The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

7 hours ago, ml1dch said:

The other way that it's being presented is that anyone who isn't a moron would just laugh at it, so they can't publish it.

The highlight is that Northern Ireland isn't important, but a Star Wars-style missile defence system is crucial, because y'know, space.

Give it ten years and people will be as keen to admit that this was a good idea as war in Iraq was a good idea. Or announcing at Christmas dinner that you think that your 15 year old niece is hot was a good idea.

I saw that about the missile defence system. It is of course gratifying to see them taking this situation they've got us into so seriously. 

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Blimey he's still knocking around? I remember when "the Vulcan" was challenging John Major's leadership.

He hasn't got any more appealing since. 

• Like 2

So the copyright directive is back on the agenda this week (tomorrow I think).

Not a regular occurrence that I'm interested in what happens in Strasbourg on a day to day basis but It will be interesting, if the bill passes, how that effects VT.

The 'link tax' would that be an issue in how we currently use links? And the 'meme ban' obviously may limit the way we use images presently. 

Is it all just a way of getting a few extra £££ out of you behind the scenes?

The precis of the Economists for Economic Oblivion report released today basically seems to be:

1) China and India aren't in the EU

2) China and India don't have a consolidated Free Trade Agreement with the EU.

3) China and India have faster growth rates that countries in the EU

4) Stands to reason that the UK's growth will be better if we just copy the arrangements that China and India have with the EU.

Done.

Edited by ml1dch

Britain’s biggest car manufacturer, Jaguar Land Rover, has launched a blistering attack on Theresa May’s handling of Brexit as leading Eurosceptics claim there is “nothing to fear” about crashing out of the EU without a deal.

Ralf Speth, the chief executive, told the prime minister that the company’s factories faced grinding to a halt and “tens of thousands” of jobs in the sector could be lost if she failed to reach an agreement with Brussels.

In a surprise intervention at a landmark car industry summit organised by the government, he described the prospect of a cliff-edge break with the EU as “horrifying”, warning that if wrong decisions were taken now it could result in the “worst of times” for the UK.

He stressed the company was “firmly committed” to the UK but warned that a hard Brexit would cost it £1.2bn a year, wiping out profits. “What decisions will we be forced to make if Brexit means not merely that costs go up, but that we cannot physically build cars on time and on budget in the UK?”

Grauniad

On 11/09/2018 at 11:34, VILLAMARV said:

So the copyright directive is back on the agenda this week (tomorrow I think).

Not a regular occurrence that I'm interested in what happens in Strasbourg on a day to day basis but It will be interesting, if the bill passes, how that effects VT.

The 'link tax' would that be an issue in how we currently use links? And the 'meme ban' obviously may limit the way we use images presently. 

Is it all just a way of getting a few extra £££ out of you behind the scenes?

Controversial new copyright laws have been approved by members of the European Parliament.

The legislation had been changed since July when the first version of the copyright directive was voted down. Critics say it remains problematic. Many musicians and creators claim the reforms are necessary to fairly compensate artists. But opponents fear that the plans could destroy user-generated content, memes and parodies. Leaders of the EU's member states still need to sign off on the rule changes before the individual countries have to draft local laws to put them into effect. The vote in Strasbourg was 438 in favour of the measures, 226 against and 39 abstentions.

'Link tax'

MEPs voted on a series of changes to the original directive, the most controversial parts are known as Article 13 and Article 11. Article 13 puts the onus on web giants to take measures to ensure that agreements with rights holders for the use of their work are working. Critics say that would require all internet platforms to filter content put online by users, which many believe would be an excessive restriction on free speech. Article 11 is also controversial because it forces online platforms to pay news organisations for the use of their content. MEPs settled for a version of the directive that compromised on some of the methods news organisations will be able to use to charge web companies for links to content. The final version clarifies that this will not include the sharing of hyperlinks to content such as news stories. It also watered down a proposal for upload filters to automatically delete content that violates copyright.

EU commissioners Andrus Ansip and Mariya Gabriel, who proposed the reform, said it was "an essential step to achieving our common objective of modernising the copyright rules in the European Union".

Phil Sherrell, head of media, entertainment and sports at law firm Bird & Bird said: "Rights holders will be delighted as the directive provides them with additional rights and should strengthen their ability to negotiate royalty payments from online platforms that use their work." But, he added: "The devil remains in the detail; the next few months will see the EU Council get the directive into final form for it to be passed into law - potentially before Brexit - and there remain opportunities for those disappointed by today's vote to try to alter the drafting."

And Shireen Permohamed, a partner at law firm Harbottle and Lewis said fears that Article 13 would affect the sharing of parodies and net memes were unfounded.

"Although we have not yet seen the agreed text, an EU spokesperson has confirmed that any action taken by online platforms must be designed so that it doesn't catch legitimate use of content, such as permitted quotations or parodies," she told the BBC.

Earlier this week, YouTube'sIts chief business officer Robert Kyncl said that endorsement of Article 13 risked "discouraging or even prohibiting platforms from hosting user-generated content".

Musician Wyclef Jean also spoke out against the directive, appealing to MEPs before the vote to "embrace and improve the internet, rather than attempt to block and hinder it".

But many other musicians, including Sir Paul McCartney, had expressed their support for the changes. Impala, the association for European independent music companies, said after the vote that it was "a great day for Europe's creators".

Julia Reda, an MEP who has fought the changes, tweeted her disappointment that the two most controversial parts of the directive had been approved by fellow parliamentarians.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45495550

In the wake of the JohnLewis financials Demonic Raab effectively tells businesses, stop blaming Brexit because you’re shit at business.

A man who has never been “in business” in his life, telling a company whose profits have fallen by 99% and have been consistently good until this point that they don’t realise it’s because they’re shit and not Brexit that’s to blame

Utter word removed

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

a company whose profits have fallen by 99%

Bit of shocker that,  even a few bad managment decisions in relation to price promisies etc cannot do that in the timescale given unless unpredicable external pressures on the business have increased,  I wonder why that is.

Could be the start of a domino effect of one thing after another with the high street now I suspect.  If JohnLewis are in a bit of trouble with a solid  business business beneath them (or so we thought) wtf is going to happen the the M&S's of this world.  There might be some space to rent on the big high streets soon.

*"Raab" I only ever think of Nessbit,  it's all I ever picture when I read his name the word removed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Bit of shocker that,  even a few bad managment decisions in relation to price promisies etc cannot do that in the timescale given unless unpredicable external pressures on the business have increased,  I wonder why that is.

Could be the start of a domino effect of one thing after another with the high street now I suspect.  If JohnLewis are in a bit of trouble with a solid  business business beneath them (or so we thought) wtf is going to happen the the M&S's of this world.  There might be some space to rent on the big high streets soon.

*"Raab" I only ever think of Nessbit,  it's all I ever picture when I read his name the word removed.

Not even really bad management decisions. The “Never Knowingly Undersold” thing has been the company philosophy for many decades. It's really a big factor in it’s almost perpetual success. What I didn't see mentioned was that JLP is a sort of workers co-op, the staff are partners in the company and receive a bonus based on profits each year. That’s money out of people’s pockets if the profits have dropped that dramatically, as the bonus is usually in the magnitude of a month to two months wages.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

In the wake of the JohnLewis financials Demonic Raab effectively tells businesses, stop blaming Brexit because you’re shit at business.

While we're apportioning blame, can we blame Brexit for Raab being shit at Brexit?

• Haha 1

Â