The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

Looks like fuel shortages, as a child of HGV driver shortages are the next gift for us to enjoy.

we cannot blame the HGV driver shortage on Brexit, otherwise Poland wouldn't be 124K drivers short (which is more than our 76K), Germay between 45K & 60K and Europe as a whole at 400K short -  Brexit is not that far reaching.  

My figures have come from research done by Transport Intelligence and reported in Cold Chain news (a magazine for the temperature controlled logistics industry)

6 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

we cannot blame the HGV driver shortage on Brexit, otherwise Poland wouldn't be 124K drivers short (which is more than our 76K), Germay between 45K & 60K and Europe as a whole at 400K short -  Brexit is not that far reaching.  

My figures have come from research done by Transport Intelligence and reported in Cold Chain news (a magazine for the temperature controlled logistics industry)

https://trans.info/there-s-a-europe-wide-hgv-driver-shortage-so-why-do-uk-supply-chains-seem-more-disrupted-254524

The people behind the report elaborate here. 

After being asked that very question regarding the driver shortages in Poland and the apparent disparity in supply chain disruption compared to Great Britain, Mr Clover explained that post-Brexit changes have been an additional factor for UK supply chains.

11 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

Let's put it this way, we aren't closing down petrol stations over here.

26 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

I just googled fuel shortage and every single outlet links it to a shortage of HGV drivers.

The Independent - BP and Esso petrol stations closed as lorry driver shortage hits UK

The Guardian - UK petrol stations warn over fuel shortages due to lack of HGV drivers

The BBC - The closure of some petrol stations has reignited a row over lorry driver shortages in the UK.

Sky News - Motorists urged by Number 10 to 'shop for fuel as usual' as BP shuts some petrol stations. The company insists it has plenty of fuel but too few delivery drivers to keep up with demand as petrol provision becomes the supply chain problems described as a "cocktail of chaos"

Brexit very much a factor (but not the only factor).

Edited by Genie

16 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

No-one has said it is the only factor but it most certainly is a factor. There are other factors too, absolutely there are

The average age for HGV drivers has been very high for a long time and much like my industry lots of the older drivers retired as soon as the pandemic started, they won't be coming back. Thats a very big factor but...

The EU have introduced new rules for HGV drivers that limit their working time to 45 hours per week and that they must have 6 hotel stays per full working week. Formerly UK based EU nationals have returned to the EU because working conditions are so much better for them so this idea of putting them on the allowed to come here to work list, just isn't going to work because they'd be facing longer working hours and having to sleep in their cabs again. They left for the improved lifestyle. Brexit IS a factor

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As I'm due a two-year postponed holiday in south Wales in ten days, the prospect of a petrol crisis is pushing me over the edge. 

It's only BP and Esso that currently have an issue. Shell seem OK as do the supermarkets. It also only seems to be very sporadic. A petrol station may close for a day or so whilst waiting for a delivery but that's about it

The BP by ours that I use is always running out of fuel, even in pre-pandemic / pre-Brexit times. This makes me think they've always been short of drivers

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It's only BP and Esso that currently have an issue. Shell seem OK as do the supermarkets. It also only seems to be very sporadic. A petrol station may close for a day or so whilst waiting for a delivery but that's about it

The BP by ours that I use is always running out of fuel, even in pre-pandemic / pre-Brexit times. This makes me think they've always been short of drivers

Bit misleading of the BBC to have a picture of a closed Tesco forecourt as the main picture, then?

Edit:  I'm sure BP or Esso must provide to them

Edited by bobzy

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

The EU have introduced new rules for HGV drivers that limit their working time to 45 hours per week and that they must have 6 hotel stays per full working week

Is this written down somewhere (I don’t for a second think you’ve made it up, I’m just interested to read up on it)

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Drivers were pouring into Asda and Sainsbury’s by me this morning to fill up. Much, much busier than normal. 

Just now, Genie said:

Is this written down somewhere (I don’t for a second think you’ve made it up, I’m just interested to read up on it)

Probably, I got it from an article in some newspaper a couple of weeks ago, where they interviewed a Romanian HGV driver currently living Dover, that was going back for this very reason. Sorry I can't even remember which paper it was.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Drivers were pouring into Asda and Sainsbury’s by me this morning to fill up. Much, much busier than normal. 

Apparently they were queuing down the road last night at out BP garage. Still plenty of fuel when I went in at 8PM. The staff were pissed off because they'd been non-stop for about 4 hours

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Bit misleading of the BBC to have a picture of a closed Tesco forecourt as the main picture, then?

Edit:  I'm sure BP or Esso must provide to them

It varies, Tesco used to be Esso but delivered by Hoyer (about 6 years ago so can't vouch for that being current)

ASDA have their own fleet of tankers

Morrisons seem to have some link up with Shell

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Asda have just been bought by those guys up North who made their millions via a fleet of petrol stations. You’d assume they are going to be best placed to cope this this spike.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

It varies, Tesco used to be Esso but delivered by Hoyer (about 6 years ago so can't vouch for that being current)

Morrisons seem to have some link up with Shell

It's certainly Hoyer at the Tesco express near me. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just came on to post that the front pages are full of people pleading no panic buying of petrol..............which is the one thing absolutely guaranteed to cause panic buying of petrol.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I just came on to post that the front pages are full of people pleading no panic buying of petrol..............which is the one thing absolutely guaranteed to cause panic buying of petrol.

We just need Boris to say “there’s no need to panic buy, we won’t run out” to really confirm the forecourts will run dry.

• Like 1

Â