high standard.

I finished DS 1 and 2 and Bloodborne and absolutely love all of them so this is a definite purchase for me.

Edited by Designer1

My issue isn't the game play, the difficulty or the time you have to put in. What gets to me is that I get fed up of clearing out the lesser enemy, get to the harder mini/boss...die then have to re clear the same enemies again. It's not like you can just wade into them either, it's a cheap way of making a game seem longer than it is.

On 5 March 2016 at 15:53, mightysasquatch said:

My issue isn't the game play, the difficulty or the time you have to put in. What gets to me is that I get fed up of clearing out the lesser enemy, get to the harder mini/boss...die then have to re clear the same enemies again. It's not like you can just wade into them either, it's a cheap way of making a game seem longer than it is.

It's not a cheap way of making the game longer since plenty of top gamers get through these areas first time or just run past enemies altogether. You don't have to fight them if you don't want to. What it does give you is a sense of achievement unmatched in most modern games when you persevere and finally beat an area.

And Chindie, if you're struggling, either grind levels a bit or get a couple of summons to help out. There's no part of these games that are impossible for most non-casual gamers, in my opinion. If you struggle there's usually something you can learn from it and changing your approach often yields results I find.

Cant wait for the new game. Watched some of the pre-release footage the other days and it looks ace. Appears to hark back to Demon's Souls with a hub area though so it suggests the world isn't as inter-connected as the first Dark Souls game which would be a shame.

19 hours ago, Ginko said:

It's not a cheap way of making the game longer since plenty of top gamers get through these areas first time or just run past enemies altogether. You don't have to fight them if you don't want to. What it does give you is a sense of achievement unmatched in most modern games when you persevere and finally beat an area.

And Chindie, if you're struggling, either grind levels a bit or get a couple of summons to help out. There's no part of these games that are impossible for most non-casual gamers, in my opinion. If you struggle there's usually something you can learn from it and changing your approach often yields results I find.

Cant wait for the new game. Watched some of the pre-release footage the other days and it looks ace. Appears to hark back to Demon's Souls with a hub area though so it suggests the world isn't as inter-connected as the first Dark Souls game which would be a shame.

That's the thing. I wouldn't say I was struggling at all. I wasn't smashing through it like an old hand but I wasn't fighting the game either. I got to Blight Town with what I'd guess was no more than average trouble with it. I wasn't massively enjoying it but I was happy to keep plugging through it and I enjoyed the style of it all.

Then I hit Blight Town and the awful performance completely undermined everything and absolutely sapped my desire to go further. I've never been able to muster any interest in going further through it since. That area of the game just turned everything to shit, it made me stop wanting to enjoy the game and made the irritating elements of it starkly clear.

The Blighttown framerate issue is quite a well-known thing but patches have fixed that, I believe. Dark Souls 2 doesn't suffer from anything like that as far as I can remember. Either way, you shouldn't have to worry about those issues anymore if you wanted to go back and get back into them, which if you enjoyed the game pre-Blighttown I would highly recommend.

Pre-ordered the game last night and was told that the collectors edition is sold out everywhere! 

I will also be purchasing the guide again. I got it for dark souls 2 and it made the game so much more fun. Invading people with hidden gear was great. 

I'm kinda glad it's out earlier in Japan as I have a reputation among my friends as the Souls pro, I complete these games like they are nothing and know all there is to know so I get so many questions as if I'm a human strategy guide. It'll be nice for the first time since Demon's Souls to get a head start on learning and mastering a Souls game before the questions start coming in. I have a Japanese version pre-purchased on PS4 and a UK version pre-purchased on PC, looking forward to seeing how Dark Souls 3 plays at 60FPS on PC so that will be interesting but kinda happy I get a 3 week head start on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Giant Bomb have a 2hr play through up at the moment. Not watched all of it but seems they've had a lot of problems with it crashing. Looks nice though, and yeah it's Dark Souls for sure.

I've only had it crash on me once in about 6 hours of playtime, it seemed completely random and I was unable to recreate it in the same spot. The game is a little unpolished for something that had a full release just the other day as the frame rate is all over the place on Xbox One and PS4, while it suffers from some geometry pop in on some of the more visually complex areas of the game. Nothing a couple weeks of polish between now and the EU/NA launch on the 12th April won't fix, there is likely going to be a day one patch in those regions based on those I have been talking to. 

Â