Weekends football 4/6 March

andykeenan

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Stan Collymore just made a brilliant point on Talksport....I mentioned the exact same point the other day.

When you're walking down a busy street like in London or any town centre, you don't thrown your arms up in the air and collapse to the ground when someone brushes past you and makes "contact."

Let's concrete the penalty area and then players will think twice about falling over. ;):D

Are you sure that's a brilliant point? 

• Like 1

Too many penalties are given for the slightest contact.

Personally I'd like to see a sliding scale given for offences....e.g. of course you give a penalty if someone comes through the back, cleans you out or trips you.

Any slight nudge or brush of the shoulders or whatever and I'd give a free kick in the box so not as severe punishment. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Martial looks an average player everytime i see him play, i dont get what the fuss is about. No way is he worth what they paid.

Still not a bad return. I like his movement off the last defence and good finisher when through on goal. A player who'll improve more with experience.

25 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Palace's collapse is quite spectacular this season. People were seriously talking up their chances to get into the Europa this year. Still I would be delighted for Villa to have 33 points.

They were level on points with Spurs on Christmas day.  (29 points)

Edited by The_Rev

25 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

They were level on points with Spurs on Christmas day.  (29 points)

Pardew has previous with Newcastle doesn't he. Twice I recall they just gave up completely after Christmas.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I haven't seen this incident.

Its one of those things that really annoys me though in general, when pundits look at reply after reply and then "oh yes, you can just see his toe touch the attackers foot".

Doesnt make it a foul. Its strange how these type of incidents never happen in the middle of the field.

totally agree with that. although I think they happen less often in the middle of the field because it's the point furthest away from the goal or touch line. The penalty area is the only space on the pitch you're likely to have a defender and attacker busting a gut to be the first to a ball, especially coming from the same angle. in those moments the reward for both players (scoring the goal/preventing the goal) is much higher than anywhere else on the pitch so A, attacker more likely to be pushing themselves to the limit and far easier to topple and B, far higher frequency of such scenarios occurring.

Sterling, Young and Gerrard are diving words removed though, do not get me wrong.

Surely it should be like handball in that situation....commentator always goes "where's he supposed to put his hand" I'd say where's he supposed to put his sliding kneecap. That said he really should stay on his feet particularly when the game is practically over.

As an aside, got to love the way Benteke takes a penalty. Makes it look so simple. Dunno whether he'd try it for Belgium in a penalty shoot out in the summer though!

48 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

For those who haven't seen the incident here it is.   The alternative angle shows contact between Damien Delaney's knee and Benteke's heel.  Benteke was clearly looking for contact and went down when he felt it.   

100% went down to win the penalty. Could have easily carried on without that carrot.

On 6 March 2016 at 18:59, The_Rev said:

Jacques Cousteau would have been pleased with Benteke's dive for the penalty. 

Dive or not it's a clear penalty .. Defender got punished for mistiming his tackle and missing the ball ...he takes Benteke's back leg with his knee , clear contact and he's entitled to go down ... Unlike say Surez the other year v Guzan who went down in anticipation of a contact that neither came 

On 05/03/2016 at 18:53, The_Rev said:

Cristiano Ronaldo with four goals today.  He's got 39 goals in 35 appearances in 2015/16, 12 assists too.  For a bloke who is supposedly having a bad season he's doing quite well. 

Hasn't turned up in the big games though like the defeats against Atletico and Barcelona

On 06/03/2016 at 20:41, VillaChris said:

Surely it should be like handball in that situation....commentator always goes "where's he supposed to put his hand" I'd say where's he supposed to put his sliding kneecap. That said he really should stay on his feet particularly when the game is practically over.

As an aside, got to love the way Benteke takes a penalty. Makes it look so simple. Dunno whether he'd try it for Belgium in a penalty shoot out in the summer though!

Everybody knows Benteke does that so why doesn't the goalkeeper just stand still and wait for Benteke to make the move

Â