The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

The public no longer believes it is necessary to leave the EU to control immigration in an extraordinary turnaround since the Brexit referendum, a survey has found,

Voters – including Leave supporters – said they now judge that existing EU rules provide “enough control” on incomers from the continent, without the need for the UK to pull out.

Far from demanding an immigration crackdown, no less than 71 per cent support allowing EU migrants to come to the UK either to work or study – including 62 per cent of Leave voters from 2016.

The results represent a striking shift from three years ago, when a widespread anti-immigration sentiment fuelled the Brexit vote, rather than a general revolt against the system as many politicians claimed.

Indie

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is being misreported by the Indie. The research looked at respondent attitudes once EU migration controls had been explained to them, and the finding that existing EU rules provide enough control was conditional on that.

Unfortunately, that isn't representative of knowledge among the general public, so migration will continue to be a Brexit issue.

Better summary of the research here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2019/sep/most-britons-think-eu-immigration-rules-would-provide-enough-control

Dr Lee de-Wit, Director of the Political Psychology Lab at Cambridge University, said: “A lot of research in psychology has explored the role of misinformation in political campaigns, but this poll highlights the simpler phenomenon of ‘missing information’. Given the UK has been debating Brexit for over four years, I am surprised that only 20% of our sample knew about the EU’s three-month immigration rule. Whatever your position on Brexit, this seems like a striking reflection on the quality of political debate in the UK.”

• Like 1

For those interested in the chlorinated chicken etc issue, the FRC briefing note is available here: https://foodresearch.org.uk/publications/chlorinated-chicken-lower-standards/

On 29 August 2019, in an interview with Sky News, Professor Sir Ian Boyd, retiring Chief Scientific Adviser at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), commented on the question of whether imports of chlorinated chicken and beef reared with artificial hormones should be allowed into the UK. He said that these were matters that should be decided by ‘consumer choice’. This briefing explains why the issues he raised – analysed in depth in previous FRC Brexit Briefings – are highly contested and sensitive; why we would be concerned if the UK allowed these products in under new post-Brexit trade deals, such as the one mooted with the US; and why Defra and other bodies such as the Food Standards Agency, which are supposed to protect consumers, should not duck the issues by saying this can be left to ‘consumer choice’. Opening up British markets to US-produced meats and vegetables is far more than a concern about animal welfare; it implies significant risks to public health and a radical decline in food quality standards which would be unprecedented and unacceptable in the UK. This must be prevented by robust commitments, which should be included in all legal agreements in any post-Brexit trade-related negotiations.

Talk is that the only way out now for Johnson is for Parliament to pass something and that in October we might see the DWA come back with a font change or something.

Were that the plan (something I'd be sceptical on), surely it goes like this:

* a cross-party amendment is added saying it needs to be subject to a referendum

*as that is (the first time) the official policy of all parties apart from the Tories and DUP,  the amendment carries with support from some of the former Tories

*with the amendment carried, Johnson now whips against his own bill, but the same majority for the amendment sees the bill passed

Have I missed something that means the above isn't how it would play our? And if not, surely the current talk is nonsense as he would never risk the above so won't bring a vote on 'a deal' to the current Parliament?

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Meanwhile deep in his lair, the Mekon plots the next steps

Beyond a joke. Even those who have been  defending this clown on the basis that "the remainers have been doing xyz"... Pathetic (and incorrect) excuse btw...cant continue to think this is right. 

On 14/09/2019 at 14:23, bickster said:

So he was born in 56 and probably doesn't really remember much before he was 5, that's 1961. Rationing ended two years before he was born in 1954. File under C unit

maybe he has the same powers as Stewart Lee and witnessed events before he was born

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well, the Lib Dems have firmly secured my vote that's for sure.

If it wasn't for the last 9 years from them, they probably would have mine as well. Whilst memory is short in politics, it isn't that short. 

2 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

If it wasn't for the last 9 years from them, they probably would have mine as well. Whilst memory is short in politics, it isn't that short. 

They are all as inept as eachother......at least the libdems will be inept but well intentioned......

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

I have very similar feelings. A lot depends now on how Corbyn and Labour respond. Overturning Brexit is my priority, which inevitably means swallowing some pride and backing people I have little taste for (in any party). Right now I'd welcome an electoral pact and a broad left coalition government (Lab/LibDem/Plaid/SNP/Green) to see off the Tory/Farage lot. It would come loaded with problems, but I'd live with that. 

• Like 4

Â