The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

We shit in the sea….

We shit in the sea….

Brexit bonanza!

We shit in the sea….

You're by the coast aren't you? You may as well cut out the middle man, it's better for the environment ;) 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You're by the coast aren't you? You may as well cut out the middle man, it's better for the environment ;) 

I have to drive all the way to Mid Wales to piss in a specific reservoir.

• Haha 1

This isn't the Brexit they were promised post #5093848923745

Cornwall may only get a maximum of £3million of cash from the Government to directly replace the £100m it could have been eligible for if the UK had remained in the EU, it has been claimed.

Prior to Brexit Cornwall had qualified for funding from the European Union due to it being recognised as one of the poorest regions in Europe.

As a result Cornwall could have been receiving £100m a year to help provide economic stimulus and support projects which would provide everything from employment and skills to infrastructure.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has previously stated that Cornwall would not miss out on any funding that it would have received if the UK had remained in the EU.

Falmouth Packet

• Like 1

Yet more hidden costs of Brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58492953

PayPal raises fees between UK and Europe

PayPal is introducing new fees for payments between businesses in the UK and those in Europe, from November.

British businesses will be charged a 1.29% fee for payments from the European Economic Area and vice versa.

Most currently pay about 0.5% in similar charges, which have remained unchanged since before the UK left the EU customs union and single market.

PayPal said it was now incurring extra costs, such as the rise in interchange fees between the UK and EEA.

European rules capping credit and debit card interchange fees at 0.2% and 0.3% no longer apply to UK businesses.

And both Visa and Mastercard have announced they will raise them fivefold from mid-October.

Most businesses will see their current 0.5% fee raised to 1.29% - still lower than PayPal's standard 1.99% for the rest of the world - but some of those with their own customised agreements with PayPal will have their existing rate raised by 1.29%.

The new fee was first mentioned on the same day the company announced it would accept cryptocurrency Bitcoin but details were not released until this week.

PayPal said it was "simplifying" its cross-border fees.

"In a highly competitive market, this will make it easier for these businesses to compare PayPal's pricing with that of other providers and to better appreciate the value we provide," it said.

The quote box hides the most interesting point "And both Visa and Mastercard have announced they will raise them fivefold from mid-October."

It's just a never ending erosion, a little here and a little there.  All adding up to more and money out of our pockets.  

Edited by sidcow

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Strangest spelling of civil unrest I’ve ever seen.

What argument are the hardcore leavers going to make against rejoining? 
There isn’t one.

The pandemic has proved that the EU do not control countries borders and are not telling countries what they can and cannot do. Also, that we’ve actually got more people crossing the channel as a direct result of leaving.

Then obviously, drivers, food, business, economy, supplies, beer, travel, studying, retiring etc etc all clear and obvious advantages of rejoining.

Edited by Genie

Just now, Genie said:

What argument are the hardcore leavers going to make against rejoining? 
There didn’t one.

The pandemic has proved that the EU do not control countries borders, and that we’ve actually got more people crossing the channel as a direct result of leaving.

Then obviously, drivers, food, business, economy, supplies, beer, travel, studying, retiring etc etc all clear and obvious advantages of rejoining.

To rejoin would be absolute proof we were not allowed to leave and covid was used so everything could be blamed on a Brexit which wasn’t allowed to be a success by traitors in the tory party.

You’re slam dunk election winner is an absolute misreading. it would be either a damp squid (sic) or the most divisive thing you could possibly do. It would tear things apart right now.

Look, I want this false union broken up. I think a strong rejoin campaign in England would be too violent and expensive a way of bringing it about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

To rejoin would be absolute proof we were not allowed to leave and covid was used so everything could be blamed on a Brexit which wasn’t allowed to be a success by traitors in the tory party.

You’re slam dunk election winner is an absolute misreading. it would be either a damp squid (sic) or the most divisive thing you could possibly do. It would tear things apart right now.

Look, I want this false union broken up. I think a strong rejoin campaign in England would be too violent and expensive a way of bringing it about.

Scotland and NI voted remain by some margin, and Scotland are pushing indyref2 as a ticket back in. 

A rejoin party would be good news for them wouldn’t it? It would take the headache of exactly how Scotland could become independent away too.

The most divisive thing that could happen has happened, the mental vote won and now everyone is worse off.

Rejoin winning might annoy those that voted leave whilst they enjoy all the benefits of what they didn’t want to happen.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Scotland and NI voted remain by some margin, and Scotland are pushing indyref2 as a ticket back in. 

A rejoin party would be good news for them wouldn’t it? It would take the headache of exactly how Scotland could become independent away too.

The most divisive thing that could happen has happened, the mental vote won and now everyone is worse off.

Rejoin winning might annoy those that voted leave whilst they enjoy all the benefits of what they didn’t want to happen.

I deliberately referenced England, not NI or Scotland.

I think we have very different uses of the word ‘annoy’.

England makes up 90% of the GB’s, what NI or Scotland want is close to utterly irrelevant and the people of England will not vote to rejoin Europe in the hope it appeases Scottish separatists. 

We would re join the EU on inferior terms to the ones we used to have. But here’s the rub, we could find ourselves asking to be let back in, and they could quite justifiably say no. Imagine what that would do for Global Britain.

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I deliberately referenced England, not NI or Scotland.

I think we have very different uses of the word ‘annoy’.

England makes up 90% of the GB’s, what NI or Scotland want is close to utterly irrelevant and the people of England will not vote to rejoin Europe in the hope it appeases Scottish separatists. 

We would re join the EU on inferior terms to the ones we used to have. But here’s the rub, we could find ourselves asking to be let back in, and they could quite justifiably say no. Imagine what that would do for Global Britain.

You’re right, England wouldn’t vote to rejoin the EU to appease Scottish separatists. It wouldn’t be a consideration, but might be a side affect. My theory is that we only need a small percent of the population to realise they were mugged off to make the difference. 

Theres a plethora of evidence to support that, and the news is full of people who admit they made a mistake.

There must be a lot of traditional Tories hurting because of Brexit that would vote to rejoin the EU for the many benefits.

There was a strong correlation between the elderly and Brexit, and I would bet my house on another strong correlation between Anti Vaxxers and Brexit. 

The demographics for leave have probably already changed since the vote. 

The vast majority the new voters from the last 5 years would vote to join the EU. 

My mother and father in law both voted leave and both have died since the vote. My son is now 18 and would definitely vote to join, my daughter would probably be 18 by the time another vote got organised and she would definitely vote to rejoin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

You’re right, England wouldn’t vote to rejoin the EU to appease Scottish separatists. It wouldn’t be a consideration, but might be a side affect. My theory is that we only need a small percent of the population to realise they were mugged off to make the difference. 

Theres a plethora of evidence to support that, and the news is full of people who admit they made a mistake.

There must be a lot of traditional Tories hurting because of Brexit that would vote to rejoin the EU for the many benefits.

You’re asking people to admit they were wrong, based on your understanding they think more about roaming charges and Nando’s than sticking one to the middle classes and the French.

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There was a strong correlation between the elderly and Brexit, and I would bet my house on another strong correlation between Anti Vaxxers and Brexit. 

The demographics for leave have probably already changed since the vote. 

The vast majority the new voters from the last 5 years would vote to join the EU. 

My mother and father in law both voted leave and both have died since the vote. My son is now 18 and would definitely vote to join, my daughter would probably be 18 by the time another vote got organised and she would definitely vote to rejoin. 

If your logic held, the last tory government would have been in 1935.

We all know that as a general stereotype, the elderly get bitter and twisted about the youth and very selfish about pensions over education. People get older and they get meaner and more selfish and more just generally tory in every nasty little way that tories are. Then the elderly die and kids turn 18.

Yet, somehow….

The thing with rejoining is, we'd never get a deal anything like as good as we had before, so is it really such a good option and would it really be that well supported?

The whole thing is a total disaster in every way and I don't see any route back to anything remotely resembling what we had.

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

The thing with rejoining is, we'd never get a deal anything like as good as we had before, so is it really such a good option and would it really be that well supported?

The whole thing is a total disaster in every way and I don't see any route back to anything remotely resembling what we had.

I’m glad we won’t ever get the deal we had, we don’t deserve it and it only served to annoy most member states anyway

Â