Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Tony Morley is associated with Aston Villa.

Therefore Woodytom HAS to moan about it. I think he might have some sort of contract that forces him to do it.

Is 'Official Club Moaner' a paid position I wonder?

Anyway, trying to drag this back on topic, doesn't Tony Morley appear on AVTV as an analyst from time to time? So him criticising players (however many) for lack of effort seems like not a small deal. 

I actually think we need to get back to the 'cheap' academy model that Doug was trying to make us sustainable on. 

On hindsight I think if Ellis had stayed and Lerner had not opened his chequebook initially we could have built a squad around the likes of Cahill, Ridgewell, Davis, Whittingham, Gardner, Albrighton etc. All our academy graduates who we sold for dirt cheap during the MON-Garde period have become decent Premier League-standard players. We need to trust in our academy and rebuild the Southampton way in the Championship, slowly bring up a solid batch of pros.  

Edited by Alpaywasawesome
  • Like 3

Anyway, trying to drag this back on topic, doesn't Tony Morley appear on AVTV as an analyst from time to time? So him criticising players (however many) for lack of effort seems like not a small deal. 

The fact that he can sit through 90 minutes+ of Jack Woodward's burbling and remain sane is a even bigger deal.
  • Like 2

I know we are all supposed to hate him and so on but whatever.

Very nice gesture from John Terr, paying out of his own pocket for a young fans funeral. Not a lot of money for him, but probably means the world for the family.

Footballer John Terry has paid for the funeral of an eight-year-old Chelsea fan, who recently died from leukaemia.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-36014630

Might be a bit OT

• Like 1

On 10 April 2016 at 19:02, Woodytom said:

Does my head in when ppl like Tony Morley come out and say 1 or 2 need to take a look at themselves.

1 or 2?

And don't bottle it, name them! 

If he did that he would lose his job at the club....they wasn't the best paid in those days, he needs spondulux.

FWiW i think he has said a lot.

Its not really his job to be unpopular with the club to suit us, he has already made a

tentative stab at it....its as much as we can hope for.

Its the new manager that needs to sort it out.

5 hours ago, Alpaywasawesome said:

I actually think we need to get back to the 'cheap' academy model that Doug was trying to make us sustainable on. 

On hindsight I think if Ellis had stayed and Lerner had not opened his chequebook initially we could have built a squad around the likes of Cahill, Ridgewell, Davis, Whittingham, Gardner, Albrighton etc. All our academy graduates who we sold for dirt cheap during the MON-Garde period have become decent Premier League-standard players. We need to trust in our academy and rebuild the Southampton way in the Championship, slowly bring up a solid batch of pros.  

I think you make a good point.

I have always felt Randy's money has been a paradox for us......we bought better when we had less money.

.....and a better attitude existed at the club.

Edited by TRO

42 minutes ago, sne said:

Very nice gesture from John Terr, paying out of his own pocket for a young fans funeral. Not a lot of money for him, but probably means the world for the family.

Footballer John Terry has paid for the funeral of an eight-year-old Chelsea fan, who recently died from leukaemia.

Might be a bit OT

Theres a good side to most people. Fair play to him its a wonderful gesture.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, sne said:

Might be a bit OT

Wow my hatred for him has gone down significantly. Top gesture

15 hours ago, ermie123 said:

Yes about time a footballer thought of someone else for a change.  It was a very compassionate act.

i think a lot of them do, it just doesnt always make the press

even gabby for all his faults seems to do a fair bit with that kid through acorns

Although I am angry at our players i somewhat believe that we need to keep hold onto a lot of our squad if we are to come back up straightaway.

We have premiership players in our squad despite them not performing at the required standard. I would keep these players because they would be too strong for most of the teams in that league;

Goalkeepers

• Steer 
  • Bunn

Defenders

• Amavi 
  • Clark
  • Okore
  • Cissokho 
  • Hutton

Midfielders

• Gana
  • Sinclair
  • Sanchez
  • Westwood
  • Gardner
  • Lyden
  • Grealish
  • Traore 

Strikers

• Gestede
  • Ayew
  • Kozak

Coupled with a few quality championship players to help our squad with the extra games and know how, i genuinely believe that we would have too much quality for the majority of teams in that league.

Edited by Reivax_Villa

It's the attitude i'm most concerned about.

If the attitude isn't right we don't stand a chance in that league. It's a long slump and requires commitment.

Not convinced the current squad would stay in the division next season let alone compete at the top end.

The quality is also questionable.

• Like 3

The reality is that if we change the majority of our squad we will be even weaker than what we are now. 

There is no chance that we would get promoted if we rebuild the majority of our squad for the season ahead. 

Keep the core, remove the bad eggs and support the team with some new players. 

10 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

The reality is that if we change the majority of our squad we will be even weaker than what we are now. 

There is no chance that we would get promoted if we rebuild the majority of our squad for the season ahead. 

Keep the core, remove the bad eggs and support the team with some new players. 

Have to disagree with you here, in that we have no core, we have no spine to build around!  I think we have to basically start again and that doesn't necessarily mean that we will be weaker.  If we don't remove the bulk of this squad the culture/ losing mentality won't change.  In all honestly I wouldn't particularly miss any of the current group and would be more than happy to support a new team.  

• Like 2

Aston Villa are set to be relegated from the Premier League on Saturday with caretaker manager Eric Black admitting he is battling against potential “anarchy” in the squad.

Villa’s fate could finally be confirmed before they even step out against Manchester United if Norwich avoid defeat against Sunderland, their first relegation since 1987.

The former European Cup winners have lost eight games in a row and their preparations for the trip to Old Trafford have been typically turbulent after Gabby Agbonlahor was ordered to take a two-week fitness regime because he is not fit enough to play.

Villa have also announced that redundancies will be inevitable as they move to axe staff in readiness for the Championship, with over 100 staff members in danger of losing their jobs.

And Black has delivered a chilling assessment of the task in front of him by conceding he is fighting a possible rebellion in the dressing room.

“These are the hardest circumstances because this club is going to be relegated – that has become very clear to everybody. It’s not an easy situation in terms of motivating players,” he said.

“This could very easily implode. It could very easily turn into anarchy, it could easily happen. 

“I’m going to try and ensure that is not the case. I can only put certain parameters down to ensure that doesn’t happen. We’ll see what happens thereafter. If they’re all relegated and decide they don’t want to play tomorrow I’ve only got certain things I can do.

“The players are waiting to see what’s going to happen here. They’re all in limbo. They’re probably going to be relegated. They are not great elements to motivate yourself every single day to do whatever.

“That’s my responsibility and I take that fully and will do my utmost to ensure that it continues to be done on an extremely professional basis.”

Black said he “hoped” the players would understand the impact of relegation on the staff, after experiencing similar turmoil at Birmingham at Motherwell.

Black says Villa are in a "horrible situation"

Villa held a meeting for all staff on Monday at the stadium and new chairman Steve Hollis painted a bleak picture of the club’s finances.

“You would hope it affects the players. I’ve been at clubs when they have been relegated and it is sad  circumstances. People lose their livelihoods and it’s certainly not to be taken lightly in any way shape or form,” said Black.

“It is a horrible situation. I was at Motherwell when we went into administration, a lot of people had been there for many years and lost their jobs. At Birmingham there were cuts when we went down. 

“I certainly know it is not easy. The owners of the club have to take decisions. There is not a well of money. Decisions have to be made. I am sure they will do it in the right way.”  

Villa are 15 points adrift of Norwich after only recording three league wins all season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/15/aston-villa-caretaker-eric-black-admits-to-potential-anarchy-as/

"If they’re all relegated and decide they don’t want to play tomorrow I’ve only got certain things I can do. The players are waiting to see what’s going to happen here. They’re all in limbo. They’re probably going to be relegated. They are not great elements to motivate yourself every single day to do whatever."

Our players have not wanted to play all season if they don't want to play for us now because this has led to our relegation then we should not be paying them. They should not need to be motivated. Is playing for thousands of pounds a week and the fans not enough for them? :rolleyes:

Â