The Division

mightysasquatch

Release is fast approaching, whom amongst us played the beta(s) & if so what were your impressions?

I've played the Alpah, Closed Beta & open Beta. My thoughts over those sessions still hasn't changed that much, game play is tight. Combat feels good & well balanced, best cover system in a game I've played. Interesting skill development when you dig round the inventory menus, some nice rpg elements & again if you look/dig into the menus your find crafting sections/more perks/Skill trees.

what I didn't like was the environment all that much, I enjoy post incident settings but the world just felt so flat to me. Missions are repetative, the enemies & their types pretty forgettable...I'm not sure I can buy into bullet sponge gang members. I love damage output numbers eg Diablo/Destiny but shooting someone in a hoodie just didn't seem to feel right.

The dark zone was a mess, no real rhyme or reason. I've said before but I experienced two game types:

1. everyone (almost) works together vs the PVE environment & you will have a player(s) camping extraction...the match turns into a revenge fest.
  2. the majority of people just go rouge, the ensuing carnage turns into a revenge fest again & isn't that enjoyable to even be envolved in....then you have the Campers at extraction still.

If Destiny was light on content/repetitive while even running all three character I'm already having serious reservations about the game beyond the story. I'm hoping at release we see what the end game is here as if there's not much past story mode I'll probably miss this one.

Edited by limpid
fixed formatting

I have played this game rather extensively over the last month. I had played it before at events but they mis-sold what the Dark Zone was at those events almost forcing us to play PVP which is part of it but isn't all of it.

So I have put 53 hours into the two beta tests combined. 28 hours closed beta (PC), 17 hours open beta (PC) and 8 hours open beta (XBOX ONE) and for the most part I thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually went into the game not expecting much and was actually pleasantly surprised by the depth in the role playing elements, it reminded me a lot of a third person Diablo.

I was absolutely enamoured by the world they had created as having been to New York several times it was a blast to explore a run down 1:1 scale recreation of a place I now so well. The level of detail is second to none and it makes every other studio that has based games in New York appear lazy as this game is so authentic and true to life, sure not everything is there as that would be impossible but most of it is and aside from some licencing issues with some buildings it's amazing. 

As for the game itself the gameplay is jarring as it is an RPG in a real world setting so that AK-47 you have been conditioned to believe drops someone in 2 hits takes 16 in this, but that is standard RPG stuff so if you can see past that then you should have no problems liking this game. Though that does bring me to one of my minor complaints and that is I'm concerned that the full game and expanded content won't have enough variety, this isn't a fantasy game so they can't go wild with raids full or orcs and a massive 87ft tall ogre in the middle so that concerns me, but I like what I have played of the gameplay.

The Dark Zone is fun and maybe I had more luck that others but I was in game chat 24/7 talking to randoms and forming all sorts of alliances, sure I got ganked from time to time by rogues but that is what the Dark Zone is. In my 53 hours I probably got killed by a rogue that I wasn't actively trying to kill maybe once every 6 or so hours, so to me it was relatively tame and balanced. Sure some sessions were more rogue heavy than others, but that just meant more people to hunt down and kill which 90% of the time I or my team were the ones victorious.

So my overall experience with The Division is one of great enjoyment. The second the open beta ended I bought the Gold Edition on PC and I cannot wait to dive into the full game. I enjoyed it so much I have literally been having withdrawals as I don't want to play anything else right now but The Division..      

I think that's where I'm struggling to buy into it....I love RPG based games but I found myself just getting annoyed with bullet sponge gang bangers. Like you say in Diablo/destiny you can buy into it because you're shooting at aliens/demons.

I'm just going to have to play it myself with all the content (at that point) but again as you posted the grind in this maybe poor due to lack of things to do.

i thought it was actually a lot like watch dogs in that its a decent enough 6 or 7 out of 10 game, good enough to put some hours in to but not enough to properly grab me, its just missing something like i cant put my finger on, that little bit of magic that drags it up a notch, if i bought it id probably forget ive got it another a couple of months

It's on my rental list, at the very least it's going to stop me swearing at Dark Souls 2 after I get ganked by a hollow soldier I never saw for the 457th time.

17 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Really hoped this thread would have been busy with positive comments

I liked it.. I wouldn't put 53 hours into a game's beta tests if I didn't. It's a quality time sink that can offer some truly brilliant player interaction provided you play using in-game chat and not hiding out in party chat. 

On ‎29‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 21:18, villa4europe said:

i thought it was actually a lot like watch dogs in that its a decent enough 6 or 7 out of 10 game, good enough to put some hours in to but not enough to properly grab me, its just missing something like i cant put my finger on, that little bit of magic that drags it up a notch, if i bought it id probably forget ive got it another a couple of months

Sounds like a pretty standard Ubisoft game. Looks good, plays passable but it has no soul. Watch Dogs was the same.

• Like 2

Been on since about midday. It does play well & now being able to upgrade the base has opened up some new abilites/skills, along with that seeing some different weapons it's made it better. I do like that you can match make main missions.

Bit of a lie from the developers on the Character creation mind, it's extremely limited. I'm enjoying it but nothing I've not seen already. 

• Like 1

Played a few hours with it. No multiplayer yet, just single. Opening up the map pretty well, lots of side missions and not to shabby graphically either. 

• Like 1

On 08/03/2016 at 15:28, hogso said:

Read that people are griefing new players by blocking a doorway at the start meaning you can't proceed? Oops

Run into the player blocking the door and you teleport through them.. It's only a grief for those new to the game that don't understand the technique or have never played MMO's with collision before. 

Â