The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is so daft.

Most EU citizens only have ID cards, as you only need one to travel, even flying, within Schengen.

So a good chance any HGV drivers who fancy coming over to help get us out of our current predicament will not be allowed. More great planning.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:
This is so daft.

Most EU citizens only have ID cards, as you only need one to travel, even flying, within Schengen.

I genuinely didn't know this was a thing. I have to show a password when travelling from Schengen countries to the UK (except Ireland) and I didn't realise that an exemption was made for Euro ID cards.

I agree that it's daft to remove it though.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

So a good chance any HGV drivers who fancy coming over to help get us out of our current predicament will not be allowed. More great planning.

I would guess in most EU countries it takes a few weeks to get your international passport. So I'm sure those drivers will be there in about a month.

• Haha 1

Just now, AXD said:

I would guess in most EU countries it takes a few weeks to get your international passport. So I'm sure those drivers will be there in about a month.

Or they just won’t bother as it’s even less worth while now, and we have sent another message that we don’t really want them here.

Just now, Genie said:

Or they just won’t bother as it’s even less worth while now, and we have sent another message that we don’t really want them here.

Obvious sarcasm wasn't obviously obvious

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eastern European hauliers are surely likely to have passports though? As they will be driving to countries outside the Schengen area regularly.

(I agree it's an unnecessary and backward move, I just don't think it'll make much difference to the haulier situation)

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Eastern European hauliers are surely likely to have passports though? As they will be driving to countries outside the Schengen area regularly.

(I agree it's an unnecessary and backward move, I just don't think it'll make much difference to the haulier situation)

It'll make a difference to income from incoming tourists

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It'll make a difference to income from incoming tourists

Yes, absolutely, it'll make a huge difference in other areas. I used to manage a language school, and loads of our European students only brought ID cards; presumably some of them didn't have passports, and I very much doubt they'd have bothered to get one to study in Birmingham versus going to Dublin instead.

Purely commenting on the haulier aspect above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd like the EU to insist we have an ID card to travel there.

So would The Government.  Surprised they haven't tried to negotiate it to be honest.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Genie said:

According to Twitter there’s 200 million EU nationals who have an ID card but not a passport.

Good job we’re so self sufficient.

My wife didn't have one. She's well-educated, travels frequently, and all-round normal.

If she didn't have one over here, millions of other won't.

Â