Jump to content

The now-enacted will of (some of) the people


blandy
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter
3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is so daft.

Most EU citizens only have ID cards, as you only need one to travel, even flying, within Schengen.

So a good chance any HGV drivers who fancy coming over to help get us out of our current predicament will not be allowed. More great planning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:
This is so daft.

Most EU citizens only have ID cards, as you only need one to travel, even flying, within Schengen.

I genuinely didn't know this was a thing. I have to show a password when travelling from Schengen countries to the UK (except Ireland) and I didn't realise that an exemption was made for Euro ID cards.

I agree that it's daft to remove it though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

So a good chance any HGV drivers who fancy coming over to help get us out of our current predicament will not be allowed. More great planning.

I would guess in most EU countries it takes a few weeks to get your international passport. So I'm sure those drivers will be there in about a month.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
Just now, AXD said:

I would guess in most EU countries it takes a few weeks to get your international passport. So I'm sure those drivers will be there in about a month.

Or they just won’t bother as it’s even less worth while now, and we have sent another message that we don’t really want them here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
Just now, Genie said:

Or they just won’t bother as it’s even less worth while now, and we have sent another message that we don’t really want them here.

Obvious sarcasm wasn't obviously obvious

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Obvious sarcasm wasn't obviously obvious

ah yes, I missed that (point stands though).

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

Eastern European hauliers are surely likely to have passports though? As they will be driving to countries outside the Schengen area regularly.

(I agree it's an unnecessary and backward move, I just don't think it'll make much difference to the haulier situation)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Eastern European hauliers are surely likely to have passports though? As they will be driving to countries outside the Schengen area regularly.

(I agree it's an unnecessary and backward move, I just don't think it'll make much difference to the haulier situation)

It'll make a difference to income from incoming tourists

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
1 minute ago, bickster said:

It'll make a difference to income from incoming tourists

Yes, absolutely, it'll make a huge difference in other areas. I used to manage a language school, and loads of our European students only brought ID cards; presumably some of them didn't have passports, and I very much doubt they'd have bothered to get one to study in Birmingham versus going to Dublin instead.

Purely commenting on the haulier aspect above.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd like the EU to insist we have an ID card to travel there.

So would The Government.  Surprised they haven't tried to negotiate it to be honest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Genie said:

According to Twitter there’s 200 million EU nationals who have an ID card but not a passport.

Good job we’re so self sufficient.

My wife didn't have one. She's well-educated, travels frequently, and all-round normal.

If she didn't have one over here, millions of other won't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â