The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It really cannot.

He's right actually.

Proroguing is a normal function. That isn't what this court case is/has been about though.

The court have ruled that Boris (and Rees-Mogg) have lied to the Queen about the purpose. The Queens decision to prorogue is immutable. It's her duty to grant the request on the advice of ministers...those ministers have now been legally found to have provided false advice.

This would be shocking except Boris has never met a woman he hasn't lied to...

Edited by desensitized43
editted
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

He's right actually.

Proroguing is a normal function. That isn't what this court case is/has been about though.

The court have ruled that Boris (and Rees-Mogg) have lied to the Queen about the purpose. The Queens decision to prorogue is immutable. It's her duty to grant the request on the advice of ministers...those ministers have now been legally found to have provided false advice.

Yep.

The act in itself is routine, but the motivations and the length are not.

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Not sure how true the figures are.... but it's interesting reading if true. Not that anyone will be surprised by it. 

The figures seem pretty accurate but used with some slippery wording. There are no such things as WTO tariffs, these are EU tariffs that would apply to the UK under WTO rules. Similarly, they are import tariffs that would apply to British exporters, export tariffs would be a completely different kettle of fish.

I do love a free trade argument paired with protectionist stats though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

🤦‍♂️

I nearly posted that - but to be fair to the author, the headline is rather misleading. 

The article is saying that he will be the Brexit Icarus, overreaching and failing if he doesn't do blah blah / etc / pay-wall

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

I nearly posted that - but to be fair to the author, the headline is rather misleading. 

The article is saying that he will be the Brexit Icarus, overreaching and failing if he doesn't do blah blah / etc / pay-wall

The sub-editor can get the face-palm instead then. 

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Not sure how true the figures are.... but it's interesting reading if true. Not that anyone will be surprised by it. 

And the being a part of the EU costs 0.8p per pound of tax. 

I see a disparity here. 

The costs are nothing compared to the potential increases in things we buy, it's mega outweighed should we come out of the EU. 

So now the only arguments left are;

1. Do you hate Eastern Europeans coming over (like a guy from Ipswich (60 ex-solider) did on 5live yesterday)? If so, would you prefer people from India and other Asian countries (I can see how that will pan out!)

2. We'd be more autonomous! I quite like the standards the EU have put in place, I don't mind unelected officials because at least they aren't Tories. But if that's your argument, fair enough. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't mind unelected officials because at least they aren't Tories. But if that's your argument, fair enough. 

Verses the stronger argument of " at least they aren't Tories "  ?

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Verses the stronger argument of " at least they aren't Tories "  ?

Anyone who isn't Tory or a Tory-sympathiser automatically starts higher up the chain for me.

Voting leave was the racist vote, it's still the racist vote, that leavers try and argue it's got nothing to do with racism is perpetually hilarious.

They had a guy on LBC last week who said he voted leave cos there's too many brown people in his local supermarket - that, give or take is pretty much the mindset of anyone who voted leave, that 52% of the population think that way is pretty scary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Anyone who isn't Tory or a Tory-sympathiser automatically starts higher up the chain for me.

Voting leave was the racist vote, it's still the racist vote, that leavers try and argue it's got nothing to do with racism is perpetually hilarious.

They had a guy on LBC last week who said he voted leave cos there's too many brown people in his local supermarket - that, give or take is pretty much the mindset of anyone who voted leave, that 52% of the population think that way is pretty scary.

Guy from Ipswich on 5live yesterday night said "I'm not being racist, but when I walk down the high street and alls I can hear is foreign voices" :lol: 

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Guy from Ipswich on 5live yesterday night said "I'm not being racist, but when I walk down the high street and alls I can hear is foreign voices" :lol: 

In the 2011 census the population of Ipswich was 133,384 and is made up of approximately 50% females and 50% males.

The average age of people in Ipswich is 38, while the median age is lower at 36.

86.4% of people living in Ipswich were born in England. Other top answers for country of birth were 1.0% Scotland, 1.0% India, 0.6% Bangladesh, 0.5% Wales, 0.4% Ireland, 0.4% United States, 0.3% Philippines, 0.3% Northern Ireland, 0.3% South Africa.cd__188.95.25.2103368221311568216659_0.png

92.4% of people living in Ipswich speak English. The other top languages spoken are 1.8% Polish, 0.7% Portuguese, 0.6% Lithuanian, 0.5% Bengali, 0.5% Kurdish, 0.2% Russian, 0.2% Tagalog/Filipino, 0.2% Latvian, 0.2% Turkish. cd__188.95.25.2103368221311568216659_1.png

The religious make up of Ipswich is 53.1% Christian, 34.5% No religion, 2.7% Muslim, 0.8% Hindu, 0.4% Buddhist, 0.3% Sikh, 0.1% Jewish, 0.1% Agnostic

. cd__188.95.25.2103368221311568216659_2.png

http://localstats.co.uk/census-demographics/england/east-of-england/ipswich

Shrug emoji

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Shrug emoji

It was also noted somewhere that the areas with the highest worries about immigration actually were the most predominantly white British areas of the country.

Fear of a black planet

5 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

He's right actually.

Proroguing is a normal function.

He isn't.

Prorogation is perfectly normal. Prorogation of this length for dubious reasons is not normal.

It would be like calling Digby 'normal' because he's a dog.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

It was also noted somewhere that the areas with the highest worries about immigration actually were the most predominantly white British areas of the country.

Fear of a black planet

This certainly matches up with my experience of knowing a lot of people in rural Somerset who have huge problems with immigration, whereas no one I know from London seems to have had any issues at all, whether perceived or actual.

But then this is an area that they also complain about all the Londoners coming in and buying the houses, so they're not the most open to 'outsiders' generally.

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't think that's true. All racists voted leave, yes, but not all leave voters were racists. I think a lot were gullible ninnies who bought the "£350M a week to the NHS instead of giving it to unelected bureaucrats" line. But they won't back down now, it's gone too far. 

You know I used to say/think the same thing but honestly, I think I greatly underestimated the level of institutional racism in this country.

• Like 1

Â